starter button - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 1st, 2012, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

starter button

i just bought a 2002 k1200 lt and do not know the purpose of the lever under the starter button. help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 1st, 2012, 10:04 pm

Re: starter button

You have a switch for the heated grips, off, med, high
You have a turn signal switch
you have a bc selector switch for your computer if your bike has one.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old May 1st, 2012, 10:17 pm

I think he might be talking about the kill switch maybe?

post #4 of 14 Old May 1st, 2012, 10:47 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkuczynski
...the lever under the starter button. help please
This is a so-called 'kill switch' that has (3) positions, left-center-right. Left and right are STOP while center is RUN. Use this switch to stop the engine, and place it back into the RUN position when you want to start the engine.

When you shut off the engine with this switch, the brake power booster remains on, so if the bike rolls you still have finger-tip stopping ability,

Since this bike is new to you , I offer a parking tip. After you stop the engine with the STOP switch, leave it in gear, ease out the clutch and roll forward until it takes up the slack in the gearbox and stops. Then, swing out the sidestand and ease her over. Notice that the engine now prevents it from rolling forward and the sidestand prevents it from rolling backward. This is a very stable position.

When it is on the sidestand and stable, go ahead and switch off the key.

To start, turn on the key and watch the red flashing light on the dash go from fast to slow blink as the brake booster does its self-check. Lean the bike upright, fold in the sidestand and pull in the clutch. Last, flip the switch to the center RUN position, press the starter button and she will start right up.

Enjoy the ride!
post #5 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkuczynski
... the lever under the starter button....
... so-called 'kill switch' ...
You guys are so nice! I was instead expecting someone to describe how the above-mentioned switch deploys the force field in left position and releases the ejection seat when flipped to the right. What a pity...

Hey, Alex, welcome to the tribe!

As a hint: do not get into a habit of just using the kill switch to turn the bike off. You may wind up leaving the ignition still on, draining the battery while you are walking away.

Everyone here has his own opinion and habits, but I never use the kill switch - except when having dropped the bike. BTDT.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2012, 5:58 am

Now I wonder if the guy that has the abs pump running all the time might have a prob with the kill switch.
Maybe it's "on" just enough for the pump to run or has a short..you guys may have hit on something.
post #7 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2012, 6:09 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones1955
...abs pump running all the time might have a prob with the kill switch. Maybe it's "on" just enough for the pump to run or has a short..you guys may have hit on something.
If you are referring to my post "When you shut off the engine with this switch, the brake power booster remains on" what I meant is that by using the shutoff switch, the power to the booster remains on and it is ready for use. If you switch off the key, you will revert to manual brakes, which have a very different 'feel' to them and can surprise you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
As a hint: do not get into a habit of just using the kill switch to turn the bike off. You may wind up leaving the ignition still on, draining the battery while you are walking away.
We can disagree on this point. I always turn off the bike and put the key in my pocket before I walk away, except when I park bike in the garage. In the garage, I can see the headlight shining on the back wall to remind me to switch off. Also, since I ride with the radio on, I have a second reminder to forget to turn it off and walk away. So, my advice is to use the shutoff switch, but to each their own.
post #8 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2012, 6:28 am

I never used the kill switch when stopping. I don't think I ever used it period. I know it is not what is taught and I'm hoping that anyone reading this is not in an accident because of what I'm going to say, along with all of the usual disclaimers.. etc...

In 40+ years of riding and 50K miles on my 02 K1200LT, I always stopped by slowing down to a stop in 1st gear and then extending the kickstand. This killed the engine and I gently rolled it forward to let the transmission take up the slack. Then I turned it off with the key. My kill switch was quite dusty.

I do the same with my K1600.... It's flat down here and maybe that's why I can get away with it. Seems like I did the same though in WV.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2012, 7:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
... I always stopped by slowing down to a stop in 1st gear and then extending the kickstand. This killed the engine and I gently rolled it forward to let the transmission take up the slack. Then I turned it off with the key. ...
That is exactly my own personal system.
But the differences to other approaches are so minimal, that it really is a matter of personal preference.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #10 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2012, 9:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

I can tell you from recent personal experience that if you do use the kill switch as you are in the process of laying it down, adrenaline will break the tab right off.

post #11 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2012, 1:19 pm

The kill switch is to kill the bike in an emergency.. Leave it alone... Don't fu'mess with it or you'll have a bike that won't run one day...It's not a very robust switch...

Come to a stop... Put down the side stand to shut off the bike.. Leaving the bike in first gear.

Take your hands off the levers and let the drivetrain settle on the engine..

Turn off the key and wait 20-30 seconds for the oil to drain back into the crankcase.

Then place the bike on the sidestand... Or center stand as you prefer...

I dont use neutral.. I don't use the kill switch... Never when riding....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #12 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2012, 2:08 pm

My MSF instructor told me to use the switch...it's a learned muscle memory you might need if turning the bike off in a hurry. Course, this switch is quite a bit less robust than the one I learned on.

I don't spend a lot of time on the side stand, not since I learned what 'it may smoke a little' really meant. Lets just say the mosquitos don't stand a CHANCE this year!

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #13 of 14 Old May 2nd, 2012, 2:12 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
The kill switch is to kill the bike in an emergency.. Leave it alone... Don't fu'mess with it or you'll have a bike that won't run one day...It's not a very robust switch...
I disagree, strongly, and will continue to use my preferred method of switching off with the shutoff lever.

However, that is not to say that extending the sidestand will not turn off the engine or that it will not work for y'all.
post #14 of 14 Old May 3rd, 2012, 7:05 am

I would think the correct shut down procedure is using the ignition key, that is why it's there.
In the days of carbs it wasn't an issue, it can be with FI to continually use the e stop switch. The e stop along with the side stand switch are there for safety.
I do know that Honda, with PGM injection, stated NOT to use the e stop for normal shut down.

The MSF is a little dated when it comes to modern motorcycles.

Just Sayin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in