Rear Rotor Replacement Difficulties - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old May 5th, 2012, 2:56 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Rear Rotor Replacement Difficulties

Replaced the rear pads with thanks to Pete Van Dyke's well illustrated post but also planned to replace the rotor (heavily scored) with a new EBC. It's a '00, K1200LT

Had to use an easy-out on one of the screws but finally removed it w/o damage to the tapped hole.

Now my issue is removing the ABS ring. Prior posts called for penetrating fluid and then perhaps a stint in the freezer to break it loose but can't believe that the three screws with just a piece of the head flange held the ring on the rotor.

Anyway, check the photos and verify that I just need to break the bond at the arrows. Afraid to tap it with a hammer for fear of damaging the ring.

What next?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABS Ring.png
Views:	93
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	35147   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0191.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	35148   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0194.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	35149   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0198.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	35150   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0201.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	35151  

Name:	DSCN0200.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	35152   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0199.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	35153  

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old May 5th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Re: Rear Rotor Replacement Difficulties

I froze mine, applied a bit of heat to the ring with a blow torch and pried it off with a couple of flat screwdrivers, no real pressure, it will come off,

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #3 of 18 Old May 5th, 2012, 3:13 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I heat the ABS ring with my propane torch & use a puller to remove it.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #4 of 18 Old May 5th, 2012, 3:21 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

OK it's in the freezer now and just returned from the NAPA store with Blue Loctite and some penetrating spay.

If the freezer doesn't do it. I'll light it up. Don't have a gear puller that large.

Thanks guys.

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #5 of 18 Old May 5th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I pried mine off with a brake spoon. Just a little at a time as I worked my way around it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 18 Old May 5th, 2012, 3:44 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Replaced the rear pads with thanks to Pete Van Dyke's well illustrated post but also planned to replace the rotor (heavily scored) with a new EBC. It's a '00, K1200LT

Had to use an easy-out on one of the screws but finally removed it w/o damage to the tapped hole.

Now my issue is removing the ABS ring. Prior posts called for penetrating fluid and then perhaps a stint in the freezer to break it loose but can't believe that the three screws with just a piece of the head flange held the ring on the rotor.

Anyway, check the photos and verify that I just need to break the bond at the arrows. Afraid to tap it with a hammer for fear of damaging the ring.

What next?
I lit it up with a propane torch after allowing the penetrant to penetrate. (is that proper English?)

Used a couple of large Craftsman screwdrivers and pried it off working it around and around on a flipped over 5 gal plastic pail. That ring was tighter than my first girl friend!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ABS Ring Off.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	35154  

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2016 Spain & Portugal

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #7 of 18 Old May 8th, 2012, 12:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
I lit it up with a propane torch after allowing the penetrant to penetrate. (is that proper English?)

Used a couple of large Craftsman screwdrivers and pried it off working it around and around on a flipped over 5 gal plastic pail. That ring was tighter than my first girl friend!!!
I needed to apply heat to the three screws holding the ring on there, and they popped right out. Was lucky to have a large enough 3 legged puller, and I had two large flat bladed drivers in my hands, and buddy one in his and we just pulled the ring off very slow. We too sprayed a liberal amount of pentrating oil on it, and stopped part way through to apply more. Took 2 hours start to finish for the whole job. I recon we could do another in 30 minutes just so long as nothing sticks.

Buddy with a 2004 has the worst rattle I've heard, so may be doing his in a few weeks time.

Mike

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #8 of 18 Old May 8th, 2012, 5:44 pm

3 jaw puller slides it right off. To assemble put the rotor in the freezer (shrinks) and warm up the ring (expands). They will literally flop together with clearance but as the heat equalizes they will work out to a negative clearance being immovable.

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #9 of 18 Old May 8th, 2012, 6:29 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I drill about 8 or 10 1/8 inch holes in the rotor just inside the ABS ring to release the pressure. Then just used a large screw driver to pry the ABS ring off. I've done 4 or 5 this way & they all come off easy.

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; May 8th, 2012 at 8:22 pm.
post #10 of 18 Old May 8th, 2012, 7:43 pm

I will have to try that this weekend, Stevie, unless you are going to be up this way!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 18 Old May 9th, 2012, 9:57 am

I used propane heat to soften the loctite on the screws before I even attempted to take them out. They do have locking compound on the threads.

