Corbin Seat Too Low? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old May 3rd, 2012, 7:48 am Thread Starter

Corbin Seat Too Low?

Hi All.

Recently installed a Corbin seat, and while it is much more comfortable on my bum than the BMW "Comfort" seat, it seems that I am sitting lower than before and it is a bit rough on my knees as a result. I do not see any obvious way to adjust it, nor is there a pal e to mount the stock adjuster bar.

Any suggestions on how to raise it an inch or so?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:54 am

Re: Corbin Seat Too Low?

Sorry I don't have info on how to raise this seat, but i'm curious as to which corbin seat you have? I am inseam challenged and a lower seat would be a great help since I haven't seen may bike lowering options.

Thanks,
post #3 of 16 Old May 4th, 2012, 8:11 am

I cut a piece of 1x4 to fit in the space above the shock adjuster and since my seat won't stay up on it's own anymore it also serves as a prop for the seat when necessary. Hey it works and the seat still latches in the down position.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #4 of 16 Old May 5th, 2012, 7:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffklt
I cut a piece of 1x4 to fit in the space above the shock adjuster and since my seat won't stay up on it's own anymore it also serves as a prop for the seat when necessary. Hey it works and the seat still latches in the down position.
Does the seat wiggle around with the board in place?
FD
post #5 of 16 Old May 5th, 2012, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog
Does the seat wiggle around with the board in place?
FD
No, of course it evenly supports both sides and the rear latch still works so three point stability.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #6 of 16 Old May 5th, 2012, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Hmmmm... going to have to try that this weekend.

Anyone have a regular Corbin seat but wish they had the low one?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 16 Old May 19th, 2012, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyT4Bass
Sorry I don't have info on how to raise this seat, but i'm curious as to which corbin seat you have? I am inseam challenged and a lower seat would be a great help since I haven't seen may bike lowering options.

Thanks,
I am very interested in your question. It seems like no one has answered it. Let me know what you found out. Thanks; Greg.

'00 BMW K 1200LT, Basalt Grau with Shark tones. My Only bike at present. 34K miles on it. Bought used in Oct. 2011.
BMW MOA# 180321
post #8 of 16 Old May 19th, 2012, 9:56 am
KJN

I had the same issue with my Corbin seat. I went to the local Hockey shop and bought a couple of pucks. Drilled them to accept a nut and bolt. Bolted to the frame on the left and right side. The seat sits on the pucks. The pucks are hard rubber and they give a little so it's not a "hard" mount.

Works great. Easy to install. If you want to try it, PM me...

Kimble
Phoenix
post #9 of 16 Old May 19th, 2012, 10:10 am

Quote:

Thanks,
Timmy: I am very interested in finding a way to get my feet flatter onto the ground at stops ( I only have a 30'') inseam. But I do not want to lower my bikes ground clearance at all to get it. I have recently installed Ohlins shocks which gave me great ground clearance while cornering. If I could get my butt a few (or any) inches closer to the ground with seat mods, I'd do it. But some of these guys talk of the lowered corbin seat as if it is too wide, resulting in no net gain for the feet on the ground at stops. Somebody out there must have a clue. Help.

'00 BMW K 1200LT, Basalt Grau with Shark tones. My Only bike at present. 34K miles on it. Bought used in Oct. 2011.
BMW MOA# 180321
post #10 of 16 Old May 19th, 2012, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCCC1
Timmy: I am very interested in finding a way to get my feet flatter onto the ground at stops ( I only have a 30'') inseam. But I do not want to lower my bikes ground clearance at all to get it. I have recently installed Ohlins shocks which gave me great ground clearance while cornering. If I could get my butt a few (or any) inches closer to the ground with seat mods, I'd do it. But some of these guys talk of the lowered corbin seat as if it is too wide, resulting in no net gain for the feet on the ground at stops. Somebody out there must have a clue. Help.
You may want to consider having a cobbler add some height to your favorite riding boots - and at the same time switch over to a "gummy" wider platform for increased grip. I recommend Vibram Mayatur as a great all around compound:

Most motorcycle specific riding boots have very narrow platforms, which of course make for easier "feel" of the brake and shift levers. A quality hiking or work boot offers virtually the same protection, especially if they are an extended boot like these loggers - which *might* be an acceptable boot for you since the heel is already raised dramatically, unfortunately the toe is probably way too thick, but you might be able to find one that will work:

Of course, the downside is that you'll need to revamp your riding wardrobe as well to match:

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 16 Old May 19th, 2012, 10:54 am

Quote:

Thanks,
The Corbin seat that I have is wider in the front, and is harder for the vertically challenged to reach the ground. Mine also has the adjustment bar on the back similar to the stock seat. I love the back rest on it, but the seat itself is hard as a brick after awhile. I rode for a season with it, but put the stock one back on, since its easier for me to touch the ground. Miss that backrest though. Not only for the support, but it keeps the ole lady off of me.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #12 of 16 Old May 19th, 2012, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJN
I had the same issue with my Corbin seat. I went to the local Hockey shop and bought a couple of pucks. Drilled them to accept a nut and bolt. Bolted to the frame on the left and right side. The seat sits on the pucks. The pucks are hard rubber and they give a little so it's not a "hard" mount.

Works great. Easy to install. If you want to try it, PM me...

Kimble
Phoenix

Cool idea. May try that one, although will probably find a different way to mount to frame as am not crazy about drilling into it.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #13 of 16 Old May 19th, 2012, 1:29 pm
KJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Cool idea. May try that one, although will probably find a different way to mount to frame as am not crazy about drilling into it.

You don't drill the frame....there are already holes to use. You drill the pucks.

Kimble
post #14 of 16 Old May 19th, 2012, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks for that. WIll pick up a couple pucks this weekend.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #15 of 16 Old May 20th, 2012, 6:32 am

I bought a used Corbin last week.Not a big fan .I found it to be wider in front .Loved the back rest though.I'll likely be posting it for sale soon.It's got heated front and rear with the backrest

Jeff Bokusky

Shoreview ,Mn.

2001 K1200LT ---
1973 Harley FLH 96 c.i.
1948 Harley EL 88 c.i.
1985 kawasaki KX250
1993 honda XR 200--
1978 Triumph Bonneville
post #16 of 16 Old May 20th, 2012, 10:28 am Thread Starter

Jeff,

I have the rider seat with rider backrest. Would be interested in pax seat and pax backrest if you would be willing to split it up and sell rider seat sep. PM if interested.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in