MPG - Ramblings - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old May 5th, 2012, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

MPG - Ramblings

So the 1200 LT is great, I've had mine for about 6 years. It gets very good milage, ranging from 40 to 55+ mpg depending on the ride. So now,, some cars are getting milage that is comparable and they weigh 3 or 4 times as much. So are any bike manufacturers considering milage when the build new bikes, or is it just zero to 60? I don't know what the 2005 LT, zero to 60 time is (5 sec?) but it is fast, I can "out run" my HD friends and they are riding new bikes. What could an LT do with direct injection, turbo, cylinder deactivation, duel clutch transmission and should I say diesel? 80+ MPG? So why is all the technology showing up in cars? So their must not be enough money in bikes for new technology. If I'm going to invest 20 something for a new bike, it needs to be better than the bike I have now.

Stark
2014 1200RT
In the past
2005 LT
2002 Honda 1300 VTX
2000 Honda 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old May 5th, 2012, 9:49 pm

Smile Re: MPG - Ramblings

I don't think there's any shortage of technology on motorcycles. The new offerings are as advanced and arguably more than cars, but the technology has different objectives. And fuel consumption probably doesn't feature as high on motorcycles as on the typical family sedan, just as it is of lesser concern on performance sedans. One of the biggest if not the most important consideration in fuel economy is aerodynamics. A typical motorcycle is a very inefficient aerodynamic design with many protrusions into the airstream, no spoilers or skirts, no roof or side panels, etc. This causes all kinds of turbulence and vortices leading to inefficiency and increased consumption. But that is why we like motorcycles - feeling the wind and not being in an insulated cage!

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #3 of 15 Old May 6th, 2012, 1:21 am

Re: MPG - Ramblings

Larry - I agree with you. By common sense the newer bikes with more technology should have better MPG. But lets try to compare similar items. Cars reach 50 mpg (driving at 50mph) using a backup battery and a 1.5L engine with 3000lb of weight. The K1200 is a 1.2L engine and does not have a backup battery and weighs 800lb.

Also considering the fact that majority of the bikes still are a second mode of transport and the primary being a car, most owners don't mind the mpg.

As bike owners we still are buying larger engine bikes rather than better mpg bikes.

Amit.

1996 Kinetic Pride 75cc - First motorized cycle at age 16.
2002 Yamaha Enticer 125cc - First brand new cycle bought from the first salary at age 20.
1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old May 6th, 2012, 12:10 pm

While I agree that the auto industry is slowly advancing their fuel efficiency, in general they are still pretty far from 50+ mpg, and as stated in previous post, motorcycles are more like high performance cars and giant pickup trucks, people drive them because they like them, not for fuel efficiency. If auto manufacturers wanted to produce a car that gets 50 or 60 mpg, they could do it.....Yes I have a 97 geo metro, my best highway mileage was 53, but for the most part people don't want a car that has almost no amenities, stick shift, runs on 3 tiny cylinders, and will do 70 mph all day on the flats...It's all about demand. As far as technology...If you have a KLT, you already have the best technology available on a motorcycle...Enjoy!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old May 6th, 2012, 2:26 pm

Garage

Hey the guy did say he was rambling.
Besides if he was that concerned about milage he would not have kept the bike for 6 years. He's not telling the whole truth sooooo much fun. Can we say "fpg" is it in the dictionary.
ride safe
post #6 of 15 Old May 6th, 2012, 7:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrystark
So the 1200 LT is great, I've had mine for about 6 years. It gets very good milage, ranging from 40 to 55+ mpg depending on the ride. So now,, some cars are getting milage that is comparable and they weigh 3 or 4 times as much. So are any bike manufacturers considering milage when the build new bikes, or is it just zero to 60? I don't know what the 2005 LT, zero to 60 time is (5 sec?) but it is fast, I can "out run" my HD friends and they are riding new bikes. What could an LT do with direct injection, turbo, cylinder deactivation, duel clutch transmission and should I say diesel? 80+ MPG? So why is all the technology showing up in cars? So their must not be enough money in bikes for new technology. If I'm going to invest 20 something for a new bike, it needs to be better than the bike I have now.
There is certainly additional gain to be had with more efficient engines and drivelines, but the really big difference between cars and bikes is Cd. The best fully faired street bikes have probably twice the drag of the average car. And an unfaired bike probably has 4X the drag, At speeds above 40 MPH or so aero drag is the dominant force to be overcome by the engine. It would be very hard to make a motorcycle as aerodynamically efficient as a car and still retain the characteristics that make motorcycles fun to ride.

http://www.schultzengineering.us/aero.htm

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 15 Old May 7th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
There is certainly additional gain to be had with more efficient engines and drivelines, but the really big difference between cars and bikes is Cd. The best fully faired street bikes have probably twice the drag of the average car. And an unfaired bike probably has 4X the drag, At speeds above 40 MPH or so aero drag is the dominant force to be overcome by the engine. It would be very hard to make a motorcycle as aerodynamically efficient as a car and still retain the characteristics that make motorcycles fun to ride.

http://www.schultzengineering.us/aero.htm
That is very true. Not to mention M/C engines have higher rpm's than cars at crusing speed.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #8 of 15 Old May 7th, 2012, 1:48 pm

All I know about gas mileage is that I generally get much better mileage when my wife is on the bike....

And for some reason, I get really crappy mileage when I ride with Hoss (shoswell)...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 15 Old May 7th, 2012, 1:55 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
All I know about gas mileage is that I generally get much better mileage when my wife is on the bike....

And for some reason, I get really crappy mileage when I ride with Hoss (shoswell)...
Plus a butt load more of fun.

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 15 Old May 7th, 2012, 4:46 pm

This is my first reply to any thread on any website. Sorry in advance if I goof it up. I have a 2008 LT. On the slab I average 52 mpg. In town it's about 45 mpg. Bike runs very good on 89 octane.
post #11 of 15 Old May 7th, 2012, 6:14 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlong
This is my first reply to any thread on any website. Sorry in advance if I goof it up. I have a 2008 LT. On the slab I average 52 mpg. In town it's about 45 mpg. Bike runs very good on 89 octane.
Are we still rambling
What slab do you ride on. I wish I could get 50+. What speed are we talking about. I use premium octane always. HOw did you get those figures computer or manual calculations
ride safe
post #12 of 15 Old May 7th, 2012, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlong
these bikes do not have knock sensors which protect the engine from predetonation that cannot be detected by human senses - as well Shell 91 does not have alcohol in it at least in Canada

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #13 of 15 Old May 7th, 2012, 7:20 pm

In northern MN I ride on I-94 and I-35. I generally set the cruise at 4 to 5 over posted limit. When I check mpg I will see what the BC tells me then check it with pen and paper. They are usually pretty close. Up here most the roads are posted at 55. So I will set the cuise at 58 to 60.Temps up here are cooler, perhaps that figures into it. 88 or 89 octane is all I run in the tank. Mobil 1 in everything.
post #14 of 15 Old May 7th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Garage

OK your speed explains a lot.
That's good but on the advice of many on the forum who are much wiser than me the brew to feed the LT's thirst is premium. And some of the expert wrenchers here who have peered into the combustion chamber have pretty much all agreed. Get away with it now and pay the cost later. Scan the forum you might save a lot later.
ride safe
post #15 of 15 Old May 7th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Plus a butt load more of fun.
Geez, Stevie, that seems a bit personal...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in