After removal of the screws, I was able to use two bent end prybars on each side of the ring. I would work them around at 90 degree intervals, prying the ring up. The ring popped off fairly easily after about three turns. It is not pressed on, but rather a very close slip-fit. This is why you need to work around the ring to take it off. If it gets cocked, you need to straighten it out before you continue to pry it off.

Make sure you have a plastic or hard rubber hammer to tap it onto the new disc. Soft taps around perimeter of the ring worked for me and not a dent was made on the ABS ribs. Also make sure the ring is completely bottomed on the hub. Then take the 3 screws and apply blue locktite and screw them into the hub.

My new EBC rotor works like a charm! NO noise, great stopping power, and easy to install. Best of all...EBC Rotor and pads cost me about $200 vs. $475 for a 'new' OEM rotor.

2005 BMW K1200LT Blue
BMWMOA #124788

Predecessor:
1999 K1200LT (entered the BMW "organ donation program" on 6/2/11) 38,256 Miles
post #12 of 18 Old May 9th, 2012, 12:32 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSMITH1
I used propane heat to soften the loctite on the screws before I even attempted to take them out. They do have locking compound on the threads.

After removal of the screws, I was able to use two bent end prybars on each side of the ring. I would work them around at 90 degree intervals, prying the ring up. The ring popped off fairly easily after about three turns. It is not pressed on, but rather a very close slip-fit. This is why you need to work around the ring to take it off. If it gets cocked, you need to straighten it out before you continue to pry it off.

Make sure you have a plastic or hard rubber hammer to tap it onto the new disc. Soft taps around perimeter of the ring worked for me and not a dent was made on the ABS ribs. Also make sure the ring is completely bottomed on the hub. Then take the 3 screws and apply blue locktite and screw them into the hub.

My new EBC rotor works like a charm! NO noise, great stopping power, and easy to install. Best of all...EBC Rotor and pads cost me about $200 vs. $475 for a 'new' OEM rotor.

+1
Never had the cowbell or squeeks. Thought I would hear grinding if I was eating up the pads but nooo!
Ended up replacing the rotor and all pads.
Brakes were replaced @26K at CCR Osage Beach MO (2007 "wrench day") (BMW OEM)

Originals had 26K and still had the 50% thickness. Wonder if BMW changed their supplier?
Super stops now!

Visual inspection is the way to go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0216.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	35183   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0217.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	35184   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0218.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	35185   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0225.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	35186   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0201.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	35187  

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2016 Spain & Portugal

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; May 9th, 2012 at 12:39 pm.
post #13 of 18 Old May 9th, 2012, 4:32 pm

Might just be me, but the uneven wear on the pads indicates a possible caliper problem with unequal pressure on either side of the rotor. Be sure to recheck the pad wear regularly to stay ahead of this.

Happy Riding,

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #14 of 18 Old May 9th, 2012, 5:23 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
Might just be me, but the uneven wear on the pads indicates a possible caliper problem with unequal pressure on either side of the rotor. Be sure to recheck the pad wear regularly to stay ahead of this.

Happy Riding,
Yup, thought that was unusual wear in less than a year when I replaced the rear tire.

Will inspect often for wear.

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2016 Spain & Portugal

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #15 of 18 Old May 9th, 2012, 6:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Happy Riding,
Dan, Paul,
Last night I just happened to watch the weep hole video and during that video John mentions that uneven wear on the pads you also noticed. He even makes a point of making sure that you put the pads back to the correct location, inside pads seem to wear out sooner.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #16 of 18 Old May 9th, 2012, 9:30 pm

Quick and easy encoder ring removal
1. heat allen head screws to kill locktite
2. use hacksaw with blade installed upside down through center hole of old brake disc to
cut 2 release slots 180 degs apart
3. smack with soft item to sperate

Bob G
post #17 of 18 Old May 10th, 2012, 6:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Dan, Paul,
Last night I just happened to watch the weep hole video and during that video John mentions that uneven wear on the pads you also noticed. He even makes a point of making sure that you put the pads back to the correct location, inside pads seem to wear out sooner.
My error it was the brake bleeding video.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #18 of 18 Old May 10th, 2012, 11:43 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:

Happy Riding,
Not necessarily. In my experience on cars and bikes it seems like the inner pads always wear faster. In the LT's case the rotor floats and in most autos the caliper floats. Not sure why it is almost always the inner pads that wear out first.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in