I would never buy a BMW! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old May 5th, 2012, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

I would never buy a BMW!

I have to say, I would never buy a BMW if I came to this site first. WOW, all you read is problems, it is very depressing. I may have to ride seven or eight hours to get over todays read.
If I didn't know how great my LT is to ride and how few problems most ever have, I would not buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old May 5th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Re: I would never buy a BMW!

If we let everyone know that they are great bikes then everyone would want one. All the negative posts are there for a purpose. Keep the riff Raff away. :-)

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old May 5th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhittleD
I have to say, I would never buy a BMW if I came to this site first. WOW, all you read is problems, it is very depressing. I may have to ride seven or eight hours to get over todays read.
If I didn't know how great my LT is to ride and how few problems most ever have, I would not buy one.
Many years ago I had a boss that told me a customer that has a bad experience tells fifty people. A customer that has a good experience tells maybe five.

2007 BMW R1200RT
2005 SV 650 "nekid"

post #4 of 24 Old May 5th, 2012, 5:09 pm

I came here before I purchase mine I have had it for two weeks now and loving it. It is a good place to find out what to look for before you buy.
post #5 of 24 Old May 5th, 2012, 5:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhittleD
You think this is bad go to Bimmerforums.com and see how crappy the "Ultimate Driving Machine" is. I love my 330Ci by the way.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 Old May 5th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Well sites like this are for us to help each other solve problems. If you want to see posts about how K1200LT is better look at GL1800 or HD sites to see people saying how much better it is than gold wing or flhtcu.

But if it makes you feel better...

K1200LT

BEST BIKE EVER

How may people out there ride 200+ days per year in north east US?

The only time I do not ride the bike is when it snows.

I've been doing this for 11 years. 200 or more days a year every year for 11 years.

For the last 5 that has been on a K1200LT and it is far better than my previous bikes.

More performance than I can use but it is there when I need it. Great comfort. Outstanding ABS. Heated grips and seat when it gets cold. Adjustable windshield (this is a BIG deal). Great luggage. Radio works well. Lighting on newer models is very good. 50MPG!!!

It even has a horn that doesn't sound wimpy. (first inspection when they tested the horn someone in the shop shouted "hey we don't work on cars in this place")

It is even tall enough that giving up the 36" seat height of my last bike did not feel like too much of a sacrifice.

When it does need work it is pretty easy to get to everything once you deal with getting the plastic off which is of course part of every full faired bike.

Are there some known issues that might come up down the road? Sure but the key point is they are KNOWN and well documented here and if I need to deal with clutch or final drive issues or whatever there is enough information available here to deal with it.

Would I buy one again? Well, yeah actually I did this is my second K1200LT I had a 2003 and had a great offer to trade in on a new 2009 so I did. I will not be looking for a new bike for many years.

How's that?

Bob Pond
2009 K1200LT
potius sero quam nunquam
post #7 of 24 Old May 5th, 2012, 8:35 pm

Greetings all

I have a '99 LT. Short of regular services, she never sees the inside of a workshop and behaves perfectly.

Cheers and kindest regards to all

Paul Harrington
AU

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #8 of 24 Old May 5th, 2012, 9:35 pm

My 2009 has left me on the side of the road twice and spent 22 days in the shop for another reason. Now my final drive is now leaking a little. I'd buy another one in a heart beat. Power, comfort and bells & whistles make this the greatest touring bike on the road. I wish there were more dealerships but that has nothing to do with bike. Machines brake, all of them.
post #9 of 24 Old May 6th, 2012, 6:21 am

A lot of Kool Aid drinkers here!

:-)

99% of this forum is about 4% of the bikes. The rest are out riding and having the time of their life.

A great forum about a few great bikes...... K1200LT and the K1600 .....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 24 Old May 6th, 2012, 6:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
A lot of Kool Aid drinkers here!

:-)

99% of this forum is about 4% of the bikes. The rest are out riding and having the time of their life.

