Recall Notice for import to Canada - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old May 7th, 2012, 7:41 am Thread Starter

Recall Notice for import to Canada

Just purchased a 2002 K1200LT. Taking it to Canada. Couldn't get a recall notice from any BMW dealers. They certainly are experts at "rip-off schemes". I have a friend in Florida who operates a Yamaha Bike Dealership and he has connections to BMW dealership. He obtained a letter of recall for me. The letter states that this is not to be used for export. I'm taking a chance and faxing it to Dept. of Transportation andyway and hope for the best. I purchased a Roadster last year and obtained the same letter and did get my form to have the car inspected. FYI, BMW Moncton, New Brunswick wanted 500.00 for a recall notice (same as for motorcycle) and 500.00 more for connecting daytime running lights. I purchased a part from Canadian Tire for 35.00 and my mechanic hooked it up for 50.00. Voila...85.00 versus 1000.00. Not to run on about the car on a bike forum but same rules apply for bikes

Has anyone had the recall notices rejected by DOT because the front page states "not to be used for export purposes")?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old May 7th, 2012, 8:59 am

Re: Recall Notice for import to Canada

garenteed i think they will reject it if that is what it says.

dont mean to sound like a prick but that is why you do your reasearch before purchase
in the u.s. some manufactures ie kawsaki honda provide the letter for no charge
harley ducati bmw charge fees to try to prevent cross border shopping and protect
there canadian dealers.
i think it makes them look like nothing but a money grabing bunch of crooks & dont
let your local dealer off the hook he is the one taking your money or at least 1/2 of it

after i imported my bike my local dealer has only seen it driving buy there shop and it will
never see the inside of there doors nor will i buy parts there. if my bike has to go to a dealer someday i will put it in my trailer & take it south to seattle for repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in