Confused and Concerned Newbie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 6:06 pm Thread Starter

Question Confused and Concerned Newbie

Hello, All. I have just joined this site and have spent way too much time reading and learning!! I am seriously considering an LT as my next ride but must confess to some mixed feelings based on my research here.

Some background. I returned to riding 2 years ago after many years away and have racked 10K on my '03 Suzuki Volusia. Vol has been/is a great bike but the whine from the pillion is getting worse. So, off I go to find a suitable replacement that we can both enjoy. What a kick! Looking for a new bike is almost as much fun as riding and here in the frozen North (S. Ont, Canada) about all you can do between freeze and thaw.

In any case, yesterday I visited Open Road BMW in Aurora, North of Toronto and found a demo '05 gold with 1700 KM (about 1000 mi) already discounted $2k from list to $28K CAD (prices are higher here, it seems). I don't have the final numbers yet but I am being promised some aggressive prices.

So, the questions are:
1. How serious is this wobble thing that seems to infect the '05's?
2. Is it mandatory to plan on dropping it?
3. For the Canadians out there - opinion on the price and if you can, the dealer. Incentives here include 2.95% on '05's until 3/31.
4. If you have moved from a mid-size V-twin, what is the learning curve like and what special concerns or be carefuls do I need to know?

The bike looks great, feels great in the showroom - no riding for me at 25F and I have long been an admirer of the marque but you guys have made me a tad nervous - please help.

BTW, one of the best M/C sites I have seen!

Thanks for all your opinions.

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 6:20 pm

1. If you run your front tire at 42 psi and rear at 48 psi you will not have a wobble problem until the tires are worn out from regular wear. Use BMW recommend pressures and it will start very soon. If the used bike has been running at low pressures negotiate new tires into the purchase price - they are already toasted even if they have lots of tread left - the problem is "scalloping". Check your pressure every time you ride.

2. I've owned mine for 5 years and have not dropped it - along with many others here.
Pay attention to what you are doing and you will have no problem. Stay off the front brake on gravel or dirt at slow speeds. With your experience you'll get the hang of the LT in a couple of weeks - no problem.
I would recommend not having a pillion during this time.

3. You might want to investigate buying a used 05 in the states and importing it - based your price of $28K CAN I think you can find an excellent low mileage example in Michigan or New York for perhaps $7,000 CAN less. It might take a bit of shopping and travel but 05's are popping up used all the time right now.

4. You're about to make a great choice - don't let all the negative naysaying naybobs influence you - for two up spirited riding there is nothing even close.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Mar 21st, 2006 at 6:31 pm.
post #3 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 6:26 pm

Welcome to our world of madness!!!
You will most definitely love the heated grips and heated seats, as well as the very well designed fairing and windshield.
The bike can give you that spirited ride, yet will keep the pillion happy (an quiet)!
1. How serious is this wobble thing that seems to infect the '05's? Just ride it!
2. Is it mandatory to plan on dropping it? Maybe... but don't sweat it!
3. For the Canadians out there - opinion on the price and if you can, the dealer. Incentives here include 2.95% on '05's until 3/31. Can't help you there...!
4. If you have moved from a mid-size V-twin, what is the learning curve like and what special concerns or be carefuls do I need to know? Moving from any bike to the LT will take some getting used to it. Low speed can feel intimidating at first, but just keep the front wheel straight and use the rear brake only.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantvol16
Hello, All. I have just joined this site and have spent way too much time reading and learning!! I am seriously considering an LT as my next ride but must confess to some mixed feelings based on my research here.

Some background. I returned to riding 2 years ago after many years away and have racked 10K on my '03 Suzuki Volusia. Vol has been/is a great bike but the whine from the pillion is getting worse. So, off I go to find a suitable replacement that we can both enjoy. What a kick! Looking for a new bike is almost as much fun as riding and here in the frozen North (S. Ont, Canada) about all you can do between freeze and thaw.

In any case, yesterday I visited Open Road BMW in Aurora, North of Toronto and found a demo '05 gold with 1700 KM (about 1000 mi) already discounted $2k from list to $28K CAD (prices are higher here, it seems). I don't have the final numbers yet but I am being promised some aggressive prices.

So, the questions are:
3. For the Canadians out there - opinion on the price and if you can, the dealer. Incentives here include 2.95% on '05's until 3/31.
4. If you have moved from a mid-size V-twin, what is the learning curve like and what special concerns or be carefuls do I need to know?

The bike looks great, feels great in the showroom - no riding for me at 25F and I have long been an admirer of the marque but you guys have made me a tad nervous - please help.