A great forum about a few great bikes...... K1200LT and the K1600 .....
I can relate to WhittleD's summations. The more I read this forum in the beginning, the more I started to wonder if ownership was really worth it, but I went ahead and took the bait when a deal came along, and that was after visiting this site for about 10 months. Now that I have, I wonder if I'll be like so many customers I had as a cager mechanic. They were able to buy a used model of whatever luxury brand they had, but they didn't stop to think the prices of replacement parts and labor is the same for them as those of a new model. I've recently commented on comparing the LT to an exotic- hope it's not like those garage queens like the Maseratis.

So Dan, I'm praying God smiles upon me and makes my experience part of the other 96 percenters.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; May 6th, 2012 at 6:59 am. Reason: additional point
post #11 of 24 Old May 6th, 2012, 9:36 am

IMHO I suspect the reason it seems that way when compared to other bike forums is that other forums are dedicated to one model only, so for example the VTX forum has a tech section for the bike and a separate general area where people talk about their experiences. If I read the tech section on the VTX, I'd also be thinking it's unreliable, but the truth is that bike is known for it's rock solid reliability. not a criticism f this forum layout, it's just different. The poeple on this forum have been super helpful to me so far. I would also point out that generally the more complex any machine, the more maintenance is required. As said above, the Goldwing is a perfect example of this.

I'm happy so far with my ride, even with a fuel pump relay issue that I hope will be solved in the next few days.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #12 of 24 Old May 6th, 2012, 9:50 am

Ya got it all wrong. I came to this site and realized there was NOTHING that would go wrong with it that SOMEONE hadn't documented. I've hung out in fora with 100 times the membership and it didn't have the skill density of this place!

FWIW, I had three options: Harley (which I didn't want, it wasn't 'me'), Goldwing (which I didn't fit), and the LT, which fit me to a 'T'.

I didn't have much choice, and I'm not complainin!

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #13 of 24 Old May 6th, 2012, 11:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
Ya got it all wrong. I came to this site and realized there was NOTHING that would go wrong with it that SOMEONE hadn't documented. I've hung out in fora with 100 times the membership and it didn't have the skill density of this place!

FWIW, I had three options: Harley (which I didn't want, it wasn't 'me'), Goldwing (which I didn't fit), and the LT, which fit me to a 'T'.

I didn't have much choice, and I'm not complainin!
+1
I came here before purchasing too, some scary post but they made me an informed purchaser, and there are just as many post or more on how to properly deal with the issues mentioned here. A lot of sites you get the complaints and no solutions forthcoming.

Now who wants to help me inspect my final drive?

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #14 of 24 Old May 6th, 2012, 7:25 pm

If it wasn't for this place, I won't have my LT :-)

Don't waste a day wishing you rode!

------------------------
2002 K1200 LTC
1984 kawasaki ZN700 LTD
post #15 of 24 Old May 6th, 2012, 7:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenrocky
If it wasn't for this place, I won't have my LT :-)
+1

It made a world of difference with me. Learned a lot about my K1200LT and met some really fine people to boot. Really looking forward to meeting some of my virtual friends this summer in MN.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 24 Old May 6th, 2012, 7:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I would never buy a BMW either. I bought two.

I think the BMW site here is more prone to discussion of problems and fixes than other makes. I believe that is a result of the sparse dealer network which makes us more prone to fix them ourselves when we can. I've never seen any other site with the expertise available here.

Best motorcycle site ever.

post #17 of 24 Old May 6th, 2012, 8:25 pm

The difference between this forum and many others is the technical level of the articles vs the crap and sniping seen on many of those (forums). People here have a genuine passion and are happy to share in any discoveries made or knowledge gained. A real credit to all I believe, and whilst ever it remains that way the forum will only improve. End of serman, I will now dismount.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #18 of 24 Old May 7th, 2012, 1:15 am

++++++ all the way here !!

What you need to know about the LT is all on here, where else are you going to find so much knowledge from riders who actually 'Do' their own fixes under one roof ??

Advice like this only costs $$$'s at your dealer and these guys both love their bikes and ride em !

Being informed about the possible faults of a set of wheels give you a choice 'buy it or dont' but on the other hand you dont hear about the thousands of miles covered by riders with grins from ear to ear

It's LT for me......

my tuppence worth guys
post #19 of 24 Old May 7th, 2012, 4:17 am

Interesting thread. I substantially sympathize with you in this. It can look kind of scary. I was very encouraged though, by the replies given to it. Greg.

