Final Decisions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:41 pm Thread Starter

Question Final Decisions

After years on the sideline I have decided to begin riding again. The idea of cruising the country roads is very appealing. I don't want to race anywhere, rather I just want to enjoy the cruise. Two up riding is a likely scenario. After much thought, I have to give the nod to the BMW K1200LT because I love the way it looks and it seems like it would be very comfortable. I have concern about the use of premium only fuel because it seems like it might not be available in certain locations. What is BMW going to do about this if premium fuel becomes scarce. What are the thoughts out there? Your input as I make my final decision is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 1:28 pm

Premium Fuel

It's unlikely that Premium Fuel will be any more scarce than any other grade of fuel. As long as there is oil, there will be refineries producing premium fuel and I haven't seen a modern gas station in the past twenty years that didn't offer it and I have been to some pretty out-of-the-way places. I almost always use premium (91 here in Utah) but I have, on occasion used mid grade with no noticeable affects and of course there are always fuel additives.
Most manufacturers recommend premium unleaded. Not just BMW. I wouldn't let it be a concern for you.
post #3 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 2:06 pm

Smile

I have used 89 octane with no ill effects at all this summer. Moreover the sticker on the gas door says 89 Octane too .
The octane ratings have to do with pre-detonation (pinging) and nothing with power. The engine will run fine all day on 89 unless you want to run it at 7K rpm's all day. FWIW my 0.02 Ct's

post #4 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 7:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Joe, I would not be conerned with Premium fuel availability.
Buy the LT, you will love it for touring and distance trips.
The LT is the best bike I have owned to date but not because
it happens to be a BMW, but because I like to take it on trips
and it is Soooooooooo comfortable especicially with the back rest and j pegs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #5 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 7:38 pm

Mine runs fine on 87 octane as well... My local BMW shop mechanic runs his on 87 as well so I tried it and have yet to have any pinging even on days like today when it's 95+ degrees out.

It's worth the slight "lag" I almost never feel from leaving the Motronic in stock form.

For some reason I also get about 2 more MPG on the 87 than on the 91...

An added bonus.
post #6 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 7:58 pm

What I found during the hurricane insane gas stampede in Atlanta was that the most available fuel was premium.

I have not used 87 in my LT, but would use it in a pinch and not expect the bike to implode or explode or leave me by the side of the road.
post #7 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 8:00 pm

high octane

I run premium when I am going to be running in the mountains or riding fast. Day to day commuting I stick with the cheaper stuff...Doesnt seem to bother it.

Ron
post #8 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 8:29 pm

I use 89 octane 90% of the time. IMO, the LT can't tell the difference.
post #9 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 8:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ditto to what everyone else has said. In addition, my dealer told me (more than once) not to be concerned with using 91 octane because the flux capacitor (sorry, the term escapes me) has an anti-knock sensor (?) that will let you run OK w/87, 89, etc.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 9:08 pm

I use 91/93 high octane only because the quality of gas is so variable. "Mid-grade" is what is recommended for the LT and that's just fine if the timing is correct; but, based on a thread on the subject last year, it seems that timing isn't always set quite to specs. Mine pinged on high-test until checked and reset the timing last winter. It ran just fine on mid-grade and an occassional fill of regular in West Podunk, WV. Since gas prices have begun to climb I noticed several times a slight pinging. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but then you produce more gas at the lower rating levels from a barrel of crude at the refinery. Anyway, if you can't run on mid-grade, get the static timing checked.
post #11 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 9:09 pm

Someone may be able to correct me, but I don't think BMW uses a knock sensor. At least there is none on my '99.
post #12 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 9:11 pm

Someone may be able to correct me but, unfortunately, BMW does not use a knock sensor on the LT. At least, there is n one on my '99.
post #13 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 9:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Ditto to what everyone else has said. In addition, my dealer told me (more than once) not to be concerned with using 91 octane because the flux capacitor (sorry, the term escapes me) has an anti-knock sensor (?) that will let you run OK w/87, 89, etc.
That is NOT correct on the flying brick! I believe the new K12S/R has one, but *definitely* not on the K12LT/RS/GT. In fact, that's one reason the Motronic has the ignition retard map -- to automatically protect the engine from detonation when at low rpm, high demand, high air temp situations (i.e., because there's no knock sensor to tell the Moronic that retard isn't needed because it's not knocking).

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #14 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 9:18 pm

Here in the midwest premium fuel hasn't been scarce. I have always ran "Premium" 92-93 octane although I don't imagine the average rider would notice any lack in performance in a lower octane. For the few cents a gallon on a +/- 5 gallon fuel up, what's the difference? Go for the LT, you won't be sorry.
post #15 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 10:20 pm

Fuel

We were forced to use 87 octane in Old Mexico this spring because all stations do not have mid or premium grade. Had absolutely no problems. As others have mentioned, it should cause no problem as long as there is no pinging for an extended period of time.
post #16 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 10:45 pm

Here at 'altitude', you often can't even buy 93 premium. Highest test fuel available is usually 91. Has to do with the drop in partial pressure of oxygen at altitude. Not enough O2 to burn that stuff (volume being the same). Gas stations have 'compensated' by dropping the octane for fuel sold here.

Those 'in the know' say that even trying to burn the higher octane fuels at higher altitudes (7K+) is simply a waste of money.

I run 87 (mid range) with no problem at all. When going even higher, I intentional load up on regular (83 to 85 - depending on where you're at).

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #17 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 11:42 pm

Smile

If you are concerned about the octane rating you can always go to the hardware store or paint store and purchase a gallon or two of Toluol/Toluene. Toluene has excellent anti-detonation properties and will increase your octane rating. For example if you add one quart of Toluene to four gallons of 92 octane gasoline, your Octane will increase from 92 to 93.29.