Geoff
Geoff

Fill out your profile so we can see where you are from in Canada. I am in Caledon, ON own a 1999 K1200LT and it's great. I use Open Road for my sevice. If you are around sometime drop in for a coffee. PM me and I'll give you my number.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #5 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments - not sure about the import strategy but the price variable is stunning! The '05 I'm considering is technically new since it has never been registered and qualifies for full warranty etc.

Garry, I have upated my profile partially. I assume that your experience with Open Road and Paul has been satisfactory?

Thanks, guys

Geoff
post #6 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 7:34 pm

I can speak on coming from the Volusai, I just bought a 2002lt after riding an INtruder (800). The lt actually is easier to handle! Rides like a dream. The only problem I have had is the comfort factor when sitting still at lights or whatever. I think that really just takes some time to build your confidence.
Dropping it? Well God bless any one who has had one and not dropped it. I owned mine five minutes before I dropped it coming out of the dealer lot on an off camber turn into traffic (guess that is why the test ride didn't use that entrance!!) NO big deal, the bumpers saved it. Just be careful putting up on center stand and taking off and do not stop with the front wheel turned. If it drops get off and pick it up. YOur pillion will love you for buying it, that's what caused me to get mine. She actually told me to keep the intruder too but I am thinking of selling it.
post #7 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 7:52 pm
fas

Cool Lt

You will not regret the decision. Sure, the 800# high c.g. beast is a handful at low speeds, especially for those who are under six feet tall. But, fear not. Dropping her a few times is no big deal. Just don't fight her when she starts to go down as you will get hurt. Bail safely and try again. I now have over 15,000 miles on mine and I love it.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #8 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 7:57 pm

Quote:
Thanks for the comments - not sure about the import strategy but the price variable is stunning! The '05 I'm considering is technically new since it has never been registered and qualifies for full warranty etc.

Garry, I have upated my profile partially. I assume that your experience with Open Road and Paul has been satisfactory?

Thanks, guys

Geoff
Nope, it is still a used bike at 1K... you can buy a brand new or used one for much less in the US. I would check out Detroit BMW - a four hour drive or so? They have gotten good reviews...

Keep your eye on the classifieds - be ready with cash on hand, your passport, and I think you can do MUCH better by buying from a member on this site. Almost every one here babies their rides and is pretty fanatical about maintenance. Check out this recent post from Phoenix, no rain, no salt, no dirt, for $15,999 - roughly $18,600 CAN. This would be an awesome ride back to Toronto if you go north through the Rockies then head east:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6630

I know that several guys here have imported bikes into Canada - and from what I understand the paperwork is minimal and the duty is very reasonable as well. Not to mention you have all of those friendly Canadian border customs inspectors (wearing bulletproof vests and sidearms) to contend with, eh?!

Good luck!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Mar 21st, 2006 at 8:18 pm.
post #9 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 8:08 pm

Geoff,

One thing you have to remember about a forum such as this, people want to report and fix problems for the most part. You get to here the problems and translate that into everyone is having these problems.

The LT is a somewhat complex machine and with any machine there are problems if you have a large enough statistical sample. The LT is an excellent machine overall.

At this level of motorcycle you have two choices. Go to "there" web sites and you will find problems. So it comes down to the question, do you want to drive the sexiest, best handling touring motorcycle, or one with more torque and lower center of gravity.

Decide soon, winter is almost over.

Rick
post #10 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 8:14 pm

Back into riding after many years off like you..Went from a VTX 1300 to the LT..
As most have said, just mind the front wheel being straight while stopping if using front brake and avoid using front brake at slow speeds..be mindful of terrain when putting feet down in dirt or gravel..
I just finished the Exp Rider course with MSF and tho' it was work, I feel much more confident now..
That all being said, this is a sweet riding and handling bike..I have no regrets ever buying it..Rode it from Tampa, FL to Las Vegas, NV a week after buying it and had an enjoyable trip..That was my learning curve..To qote: "Just ride it!!"
post #11 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 8:27 pm Thread Starter

Sorry, had to take a dinner break. RonKMiller, I will definitely look into the Detroit dealer situation. You are right - about 4 hours away - and from waht i gather from this site, that is a before coffee type of outing for you guys on your LT's. I am so looking forward to the long distance rides that you write about but I am not sure I'd want to tackle the trip from Phoenix to here as ride One!

Glad to hear that the transition from the Vol shouldn't be too tough. I will be taking an upgrade course here this year and was wondering about keeping the Vol for the course so i didn't have to worry about the weight & handling challenges of the bigger bike.

Is it really that easy to pick it up when (if) you drop it? No damage? I took a look at the front "bumpers" and can see how they protect but what about the side bags?

