See answers below each question
Originally Posted by bigbear
Hi all, my turn to ask some questions on the 02 LTC.
Bike I bought has 16.5K on the clock.
My questions are:
1) Is there a need to "lube" the clutch splines on these bikes? I know that older beemers required this. I.e. my 85 K
No splines to lube on this bike.
2) Would it be wise to pull the slave cylinder and drill the weep hole or just ride it until around 40 K and then replace the slave cylinder at that time?
My advice would be just ride it, my Lt has 60k and no slave cylinder problems. But if you feel comfortable doing that then by all means do so. I'm the kind of person who rides it till it needs fixing.
3) Is there any indicator lights to show if the heated seats are on? I have looked through the owners manual and did not find any reference to them.
No indicator lights for the heated seats. There is a company who makes a kit you can install for the heat indicator for both seats. I can't remember the link.
4) Final drive bearings: Since I have both the 85 K and the 02 LT should these final drives sound similar when turning them by hand and listening with an automotive stethoscope?
Don't know the answer to that and I'm not sure it would tell you anything anyway. Some rear drives last a long time and others do not. The majority of the drives last a pretty good time. Just keep and eye on it and switch to synthetic gear oil and change it frequently since it is so easy to do so. I change my rear drive fluid every 3 to 4 k just for the hell of it.
5) Any tech sessions planned in the northern Illinois area?
Big tech session planned at CCR06 in Brasselton, Ga. Love to have you there in August. Ride safe!
Watch the forums for tech session posts, one will turn up soon.
looking around for a possible replacement
2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!
CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!