Russell Day-Long driver's seat - opinions please - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old May 2nd, 2012, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

Russell Day-Long driver's seat - opinions please

I'm thinking of upgrading the driver's seat only on my '05. I find the soft touch type BMW seat to be too soft and the wrong shape (or something). After about 1 hour in the seat I get restless and start squirming around looking for some comfort/relief. I've contacted Russell Day-Long to make an initial inquiry but I would appreciate comments from any users of the product. I do have 1 question - it appears that the seat height may be higher than stock (from pics on their website). Is this correct ? as it would suit me more if it were the case (34" inseam and legs cramp a bit).

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:17 pm

Re: Russell Day-Long driver's seat - opinions please

I think the seat may be a bit higher than stock. For what it's worth, I am 6' 3" have a Russell seat I keep in the "high" position, and lowered pegs. It's very comfortable on long days - I've done up to 13-14+ hrs door to door, with a few stops - 750+ miles, still reasonably fresh at the end of the day, but there are a lot of factors that may be contributing to that.

In net, Russells are nice seats, my only complaint is that the leather has "worn away" at the edges.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:16 pm

The number one best thing I have done for the bike and myself. I have an "09" and have no problem riding for 7 to 8 hundred miles in a day now. Before I was standing up every 200 miles or so just to relieve the pressure. Now I don't even stand up to fill the bike with gas.

I have done two coast to coast rides, one on a gs 1200 with a stock seat, the other on the 1200lt with the Russell. On the gs, I could not feel anything below my waist for a few days after getting home. With the Russell it's like sitting in your office chair for a day.

If you are in the Phoenix AZ area you can take mine for a ride and see for yourself.

Stop reading and start ordering!!!

Why am I here and what day is it??

post #4 of 29 Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:39 am

You can sit on the stock seat for an entire hour??!! I certainly can't. My 99LT came with a big bucket Corbin on it. Soft like marble but large and comfy. It also came with the stocker. Just for kicks one afternoon I swapped the stocker for the Corbin and about 35 minutes later I knew that the stocker felt like I was sitting on a loaf of bread that was trying to penetrate me. Bah. The Corbin I won't change as I can ride it all day non-stop. Russells are better still. I'm thinking you'll be fine.
post #5 of 29 Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:42 am
cws

Garage

3 best things you can do Dennis...
1. Change the seat (I went Rick Mayer)
2. Change the lo-beam to HID... I actually did both but don't need to.
3. Add some moto-lights

and then a 4th we've talked about.... shock upgrades.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 29 Old May 3rd, 2012, 4:15 am

+ 1 on a Russell Seat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120313-00023.jpg
Views:	2398
Size:	460.1 KB
ID:	35123  

When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.
Colonel. Theodore Roosevelt

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who would do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. Albert Einstein
post #7 of 29 Old May 3rd, 2012, 7:08 am

You'll find purchasing a Russell or for that matter any of the other saddle one of the best investments you can buy for the bike. The second is shocks

I bought a 09 LT and I could last at most 30 min on the stock seat before cramping and hip pain would force me off the bike.

I went with a Russell my inseam is also 34, the seat sits higher so that provided relief to the leg's its now possible to run all day long and have done so several times now with out the suffering from before.

There are a few things I would have them do different on the seat and will do when I have it replaced you can find pictures in my sig..

While the seat supports your rear it needs to be narrower for when we are stopped and have our legs down, its a bit to wide so it takes some getting used to and it creates a pressure point that can be a little uncomfortable.

Also in the bucket at the junction of the back support you'll notice there's a bit of an angle meeting the seat, the problem is that its much and it kicks you forward of the back support I want to sit in that bucket and up against the back support not be kicked away from it.

Two minor items but overall you'll be extremely pleased with a new saddle over the OEM garbage.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #8 of 29 Old May 3rd, 2012, 8:56 am

Love my Russell seat. I did an IBA SS1000 in March; 17 hours on the bike. A K1200LT with a Russell seat made it look (and feel) easy; great seat. The only down side for me was being without a seat for 4+ weeks while it was being built...

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)
post #9 of 29 Old May 3rd, 2012, 9:21 am

+1 on the Day Long Saddle. I bought the leather seat and should have stayed with the vinyl. All in all 1000 mile days are not a problem.