You guys are great!

Geoff
post #12 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 8:31 pm Thread Starter

Another question - I thought that with the linked brakes, that it didn't matter which way I applied braking, I would get braking action on both wheels. Are the brakes not linked? I guess a better question is how do they work - does the back brake work independently of the front?

Geoff
post #13 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 8:36 pm

Quote:
Sorry, had to take a dinner break. RonKMiller, I will definitely look into the Detroit dealer situation. You are right - about 4 hours away - and from waht i gather from this site, that is a before coffee type of outing for you guys on your LT's. I am so looking forward to the long distance rides that you write about but I am not sure I'd want to tackle the trip from Phoenix to here as ride One!

Glad to hear that the transition from the Vol shouldn't be too tough. I will be taking an upgrade course here this year and was wondering about keeping the Vol for the course so i didn't have to worry about the weight & handling challenges of the bigger bike.

Is it really that easy to pick it up when (if) you drop it? No damage? I took a look at the front "bumpers" and can see how they protect but what about the side bags?

You guys are great!

Geoff
Phoenix to Toronto is a piece o' cake on an LT with good boots and an Aerostitch suit or BMW riding gear. You'll be a veteran on it by the time you get home...

Just remember to turn the heated grips and seat on high while under way...

(which one newbie I know (ahem) 5 years ago forgot to do when the temp dipped below freezing for 200 kilometers or so. DOH! )

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 8:38 pm

Quote:

Thanks, guys

Geoff
Yes, dealings have been good. I got a great price on tires last year from Paul. I bought mine 2 years ago for $16,000 cdn. Last year We did 2 up about 12000km coast to coast about 12 days riding. This year heading to Vegas, Mexico, Florida then home only 10,000 km. K1200LT is a great bike.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #15 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

I am so impressed with the length of the rides - you aren't just pulling the leg of the new guy are you?

What a contrast from the cruiser rides that I have been taking. You know the kind - 30 minutes to Port Dover, 2 hours drinking coffee at Tim's and 30 minutes home. Can't wait! The longest I have done to date is ... no, never mind, not telling it is so lame in comparison.

RonK, I will probably forget the heaters since they will be new to me but I sure do enjoy them in the car so maybe not.

Garry, is 1000 km per day fairly standard and easy to do?

This thread is going to cost me large, I can just feel it!

Geoff
post #16 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 9:15 pm

Easy to pick up? I am 5'9'' and 165 in good shape. If I wasn't in good shape it may be hard. The only problem I have had was when I dropped off the center stand (hadn't read how to get it off) in my garage and the floor is very slick, I had to buy one of those non-skid garage mats to get some traction. Always wear good boots. Anyway, the trouble is well worth the ride!
post #17 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 9:46 pm

#1 Just ride it!
#2 Just drop it! (no biggie)
#3 Just buy it!
#4 Just say, "A V what???

Great advice in the thread. As said above, here is where we bring problems to fix them. Don't be overwhelmed. Also once said here...
"This bike answers questions I never even asked!"

Welcome to the nicest board of it's kind on the web. Once you've settled in take time to visit the little "donate" button at the bottom. Lotta bang for the buck 'round here!
post #18 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 10:10 pm

Quote:

The bike looks great, feels great in the showroom - no riding for me at 25F and I have long been an admirer of the marque but you guys have made me a tad nervous - please help. Geoff
Hi Geoff,
Vancouver here... my wife and I bought our 05 LT last March for $27 with 350 km. Ours has everything on it except a GPS. I understand Vancouver prices are higher than Toronto's. The price should be lower for an 05 at this time of year, even if it has all the bells & whistles. Look at the American pricing. You could probably get that bike for $21? in the US. The dealership probably bought the bike in 05 when our dollar was in the 78 to 80 cent range, now we are 6 to 7 cents better than that so the dealership could be tough to move on the price.

If you buy it, don't worry about the bike, it's fabulous. I couldn't wait to ride it every day I could. After I put 1000 km on it, got the oil changed, I went to Calgary in June for the superbike races, by then I had 3000 km on it. On one of the straight stretches I took the bike up to 205 kmph. I also got my eyes opened when I was taking the bike through some 30 kmph corners at 110+. It handles as good as anything I've ever ridden, big or small. Buy it and enjoy life!

Cheers, Bill
post #19 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 10:17 pm

Geoff,
Here's a primer on the brakes.
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...apsed&sb=5&o=7
If you ride the rear brake light enough it does not noticably actuate the front in slow manuvers. Do a search this subject has lots of followers.
Rick
post #20 of 49 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 10:38 pm

Thumbs up We'll have to go for a ride.