'00 BMW K 1200LT, Basalt Grau with Shark tones. My Only bike at present. 34K miles on it. Bought used in Oct. 2011.
BMW MOA# 180321
post #20 of 24 Old May 7th, 2012, 6:09 am

I was eyeing a beautiful 2000 Canyon Red K1200LT. She was stunning. I was in complete awe for the first few moments. Being a mechanic by trade, logically I started to look at the maintenance aspect of this dream vehicle. I was a bit intimidated by the website to say the least. What the hell is a "Weep hole"? They sure talk a lot about this thing called "Farkles". Do I get that from long rides? Is there a cream or something I can use for relief? I did find out farkles are contagious! I found like twenty brown wires, and which on am I supposed to just cut? My wife knows EVERYTHING about tupperware, so maybe she can help figure out how to get all this stuff off. How could anyone do a mod that's callet "Ghetto"? These fellas sure do get upset when someone asks "What oil is best?" or, "Which tires can I run". It might be best if I just watch for a bit and learn....HEY! CHECK THIS OUT! A SEARCH FUNCTION!
I agree with many members here, I could not afford to own such an outstanding piece of fine machinery if I had to shell out the cash to a dealership for every little thing. This site makes living the dream possible, and enjoyable. Now, I have owned three K1200LTs, one sold during a divorce (I missed my bike more), and one sold when headed overseas for an extended time (trip cancelled four days later). Now, I will never sell Roxy.
Thanks to all of the unbelievable knowledge on this website, and all of the input. Most likely, somewhere, someone has experienced what is happening to you right now. If not, the brains on here will dive into a problem, and stick with you until it is fixed. Even some of the smallest problems are addressed. Awesome.
Finally, if the point of this topic is to deter, than let me say that my K1200LT is a "Garage Queen". She spends every night inside my garage, and maybe sixty days a year. You will find yourself washing and waxing her constantly. You will get good at pulling tupperware off, and BMW Boneyard may get to know you by name. Like I said, I have owned three, and I will never buy another. (Unless Roxy is stolen)

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #21 of 24 Old May 7th, 2012, 10:16 am

When i went to look at my LT prior to purchase it had the broken QD fuel leak. After only five minutes on this board i understood where the leak was and how to repair it. Got a SMOKIN deal on my LT thanks to this fuel leak and it took me less time to repair the problem than it did to remove the tupperware for the first time. Yes there are people posting issues on here and that made me a little nervous, but i soon realized that alot of the problems on here are people working on their own bike and making mistakes which in turn cause issues. Not a big deal really. I LOVE my LT and so does the wife which means i get to ride as much as we have time for. I managed to get in 14000 miles on my first year with this bike.
post #22 of 24 Old May 7th, 2012, 9:09 pm

I too bought my bike in part due to the knowledgeable people on this site and their willingness to help diagnose issues. ( I bought my Audi A8, with the exact same resources available at the Quattroworld A8 forums.) Sites like this make the internet awesome! Now it's time for a beer!
post #23 of 24 Old May 8th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Haven't been on the site in like 9 months. Know why? I haven't needed any help or advice! My '01 just turned over 98,000 miles (I know - practically nothing) and guess what...my final drive still works! Of course, I'm probably jynxing myself. :P

Rob Allen

2001 BMW K1200LTC "BatGirl"
2005 Suzuki DR200 Dual Sport - currently blowed up

Be strong enough to stand firm when you're right,
Be humble enough to admit when you're wrong,
And be wise enough to know the difference.
post #24 of 24 Old May 10th, 2012, 12:03 am

I too am impressed with the knowledge, freely given, in all aspects of riding,maintaining the LT. I also was a little intimidated by all the things than are known to go wrong.......but like was stated, the actual percentage isn't all that high.

The Concours owners group is the only other bike forum I have seen that has the knowledge and helping attitude of the LT forum. It may also have to do with the avg age of the groups??

Kudos to the regulars who have BTDT.

1999 K1200LT 33K miles
1999 Concours 107K Km

Doesn't matter what you ride, but ride it, don't spend all your time polishing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in