Sleepwalker
2008 K1200LT New Ride

1999 K1200LT (sold)
1992 K75 (sold)
1991 K1 (sold)

Last edited by sleepwalker; May 3rd, 2012 at 9:22 am. Reason: 1000 not 100
post #10 of 29 Old May 3rd, 2012, 9:30 am

I was looking into a Russell for my R1200C when I was trying to make it roadable, but never pulled the trigger because I bought the LT to fill the role.

Anyway, from my discussions with the Russell folks (don't remember who I was talking to) they wanted my measurements etc because they were going to make the seat custom to my inseam, weight etc. They told me that my stock R1200c seat would be lower than the one they would make me based on my measurements so I think it depends on your size how they make it.

Based on my conversations with them when I am ready to pull the trigger on a new seat they are going to be my first and last call.

Only downside I can see is that they are kind of ugly just setting there, but that is more incentive to keep your butt covering it
post #11 of 29 Old May 3rd, 2012, 9:42 am

I am considering a Russell for my RT and would appreciate a little more information on a couple of things posted on this thread. How much higher is the seat from stock? My inseam is almost 30". I was thinking leather but it appears some would not recommend this?
post #12 of 29 Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWheels
I am considering a Russell for my RT and would appreciate a little more information on a couple of things posted on this thread. How much higher is the seat from stock? My inseam is almost 30". I was thinking leather but it appears some would not recommend this?

Russell says they can make a low profile seat as long as you don't require the extra suspension. I've put around 20K on my leather seat so far and haven't seen any degradation, they use a fairly thick leather for the seat's

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #13 of 29 Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:26 am

Get the Russell. You will love it.

I just followed their instructions, took the proper pictures, let them design it for me.

They are real experts. Let them make the decisions.

It will fit you perfect. They chose leather for the seating part and vinyl for the vertical part.

Did I say that I love it?

This is one of the few things I've ever purchased that far exceeded my expectations. And I'm a very "hard to impress" guy.
post #14 of 29 Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:15 am

The feedback I got from a long-time Russell rider was to get the leather insert. He says that the sides are what tends to crack, so stay with vinyl for that part. The insert gives you the comfort advantage of the leather without sacrificing the durability of the vinyl.

Just one opinion of course, but this guy has had several and if you saw his bikes you'd know that he cares for them meticulously. So I'm sure he did all the right things for the proper care of the leather.
post #15 of 29 Old May 3rd, 2012, 3:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The only down side for me was being without a seat for 4+ weeks while it was being built
I picked up a extra seat on E-bay, so when I send my seat from my K1200LT to russell to have a daylong built. I I would have something to ride on wile my seat is out being worked on.

I had a Russell on a '80 R100T , & currently have a Russell sport on my R1200GSA. The sport looks like a daylong seat, but I think the springs the wings are not there. The sport is just a little higher that the stock seat was. The Daylong is a bit higher...But anyway...The Russell on my GSA is the best seat I have ever had.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #16 of 29 Old May 3rd, 2012, 7:12 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the information on the Russel product. I will be pursuing this option as the stock seat is just way too uncomfortable. I just can't get my head around how/why BMW could fall so short in this area, with the required solution being so different to the stock design ??? Makes no logic to me, but then,..............

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
post #17 of 29 Old May 4th, 2012, 7:18 am

Garage

just remember Dennis you got 200 bucks on the top for freight and just so you know I don't particularly like my Russell day phsssst!! I still have to get off every 2 hrs with a numb bum

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #18 of 29 Old May 4th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Can't get my head around the total cost with pillion: $1,350.00 to $1,650.00, and in all vinyl. Wow! For now at least, I'll just suffer.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #19 of 29 Old May 4th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
just remember Dennis you got 200 bucks on the top for freight and just so you know I don't particularly like my Russell day phsssst!! I still have to get off every 2 hrs with a numb bum
Well Linton, maybe you should get ride of that horrid Russell Seat and gift it to Dennis.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #20 of 29 Old May 4th, 2012, 5:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife
Can't get my head around the total cost with pillion: $1,350.00 to $1,650.00, and in all vinyl. Wow! For now at least, I'll just suffer.
Wow is right...that's a lot higher than their website shows.