I purchased an 02 lt in october 05 in Rochester from Country Rode BMW, after looking around in the Toronto area market for a while and sensing that the Canadian market was way too high compared to almost everything in the US. Really nice dealer with great attitude about customer service. Lent me dealer plates to drive home and gave me his fed ex envelope for mailing them back because I forgot my dealer's plates in Burlington.I've ridden the bike a few times since purchasing and have enjoyed every minute of it. Rides like a dream. The importing into Canada was easier than if I had tried to bring a corned beef sandwich back. No taxes, no modifications, no border hassle.
I paid just a tad over 10K CDN for the bike. It has most of the main things. CD, heated etc.etc., as Geoff in Caledon said, he paid close to 16k last year for a 99. ( think tha's what you indicated). So you can see that there can be some fantastic savings.
Havn't dropped it yet, Thank G-D. Haven't taken any passengers but the rear seat sure feels comfortable to me, not that I'll ever go there.

Hope I don't have any wobbles, but I had wobbles from scalloping on the bridgestones on my ST1100. Correct pressure will keep the scallops away.

So far so good.
When you get it post on the Canadian forum and we will meet up with the others in the area this spring/summer.
I'm in Hamilton so can go easily in any direction in Southern Ontario.

See you soon.
post #21 of 49 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 2:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
1. If you run your front tire at 42 psi and rear at 48 psi you will not have a wobble problem until the tires are worn out from regular wear. Use BMW recommend pressures and it will start very soon. If the used bike has been running at low pressures negotiate new tires into the purchase price - they are already toasted even if they have lots of tread left - the problem is "scalloping". Check your pressure every time you ride.

2. I've owned mine for 5 years and have not dropped it - along with many others here.
Pay attention to what you are doing and you will have no problem. Stay off the front brake on gravel or dirt at slow speeds. With your experience you'll get the hang of the LT in a couple of weeks - no problem.
I would recommend not having a pillion during this time.

3. You might want to investigate buying a used 05 in the states and importing it - based your price of $28K CAN I think you can find an excellent low mileage example in Michigan or New York for perhaps $7,000 CAN less. It might take a bit of shopping and travel but 05's are popping up used all the time right now.

4. You're about to make a great choice - don't let all the negative naysaying naybobs influence you - for two up spirited riding there is nothing even close.
Why do you suppose 05 models are popping up all the time right now. It woul dseem the 05 and 06 may be the best of the breed based on all the refinements made over time.
As to wobble I have never experienced it. Did not know about it until I read it on this site. It is real or there would not be that many posts regarding issue. The best and most enjoyable bike I have ever ridden.A front end specialist once commented that until he researched a problem he did not know if there was a loose behind the wheel or really a loose nut (mechanical problem)
post #22 of 49 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 8:52 am

KEPASA,
"Why do you suppose 05 models are popping up all the time right now." ( For Sale)

The same reason other '05 vehicles are for sale. There are a lot of people out there that "thought" they wanted an LT (or a Jeep), but decided they didn't. Takes 6 months to a year for reality to get past the glitz. Factor in a motorcycle is something you want not something you need, for most folks, and the number of slightly owned bikes, for sale, would be higher than other vehicles, percentage wise.

If your in a climate where the motorcycle sits idle for a few months the notion to sell it would increase. Same guy is wondering why he spent $4000 on a lawn tractor and doesn't have a snow blower.

At least this is how it has worked for me, well not the winter thing. Never could find a reason to live in a place where you could not ride all year.

Rick
post #23 of 49 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 9:19 am

I bought my '05 used with only 312 miles on her. Why was she available? Because the guy who bought her new had little experience with motorcycles and was only 5'7" tall. He should NEVER have even considered an LT without considerable riding experience on a large motorcycle.

You have done that with 10,000 on the Volusia and experience should be no problem for you. But consider your height..... this particular bike seems to be more suited to taller people than shorter. I don't know why but it seems that way.

As for dropping her.... I've been riding for going on 30 years and have never dropped any one of the 15 motorcycles I've owned over that period. Having said that, I am relatively sure that I will drop this bike at some point in time.... I just don't know when that time will come and I certainly hope my wife isn't on the back of it when it happens!

As for troubles with wobbling, etc., this forum is specifically designed for discussion of any and all of the upside to these bikes and also the downside (as any member might see it). Having been a member of Harley, Moto Guzzi, and Hinckley Triumph forums just like this one, I can assure you that each and every brand and model come with their particular oddities. Our beloved LT's are no different in that regard, but mine is certainly the best motorcycle I have ever owned and having been through 6 new motorcycles in the last 9 years I can safely say that I have finally found a "keeper".

