BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Wiring Details for Jensen Install?

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  BlauBeeMr 
#1 ·
My Jensen stereo arrived sooner than my Clymers manual. I would like to do the install today, but my Repair Manual doesn't have a wiring diagram. (seemed odd to me, but oh well) My Clymers manual will prob be here early next week.

Can someone share the wiring connections? I really just need to identify the stereo speakers and constant and switched power. I can take it from there.

Thanks in advance guys.

#2 ·
I can get you a copy of the wiring diagram, but I'll need to know what year your LT is.

#4 ·
Dang! I'm out of the house now; helping a friend move. Should be back in a couple hours and will send it then- sorry about that.

#6 ·
I called the guys that used to "repair" the amp that goes out on the OEM radio....they stopped doing the repairs and gave me a number to a guy in California....they stopped doing it too.

Evidently, the amp is embedded on the motherboard of the radio and epoxy is covering it to prevent replacement...thereby requiring a complete new radio.

I think I'm going this Jensen route too. I'm going to find someplace to make a fiberglass mold of the left handlebar radio control box (the black part) and mount this remote to it instead.

I will take off the stingray and cut it like this one or this one and then go to a fiberglass (boat repair) shop and see if I can make it look custom with a little work!

This is frustrating that it costs so much to replace!

Good luck!

#7 ·
Thanks for the info Rudy!

Got er all hooked up and things are working as expected.Who knew that the LT doesn't have any front speakers, but it has 2 sets of rears! Threw me at first, but then a quick search on here confirmed I was not the only one that noticed this. (And of course I hooked them up wrong the first time out.)

I have not taken it for a ride yet (in the middle of checking the valves) and I am wondering about the wire marked 'speedometer' on the wiring diagram. Did I lose mine? I am ONLY using the wires that I could mate to what was coming out of the Jensen amp unit.

For the life of me, I cant figure out why the speedometer would be integrated into the stereo system.

If anyone can provide details on this, it would help.

And the Jensen unit is a nice replacement for the less than stellar (ok, it REALLY sucked) stereo of a stock LT. In her defense, it is like 15 year old technology (at least) and I was thrilled to be able listen to a CD at all when riding. It served me well for a long time, but I was never really happy with the sound I would get out of it. Occasionally, it would sound 'acceptable' but most of the time it was crackling, fading, skipping, and begrudging giving me something to listen to.

The Jensen sounds pretty darn good. A TON better than the stock one ever did. You can almost say you are immersed in sound between the front and the rear speakers. I never really got that sense from stock. The tuner pulls a lot more stations. And this was in my closed up garage, so I expect it to improve, if nothing else. This is a BIG improvement. I hadn't received my iPod cable yet, so I tried the next best option, using the RCA to mini-plug cable between the iPod and the Jensen. Sounded even better than the radio.

While I am really, really happy with the sound, the jury is still out on the 'usability'. I am a little concerned with being able to read the display. The closer you are to 'straight on' the better you can see the display.This is kind of important if you are going to be accessing your iPod at 65 mph. I tilted mine up as far as I could (farther than anyone else I had seen) but I am not convinced I can really use the stereo without making a concerted effort to lean forward while looking down at the display.

Hopefully this turns out to be a non issue. Aside from the readability of the display, overall I am very happy with the overall unit. The size is darn-near perfect and the sound is 1000% better than what we are all used to. The iPod control is a huge advantage as well. 15 years ago, it was incredible to have 6 CD's at your disposal. Now you can have thousands of CD's to choose from.

If you are on the fence about this mod, I would say do it. It is a huge improvement.

#9 ·
wa1200lt said:
The LT DOES have front speakers. The wire marked "Speedometer" is likely for the automatic volume control as the speed of the bike increases/decreases

Loren
The Clymers manual lists all of the speakers as "REAR". I am figuring it's a typo, or I guess it just depends on how far forward you ride.... :rotf:

You are correct, Sir... The speedo cable is for automatic speed/volume control. No loss in disconnecting for your project...

#12 ·
2K1_6T8 said:
While I am really, really happy with the sound, the jury is still out on the 'usability'. I am a little concerned with being able to read the display. The closer you are to 'straight on' the better you can see the display.This is kind of important if you are going to be accessing your iPod at 65 mph. I tilted mine up as far as I could (farther than anyone else I had seen) but I am not convinced I can really use the stereo without making a concerted effort to lean forward while looking down at the display. Hopefully this turns out to be a non issue. .

When you complete the project--love to see some pics... I've been on the fence for several years on this upgrade...since stock radio is still kicking. I sure like how most have done theirs.

#14 ·
2K1_6T8 said:
Thanks for the info Rudy! Got er all hooked up and things are working as expected.
Great to hear - I'm totally envious! Love to see some pics of your install -think we all would! Plus, any pros and cons as you installed? Any words of wisdom now that you have done the retrofit?

#15 ·
Pics!! We'd like pics!!

After reading your post below, it's got me split in repairing it with Becker Autosound.com or going with Jensen and having to do some major wiring, fabrication, painting, and hoping I don't botch it up!

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.