Rear rotor rattle -99LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old May 4th, 2012, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Rear rotor rattle -99LT

I've had a '99 LT for about 16 months, now to 74000 miles or so. Within the past couple of weeks, I've noticed a metallic rattle at low speeds (probably doing it at high speeds but can't hear it). I've located the rattle as being the rear brake rotor.

I'm not much of a wrencher so I don't know the terms, but connected to the rotor is gear like piece. It is screwed tightly to the piece holding the rotor itself, so the rattle isn't coming from there. It appears all the rivets(?) connecting the rotor to the gear like piece are where the problem lies. The rotor itself is moving within all the rivets but there is no way to tighten what is rattling. Is the caliper supposed to keep this rattle from happening and the caliper is the issue? I just don't know enough to get beyond where I'm stuck.

Side note, a few months ago, I bought a rear tire online, took my rear wheel off and took it to a local motorcycle shop to be mounted. No problems getting it off or back on, but that shouldn't have anything to do with this right?

Thanks for your help!

Edit: thought it might be a lone issue...HOW is amazing. Found my answer there, though not a good one. Anyone know if those rotors have come down in price?

Edit#2...ouch! $491 for the rotor/disc assembly...guess I'll just live with the rattle!

Associate Pastor, Pickens, SC
Director of F.A.I.T.H. Riders Ministry at my church

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure - White (easily my favorite bike to date!)
'07 Honda Gold Wing - Metallic Silver
'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'06 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Midnight Custom
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'04 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Classic
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX

Last edited by 1worshipguy; May 4th, 2012 at 1:15 pm. Reason: Found solution in HOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old May 4th, 2012, 1:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Rear rotor rattle -99LT

Those are floating rotors and you have two options. 1. Clean it really good and squirt some silcone seal around the rivets (not too much) and let it set up. Will quiet the rattle while still allowing some float. 2. Get the aftermarket EBC rear rotor, no rattle and no squeal. Best of all it is only about $150. I think Beemerboneyard.com has them and you can get 10% off with the code BMWMOA.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in