Steve Gray
'05 LT (used)
post #24 of 49 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great comments - I am ovewhelmed by the responses.

To clarify a couple of points that you have raised - I am not vertically challenged at 6'1". In fact I am more focused on the riding position re my knees than I am on keeping it vertical at a stop.

Once the deal gets done, either here or in the US, I will post the progress and look forward to finding the Ontario forum.

Starky, I am most impressed with the lack of fuss at the border! No special paperwork needed? Really - how unlike the Can govt.

Looks like we may catch a break in the weather department this week-end (at least above freezing) so I am sure some of eager beavers will be out there - enjoy!!

Geoff
post #25 of 49 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 1:11 pm

Another former Volusia (Boulevard) rider

Hi Geoff,

Welcome to the site! You'll get tons of great information here. I can tell you from experience that the switch from a midsize Volusia (I had the C50 Boulevard, same bike.) will not be bad at all. The handling of the LT is superb compared to the Suzuki and the acceleration, overall power and amenities, well, there's no comparison. I was also very intimidated by what I had read about dropping the LT, but after 1500 miles on my LT, I have yet to experience a drop. I have come close only once (knock on wood)... It was during a stop in a tight turn with the front wheel turned to the left and my eyes looking down. I didn't have too much trouble holding on, though, it might have been due to my 32" inseam and outstanding BMW boots. Oh, that's one item to consider if you don't already own some. Good boots! I ripped the crap out of a pair of running shoes just moving the LT around in my garage!!!! Good sturdy riding boots will pay great dividends.

You're making a great choice, my wife is thrilled to be able to ride with me comfortably, and I'm happy that she wants to ride!!! One sentence you'll see on this site a lot says it all. Just ride it!!!! You will love it......
post #26 of 49 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 1:56 pm

Geoff,

I live in the Detroit area and would be happy to help you in any way I can. I travel to Canada often as my wife and I also own a lakefront home in Wheatley.

If you want to come to the states to shop for an LT, I am 4 miles from Erhard BMW in Canton and only about 20 from Detroit BMW. We could meet up and I could introduce you to the guys at Erhard BMW and shop at the other dealership if the one in Canton didn't have what you were looking for.

Just let me know.

Steve
'05 LT
post #27 of 49 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 2:54 pm

Quote:
I am so impressed with the length of the rides - you aren't just pulling the leg of the new guy are you?

Garry, is 1000 km per day fairly standard and easy to do?

This thread is going to cost me large, I can just feel it!

Geoff
Geoff

I've pobably put on over 1000 km so far this year. Since Jan. 300k on March 11th. Done the Dover run couple times. With the SO we ride for about 2 hours then take a 10-15 minute break then back on. She has a knee problem. Really easy to ride distances. Set the cruise and your off.

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #28 of 49 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 3:58 pm

Welcome Newbie,
Coming from another NEWBIE(myself)...I am very new to this Forum thing on the net...Just figured out myself yesterday there was a profile, and I have reading this stuff for three months ...I was wondering where all those Quotes and signatures got updated? This Forum is the coolest way to find out anything Positive and Negative...
1) My 2006 LT wobbled only one time! It was due to letting too much air pressure out. My gauge said 44 psi but later found out my gauge was Incorrect!(lesson learned here purchase a quality Air guage) These are heavy bikes and air pressure are sensitive..You must keep 44 + on the Bridgestone tire. My bike handles great !! This is coming from an retired road-racer champion.
2) Be Proud ! ZMDC (Zero Motorcycle Down Club) No please do not lay her down. Save that for your Human women friends...
3) Price ...You get what you pay for ! There is Not a Japan bike to compare this K1200LT...Just put your buns in the saddle and you will understand ! Nothing goes this Speed and Handles and...gets this kind of miles per gallon...with all the performance....I have drove and broke ALL other Wantbe Lux-tours bikes !
4) Big learning curve coming from a low RPM Cruiser...First do not shift the way you did on your Suzuki...This BMW K1200LT's enjoys 7,000 + Rpm a little Blip from the throttle No Clutch and a slight click from you toes and she shifts !! Also in first Gear too much gas sends the back tire sliding out to your right side...Reminds me of my days flat-trackin..Slip the clutch WFO and she wheelies better than the Goldwings. Then there is the flip side to all this performance...STOPPING !! You have never used Brakes until you own an LT...These are the Worlds BEST Brakes....Make sure you are ready to stop when you grab a hand full !! I highly recommend practicing before showing off... I almost flipped "JOY" that's her name in the parking lot at work doing Wheelies Showing off...then almost dropped her due to the Brakes in the same minute...BUY this motorcycle and then reply......Read everything you have time for on this site !

