2002 K1200LT Body Parts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

2002 K1200LT Body Parts

Well, it happened. For the first time in, oh, 30 year of riding, I set my '02 down on it's side at a stoplight. I was stopping on an uphill, it was night, and I had a passenger to who I was turning my head to make a comment. End result, passenger hopped off as I tried to keep her from going down. No injuries, but my pride took a serious bruising.

The long and the short of it ... when the bike laid on the bar, it cracked the chrome piece that the protective cover mounts on. I've looked high and low on the internet and can't seem to find anyone who can point me in the right direction to get a new one. The old one (right side) is too cracked up to reuse.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find plastic parts for a 10-year old LT?

Regards ...
--Jam

Jim Minie
Valley Park, MO
'02 K1200LT - Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:51 pm

Re: 2002 K1200LT Body Parts

I'm surprised e-bay don't have one or two.
Hey it happens to the best of us!
I did it in the driveway..least nobody saw me!
post #3 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2012, 1:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminie

The long and the short of it ... when the bike laid on the bar, it cracked the chrome piece that the protective cover mounts on. I've looked high and low on the internet and can't seem to find anyone who can point me in the right direction to get a new one. The old one (right side) is too cracked up to reuse.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find plastic parts for a 10-year old LT?

Regards ...
--Jam
http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_...indCat=46_0427
Try these part numbers at any BMW parts counter or order online. They are available. Good luck and don't kick yourself any longer.
Best,

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #4 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2012, 5:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_...indCat=46_0427
Try these part numbers at any BMW parts counter or order online. They are available. Good luck and don't kick yourself any longer.
Best,
And report back on their availability. My left one is cracked, but so far, is still useable. If they're hard to get, it may incentivise me to fix it sooner rather than later.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #5 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2012, 6:58 am

Hi, Jim - pride gets restored pretty easy, once you find out you're in the "it happens" club! Glad you nor your pillion weren't hurt.

I don't know where Valley Park is, but a long distance call down into Bentonville, Arkansas might result in a nice little ride to pick up the parts!! Give Bentonville BMW a call; ask for Denise, the parts lady, and sometimes (not all the time tho), she'll be able to provide a little parts discount for LT site members. Those chrome thangies are on the expensive side (several years ago, they were in the neighborhood of 140 bones), so any discount helps. Good luck. Best always.
post #6 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2012, 7:56 am

I was just following 2 sets of chrome tip-over covers on ebay within the past few weeks so they do pop up from time to time:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320892329053...84.m1423.l2649

&

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390411154975...84.m1532.l2649 (he had the right too, but I need left so this is the only one that I tracked and therefore showed up in my Ebay history)

Obviously both of these are gone and I was too cheap to win either, and of course by encouraging someone else to bid I am now furthering my opportunity for failure, but who am I really kidding, I'll never actually pay the price

I am currently scheming of ways to be able to 're-chrome' my existing cover after repairing it, if I stumble across anything that works, of course you all will be the first to know.
post #7 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2012, 8:21 am

+1, I'm a member too, down in the driveway. Be patient because they seem to be on ebay, just a matter of timing.

Good luck,
post #8 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2012, 8:39 am Thread Starter

Thanks! I really appreciate the help. Guess my first problem was I had no clue what the darn thing was called.

Thanks for the website with the exploded parts breakdown, Ernie. Already added it to my bookmarks. Calling my local dealer today when I get a few minutes away from breaking rocks. I"ll let you know what I find on availability. I'll also not tell the wife where I got the link. Looking at all the goodies there, I suspect my bill is going to be MUCH larger than I originally thought.

--jam

Jim Minie
Valley Park, MO
'02 K1200LT - Black

Last edited by jminie; May 3rd, 2012 at 9:26 am.
post #9 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2012, 8:42 am Thread Starter

Gateway BMW here in St. Louis has one in stock. Same cost as on the website. Good news is that I can pick it up and have it on today. Better news is that I won't go buying tons of other accouterments for the bike. Today at least.

Thanks again for the help!

Jim Minie
Valley Park, MO
'02 K1200LT - Black

Last edited by jminie; May 3rd, 2012 at 9:28 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in