The formula is : [(quarts Gas X 92) + (Quarts Toluene X 114)] / Quarts Gasoline + Quarts Toluene)
post #18 of 29 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 1:31 am
cws

Garage
Fuel ratings (& ethanol)... we've got a little discussion going on in Oz similar to this, are you guys talking about RON or MON when you quote fuel numbers (eg "I run 87 (mid range) with no problem at all")

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #19 of 29 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 4:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

and it seems like it would be very comfortable

Please consider riding one before you purchase it.

Ride it alone until you get use to the way it handles, especially at low speed.
You must keep the front wheel straight when comming to a stop.

Make sure you know how to put in reverse.

Bob
post #20 of 29 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 8:29 am Thread Starter

As I expected from spending some time reading messages from this website, you guys came through with a lot of good information. I live in Nebraska and am trying to finalize the answers to those last little nagging questions (must be the attorney in me) before I put the money on the counter for the LT. I have considered the touring Harley, and the goldwing, and within a few minutes have returned to the idea of the BMW.

What I like about this group is the pros and cons shared by experienced owners. I appreciate it more than you can imagine.

Maybe I will get this LT, put some riding time in, and then meet up with some fellow LT owners for a ride. Sounds like a good time.

Thanks!
Joe
post #21 of 29 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 4:00 pm

Smile

Hi Joe. In my '2000 LT I used Plus grade gas all the time and had no issues whatsoever. BTW; back in May I was in a very remote area of Canada and *had* to use regular grade gas for one tank-no problem; couldn't even tell a difference. I now ride an '05 LT and plan to continue using Plus grade. Hope this helps.
post #22 of 29 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 4:04 pm

Exclamation Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddvillarreal
After years on the sideline I have decided to begin riding again. The idea of cruising the country roads is very appealing. I don't want to race anywhere, rather I just want to enjoy the cruise. Two up riding is a likely scenario. After much thought, I have to give the nod to the BMW K1200LT because I love the way it looks and it seems like it would be very comfortable. I have concern about the use of premium only fuel because it seems like it might not be available in certain locations. What is BMW going to do about this if premium fuel becomes scarce. What are the thoughts out there? Your input as I make my final decision is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
I'm a fanatic about keeping up with my gas mileage. Why?? I dunno, I just do. I do notice that I get 3 to 4 miles per gallon on premium than I do on the plus grade.

YMMV!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #23 of 29 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 1:14 pm

Thumbs up

If you have an issue with the octane of the fuel all you have to do is go to your hardware store or paint store and purchase a gallon or two of TOLUOL or TOLUENE it has a octane rating od 114 and has excellent anti-detonation properties. As an example if you are running 92 octane pump gas and you want to boost the octane all you have to do is add one quart of TOLUENE to four gallons of the 92 octane pump gas and you will boost the octane of your blended fuel to 93.2 octane.
The formula to blend this octane booster is:
Quarts of gas X 92 plus quarts of Toluene X 114 divided by quarts of gas plus quarts of Toluene.

I used 92 for the gas octane in the formula but you would substitute that with the actual octane on the pump gas you are using. You can actually run up to 84 percent Toluene by volume if you wish for a fuel mixture.
post #24 of 29 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 1:32 pm

Paul said:
Quote:
I use 91/93 high octane only because the quality of gas is so variable. "Mid-grade" is what is recommended for the LT and that's just fine if the timing is correct...
In the UK, I've had many people tell me that 'Brand A is better than Brand B' (substitute your favourite and disliked names for A & B ) but I don't know how they arrive at that conclusion.

My house in the UK is about 15 miles from a regional fuel depot. If you go there, you'll see Shell, Esso, BP, Q8, Jet and all the other tankers all filling up ... from the same filling point.

Unless the tankers themselves have the oil industry's equivalent of a philosopher's stone in the filling system, they all contain the same fuel (different filling points do give different octane ratings, though.)

What does seem to make a difference though, is when the tanks at the gas station were last refilled. If you fill your gas tank shortly after the station has had its tanks refilled, you stand a fair chance of getting a sample of the crud which had previously been sitting on the bottom of the station's tank.

I use mid-grade (95 RON) (91RMA?) and the bike seems quite happy at any speeds. I thought the Motronic unit was supposed to adjust the timing and it was calibrated assuming mid-grade fuel? (Or is its main purpose to throw out a cloud of black smoke if you open the throttle quickly?)
post #25 of 29 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Re: Final Decisions

Joe,

I think you will enjoy the LT. If you in to cruising it is an ideal machine. Unfortunately, it is not the best for in town use but is quite capable. I have ridden 20,000+ miles in the past 2 1/2 years and am quite comfortable with the machine in both environments.
post #26 of 29 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 3:10 pm

It says it wants preimum, but it really doesn't matter. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Since the LT has a higher compression than most engines, it may run better on high octane gas, but it's NOT required. I usually use 87. Almost 40k on the odo
post #27 of 29 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 3:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I think you will find more issues trying to run the "oxygenated fuels" as opposed to lower octane fuels. While I have not experienced it myself, many others on here have spoken of poor mileage and/or performance with the oxygenated fuels. The bottom line is that if you put low octane fuel in the cycle and you don't hear it ping under your riding conditions then you can keep doing it. It's probably only a concern under extreme conditions.

post #28 of 29 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 8:13 pm

Several trips to the outback of Montana we found a lack of mid range. Never were without premium.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #29 of 29 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 8:19 am

i was down to a half a tank last weekend a buddy of mine were in chillicothe he wanted to top his 92 flts up with cam two racing gas (i quess so he could keep up with me)and he did i did 2 you talk about bring a buke 2 life front wheel off the ground between 3-4 gear ok to do 1st but think i'll stick 2 regular gas cause its 6.25 a gallon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in