Jeff Goodwin
Austin, Texas

"Life is a coin.
You can spend it anyway you wish,
but you can only spend it once."

post #29 of 49 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 6:44 pm
ajs

I am a Canadian living in N.S. and have been researching the '05 LT at this site, at the local Maritime dealer, Quebec and Ontario dealers and across the border in the U.S. This includes both new and used bikes. Historically, I have been a Beemer rider for 25 years. Except last year I took a weak turn and bought a new 1800 Goldwing. SOLD it over the winter. Won't do that again!!

Getting back to my LT searches. I found Canadian prices and choices best in Quebec at Monnette in Laval. Ontario I found to be more pricing by the book. My local dealer was about middle of the road for pricing and I probably would have bought except they could not supply in the colour I/we wanted.

Having said all that, NOTHING could compare to pricing and selection from across the border so the result of all that is I am taking delivery of an '05 LT this Friday at the Maine/N.B. border. I am able to do this purchase, pay the . Can. to U.S. conversion, transportation to the border, and all Canadian taxes and registration and still have some money left over from the sale of my Goldwing and the LT is much better equipped too.

Some quick info regarding importing into Canada. I find both the U.S. and Canadian customs to be cooperative and very helpful to a novice importer. Paper work is pretty well straight forward. There is no duty for a used Beemer, there is for a new one. I believe it is because the bike is German made and the first time registered. If you should consider the U.S. option feel free to contact me. I can give you more complete information re importing as it applies to both U.S. and Canadian customs. I will be heading to the U.S. border tomorrow and probably won't be back before Sunday or Monday. You can email me at [email protected]. I will respond when I get back.

Oh yes, I agree with RonKMiller regarding tire pressures. One of the first things I will be doing is checking tire pressures on the LT and making any necessary changes to 42 and 48 psi.

Hope this is of some help.

Austin
post #30 of 49 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 7:45 pm

Thumbs up

"There is no duty for a used Beemer, there is for a new one."

Wow, that alone would pay for a multi day trip to the US including, hotel, airfare and food...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #31 of 49 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Smile

I have started the research for US bikes reasonably close to me and have not found much. The dealer in Rochester has an 05 same coloue as the one here but his asking is about the same with exchange. Struck out so far in Detroit but may reach farther afield and explore options in Dayton and maybe Pittsburgh. Any feedback on the dealers in N. PA?

Your responses and gracious offers have really made the difference in my mind - if I found another brand close to the LT (don't start - I know it is peerless), this people on this forum definitely tip the decision in favour of the Beemer.

Steve, you just blew me away with the offer to help me in the MI/OH dealer quest. Thanks so much. Work pressure will prevent me from dong much for a few days but I will be in touch.

Austin, hope all goes well with the new LT and the border stuff. Look forward to hearing about it and thanks for the info on the process. I guess you can't actually register your new bike until you get it into Canada?

More later - thanks again all!

Geoff
post #32 of 49 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 9:25 pm

Quote:
I have started the research for US bikes reasonably close to me and have not found much. The dealer in Rochester has an 05 same coloue as the one here but his asking is about the same with exchange. Struck out so far in Detroit but may reach farther afield and explore options in Dayton and maybe Pittsburgh. Any feedback on the dealers in N. PA?

Your responses and gracious offers have really made the difference in my mind - if I found another brand close to the LT (don't start - I know it is peerless), this people on this forum definitely tip the decision in favour of the Beemer.

Steve, you just blew me away with the offer to help me in the MI/OH dealer quest. Thanks so much. Work pressure will prevent me from dong much for a few days but I will be in touch.

Austin, hope all goes well with the new LT and the border stuff. Look forward to hearing about it and thanks for the info on the process. I guess you can't actually register your new bike until you get it into Canada?

More later - thanks again all!

Geoff
Geoff, if you're searching into Ohio don't forget BMW Motorcycles of Columbus and BMW Motorcycles of Cleveland. I bought mine at BMW of Columbus, FWIW, and know those folks pretty well. Recently visited BMW of Cleveland; a larger facility than Columbus.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #33 of 49 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

Any recent LT's?

