Vent tube question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 30th, 2012, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

Vent tube question

I have an 05 LT and just had both wheel circuit fluid changed, also had a new odessy battery put in, Rode it 75 miles today and when I got home I had a quarter size pool of what looks like water on the floor under the vent tube that comes down next to the swingarm?

Looks like it goes up under the seat to a tee and continues into some sort of black box on the left side of the bike?

I have owned the bike since new and have never seen anything drip from this vent. Any thoughts? I will give the dealer a call on Tuesday.

Thanks
Glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 30th, 2012, 6:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Vent tube question

That is just overflow from the wheel circuit reservoirs. There may have been a temperature difference in the shop and outside when they flushed the brakes. That was expansion. I usually set the level with the caliper pistons fully retracted then pump them back out. If they pumped them out and THEN set the level it would explain the overflow. If you feel that "water" it will seem slimy on your fingers. Don't get any on a painted surface.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 30th, 2012, 6:55 pm

If its not oil or antifreeze, then it could be battery overflow due to charging. If it is, RINSE WELL WITH WATER AND BAKING SODA.

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 30th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
That is just overflow from the wheel circuit reservoirs. There may have been a temperature difference in the shop and outside when they flushed the brakes. That was expansion. I usually set the level with the caliper pistons fully retracted then pump them back out. If they pumped them out and THEN set the level it would explain the overflow. If you feel that "water" it will seem slimy on your fingers. Don't get any on a painted surface.
I believe John may be correct. Battery is Gel ( I think)

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 30th, 2012, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks John, you always have a calm answer when I have a question. I will definatly sleep better tonight. Brownie sundae on me next time we get to the Ironhorse.

Thanks Glen
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 30th, 2012, 7:28 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yeah we missed you Glen this time. We had a few new comers this year and one of them got a little hot in the corners and low sided the LT after the centerstand dug in. He is fine and the bike drove back to VA Beach OK but it did about $4,800 in damage. Hope to see you again in the fall.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 30th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Yeah we missed you Glen this time. We had a few new comers this year and one of them got a little hot in the corners and low sided the LT after the centerstand dug in. He is fine and the bike drove back to VA Beach OK but it did about $4,800 in damage. Hope to see you again in the fall.

$5,800 with labor is the latest.

Progressive rep came out to the house on Friday. His estimate includes labor. I intend to do all of my own.

There was a Long Island LT that low sided on Thur. Honda Shadow also dropped on Friday, plus the Harley. I was not alone.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 30th, 2012, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

I don't think Ohio was represented to well this spring, Joe had a gig, Howard and Steve were there a week early, and I was stuck at work. I will try and talk to those guys and see if we can make a return visit this fall.

Sorry to here about all the downed riders, those roads are super, but you better be paying attention or they will bite you in the ass!

Glen
post #9 of 10 Old May 1st, 2012, 12:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
$5,800 with labor is the latest.

Progressive rep came out to the house on Friday. His estimate includes labor. I intend to do all of my own.

There was a Long Island LT that low sided on Thur. Honda Shadow also dropped on Friday, plus the Harley. I was not alone.
Well I didn't name names Glenn. But what you did was pretty spectacular and to ride it home without a scratch (on you) was impressive. Looks like you will be back on the LT after all.

That was Carlos on his 1600GT, the chip seal gravel on Wayah Road got him. We ended up cutting the top (badly scratched) of her windshield on the Shadow so she could see to ride home. All lowsides were ridden home safely!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 10 Old May 1st, 2012, 10:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenhinegardner
I don't think Ohio was represented to well this spring, Joe had a gig, Howard and Steve were there a week early, and I was stuck at work. I will try and talk to those guys and see if we can make a return visit this fall. ...
Glen
Thinking about it, Glen. At that time of year, it usually comes down to how many vacation days are left. We'll see. Having ridden Wayah Road when we were there last month, I'd like to go back and do that a few more times.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in