I'm figuring about $825 for my GTL with leather inserts and a recovered passenger backrest (not including shipping).

Can you explain how you came up with your numbers?
post #21 of 29 Old May 4th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Dennis
+ 3 on the Russell, 160k miles total on one, two air heads, now the k1200lt
I don't ask the price, after 8-12 hrs touring a day not even a question.
Might want to check the price, I purchase the front only, wife likes the soft stock seat. I don't remember the price (06) but your numbers seem alittle high.

Dennis
post #22 of 29 Old May 5th, 2012, 5:04 am Thread Starter

I'm only looking to do the front seat, my wife also likes the stock rear seat with sheepskin cover (she actually goes to sleep at times). I found the sheepskin to work against the theory of the soft touch gel whatever it is front seat, making it worse than standard for me. Linton, perhaps we should do a trial swap ? Then go from there, if both not happy then we both learn a little more than we knew previously. I think a Russell front seat in all vinyl and retaining the OEM heating is their S-1 and runs at about $385 US. Surely it wouldn't be +$200 shipping, I bought a pair of disc rotors for my K100 from the states for about $75, and they're not light. I've been quoted around $90 postage for a Wilbers from CA also, in the last week.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
post #23 of 29 Old May 5th, 2012, 6:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
I'm only looking to do the front seat, my wife also likes the stock rear seat with sheepskin cover (she actually goes to sleep at times). I found the sheepskin to work against the theory of the soft touch gel whatever it is front seat, making it worse than standard for me. Linton, perhaps we should do a trial swap ? Then go from there, if both not happy then we both learn a little more than we knew previously. I think a Russell front seat in all vinyl and retaining the OEM heating is their S-1 and runs at about $385 US. Surely it wouldn't be +$200 shipping, I bought a pair of disc rotors for my K100 from the states for about $75, and they're not light. I've been quoted around $90 postage for a Wilbers from CA also, in the last week.
From what I can see the LT price code is S4 which is 585.00 plus a large box for shipping. Looks like it will be 100.00 shipping each way. Comfort, could be priceless.

Correction 525.00 for solo S4

Last edited by New2rt; May 5th, 2012 at 7:36 am.
post #24 of 29 Old May 5th, 2012, 7:00 am

I'm kind of a cheap skate...so I tried to find something I could do for seat comfort that didn't break the bank. I found a gel seat pad at Wally World for less than $20. For the type of riding I do (not an iron butt-er) it provides more comfort than stock and can be used on my other bikes too.
FD
post #25 of 29 Old May 5th, 2012, 7:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE
Wow is right...that's a lot higher than their website shows.

I'm figuring about $825 for my GTL with leather inserts and a recovered passenger backrest (not including shipping).

Can you explain how you came up with your numbers?
I checked the written quote I received. It was for a KonTour seat (front, rear, and back rest), not a Russell Day-Long. Sorry for the misinformation. I'm going to the Russell site right now.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #26 of 29 Old May 5th, 2012, 8:27 am

Quote:
Got mine done in March 2011, and while not cheap, I "only" spent $492 (not including the $35 for me to ship seat to them); driver seat only in vinyl with heavy (excuse me?) suspension. What percentage of time do you ride with pillion and how uncomfortable is that pillion?

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)
post #27 of 29 Old May 5th, 2012, 8:29 am

Quote:
I checked the written quote I received. It was for a KonTour seat (front, rear, and back rest), not a Russell Day-Long. Sorry for the misinformation. I'm going to the Russell site right now.
Sorry John, missed this post...

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)
post #28 of 29 Old May 5th, 2012, 5:51 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Well Linton, maybe you should get ride of that horrid Russell Seat and gift it to Dennis.
ok Tony to be fair to Russell, I should have said the seat has not improved my riding time on the bike, I covered 100k km on the original seat ,tried airhawks even a used kontour It is just me,,my arse sucks, I cant get used to sitting on the wings and sliding forward all the time.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #29 of 29 Old May 5th, 2012, 8:24 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
It is just me,,my arse sucks
...and therein lies the problem... ain't it supposd to exhale... except maybe at those "pucker" moments...

cheers mate!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in