Howard, did you notice if the dealer in Cleveland had any recent, low mileage or new'05's? If it wasn't so cold, I could cut across the lake and cut the trip down to 50 miles or so! Oh well, gotta take the long way round (where have I heard that before?) thru Buffalo - not quite like going through Siberia but close

Geoff
post #34 of 49 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Howard, did you notice if the dealer in Cleveland had any recent, low mileage or new'05's? If it wasn't so cold, I could cut across the lake and cut the trip down to 50 miles or so! Oh well, gotta take the long way round (where have I heard that before?) thru Buffalo - not quite like going through Siberia but close

Geoff
Don't recall that, Geoff, although I know he did have used bikes on the floor. He's a larger dealer (more square footage, more bikes, more gear) than the Columbus store. Give him a call: owner Dale Kramer, (330) 562-5200. He had a cool retired San Diego RT-P. I want it!

Also, in Wooster, Ohio (SE of Cleveland about an hour) is All Seasons Sports Center -- even bigger than BMW of Cleveland. He carries BMW, Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki. A ton of used bikes when I was there 3 weeks ago, including a beautiful lt. green R1150RT (sorry, off track...). (330) 264-7735.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #35 of 49 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Don't apologize - I sometimes think that I "need" about a dozen bikes just because ...

Thanks for the leads.

G
post #36 of 49 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 2:46 pm

Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

Geoff: If you're still interested in purchasing an LT Stateside, check out this site: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/forum/v...ic.php?t=28816 It will tell you everything you need to know.

Also, I'm located in Oshawa, and have an '05 LT. PM me if you want my e-mail or telephone #. I'd be glad to help you out in any way I can.

Dave
post #37 of 49 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 3:02 pm

I am impressed, we have finally had someone to admit to being confused. Heck about 99% +/- 1% of all of us are confused. I have owned or ridden just about every brand of motorcycle out there and I don't think for 2-up ridding you will find anything close to the LT for comfort and handling. Some peope swear by the Honda Goldwings, but I have owned several of those and I really like the LT better. The 05 model does handle at low speed better than pre-05 and the power center stand helps also. I think you will really love the LT and I know your SO will.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #38 of 49 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 3:25 pm

I still have an '02 Volusia and purchased a brand new 2005 LT. I live in Brampton, ON and bought my LT in Montreal this past November for $26,000. The list on it was $31,000. I pick it up and ride it home in a couple of weeks.

You don't need to pay $25K for a used LT! You can probably get a brand new 2005 for the same or perhaps a little less and at 1.9% financing for up to 60 months. Send me a PM and I'll fill you in on the details.
post #39 of 49 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Leon, at my advanced years 50+ is all I will admit to, I have learned that there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers. So I ask 'em and so far on this site Ihave had only great responses and support. I am convinced that we all have some degree of confusion when it comes to picking a bike since there probably isn't one out there that fills all the bill all the time. It does sound like the LT comes as close as any though.

al2it, you have mail. got your PM before I saw your post.

A brief update - stopped on the way home to check out the other choices on my shopping list - Venture and Nomad. They are both good looking cycles with a smaller hit on my wallet but the LT just stirs my emotions. Probably the wrong way to make an investmetn but certainly the only way to buy a bike. Anybody want a good used Volusia?

More later

Geoff
post #40 of 49 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 9:59 pm

Geoff,

Contact me anytime you are ready to search the Detroit side. Email me at [email protected] and I will meet you either in Windsor or the Detroit side and we can cover both dealers that are nearby.

Once you have contacted me I will check with both dealers to see what current new/used stock they have.

Happy to help.

Steve
post #41 of 49 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 9:17 pm

Smile Confused & concerned

Welcome - great to have yet another canuck. we are sure thin on the ground when it comes to owing & riding the LT.
As Ron said & others buy south of the border. I bought an 01 this february & probably saved 6-7K compared to local prices. As for importing - it really is very straightforward. The only pain in the butt is that you have to have the relevant papers at the border 72 hours before you cross with the bike.
If you want a step by step procedure for importing PM me & I will send it to you.
Good luck with your search & don't limit your purchase to the Northern states. The advantage of buying in the south is that you get a great ride home - you can easily eat up the 3 days touring.
Mike
post #42 of 49 Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:36 pm

You Are Considering The Best Machine On The Planet

Quote:

So, the questions are:

Geoff

Geoff,

If you want the most superlative machine on two wheels for the purposes of long distance travel in a comfortable fashion there is only one motorcycle and it is the BMW 1200LT. Every thing else is a distance second and third.

The LT will offer you the latest technology, the most modern fashion and the durability that will not leave you in a place you do not want to be.

The LT will allow you to lead and follow and lead again at your will.

It will become a part of you and "she" will execute your directions with impressive agility.

The most important part is when all others have given up for the day you and her will go your own way for another 100 miles and when you return you will smile and tell them, yes it was a good day.

BMW 1200LT - THERE IS NO EQUAL

Fred Turner - The Red Mavin
2000 Canyon Red
"THE RIDE IS THE DESTINATION"
post #43 of 49 Old May 1st, 2006, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

Smile Update to the Quest

Well, after weeks of searching, debate (with myself) and navel gazing, I have decided that the LT should be my next bike. i have also come to the conclusion that BMW Canada has no interest in sellling motorcycles at less than outrageous prices so I will be doing my deal in the US.

Here are some interesting facts: 2006 LT = 32K ++ CAD!! Current exchange is $1 CAD = 0.899 USD so about 11% exchange. So you would assume that US Prices should be around 27 - 28 K. How about that? So I guess the dealers in the US (got a price in Tallahassee of 21.5) are much more charitable and civic minded than those here - NOT! Big thumbs down for BMW Canada.

Wolf BMW in London, Ont is the worst. The sales guy there turned on his heel and wished me good luck when I raised this with him on Saturday. When I attempted to follow up with him, I got a lecture on living in Canada and paying taxes here etc etc. I will be paying full pop Can taxes when my new ride crosses the border so I guess he took exception to me keeping $10,000 in my account that he felt should be in his. What a jerk! I have never been treated so badly by a sales guy in my life.

Anyway, this is not a rant but a celebration. I am really excited about this decision and look forward to enjoying many hours on my new ride when I find it.

Thanks to you all who suggested this course of action. The support form this site is incredible!
post #44 of 49 Old May 1st, 2006, 8:42 pm

Good luck Geoff - Let the love affair begin!

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #45 of 49 Old May 1st, 2006, 9:03 pm

Goeff

Good luck on getting a LT. I just picked mine (new 2006 with Xenon light, anti theft, central lock, ground lighting an extended warranty.) up last Thursday from Paul at Open Road. A VERY positive experience. Paul had a demo 2005 in the showroom, but I decided on a new one.
Agree - a lot of Loonies!!!!

Drove about 200Km from Newmarket to home in about 10 Deg C temps and was nice and warm (Aerostitch Darien jacket and pants) As I got closer to Lake Huron, the temp dropped down to 6-7 Deg C and I turned the seat and grip heating on low and was fine.

I hadn't ridden for 20 years and feel right at home on the bike.

Jim

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #46 of 49 Old May 1st, 2006, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Jim, I first got hooked by that gold demo that Paul has - what a beauty! I think I may have been sitting on your bike when I was there last. Paul is a good guy has really tried his best to do what he could for me - I will probably be using them for service once I get organized.

Congrats on your new bike! I am looking forwrd to experiencing the heated stuuf too but not until October at the earliest Also good to hear how comfortable you felt riding - very encouraging.

Hope to see you on the road

Geoff
post #47 of 49 Old May 1st, 2006, 10:15 pm
Rich_in_Tampa

Geoff,

Not sure where you stand at this point, but I just listed my 2005 LT on the classifieds here at $16,900 with leather custom seats and an intercom/sound system, case liners, etc. etc. Feel free to take a look.

The weather is gorgeous here on the Gulf Coast and the ride back to Ontario would be almost all interstate (if you choose). It's about 1400 miles from here to Toronto (a 2-day ride for veterans on the LT, probably 3 for a new owner). Let me know if you have any questions.

PS: I would be glad to pick you up at the airport if you fly down.
post #48 of 49 Old May 1st, 2006, 10:22 pm Thread Starter

Rich, thanks for the heads-up. I am looking for something closer to home but will take a look at your pics.

We just got back from Cedar Key last Sunday - stopped in Cinci about 9 pm and home by 3 pm next day soyou are right on with the timing.

Good luck with the sale of your LT

Geoff
post #49 of 49 Old May 1st, 2006, 10:29 pm

Quote:
Jim, I first got hooked by that gold demo that Paul has - what a beauty! I think I may have been sitting on your bike when I was there last. Paul is a good guy has really tried his best to do what he could for me - I will probably be using them for service once I get organized.

Congrats on your new bike! I am looking forwrd to experiencing the heated stuuf too but not until October at the earliest Also good to hear how comfortable you felt riding - very encouraging.

Hope to see you on the road

Geoff
Paul let you sit on my new bike????????????? I'll have to negotiate compensation for unknowingly buying a "used" bike!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding!!!

In regards to service, I've talked to the techs at Open Road and they seem very competent. They have just hired a new apprentice as well. Can only tell for sure after I've used the service. Will not be long before it is back for the 1000 Km first service. (i'm doing all my own fluids so I can take oil samples and send for analysis - particularily the rear drive)

Jim

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in