Headlight stays on after ignition is off - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 11:51 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Headlight stays on after ignition is off

Actually, the little parking lamp bulb is on when I start the bike. Before I start the bike, after ignition (key) is switched on, the headlamp low beam is on. I start the bike, headlamp low beam goes off, and the little parking lamp bulb at very front of headlight housing is lit while bike is running. I turn the key to off position, the low beam cuts on and stays on, even when key is completely removed. I did have a very weak, low battery-before this, so when I tried to start bike it turned over a coupla times then seemed to stick after another half turn of the crank. I have since read on this forum about the sticking starter relay on k1200lt's when the battery is weak. Apparently this is what occured; sure do wish I had disconnected the ground terminal RIGHT AFTER this occured. Battery wouldn't take a charge from 2 amp charger the next day, so I got a new Odyssy PC 680 through mail order. Got the starter relay unstuck, but now the headlight malady. After reading several posts on this forum, I believe it's 1) bad load shedding relay 2) faulty ignition switch, or 3) bad headlight relay.
I downloaded the BMW K1200lt service manual from a website, is the load shedding relay listed as "relief relay" in the BMW service manual? Should I replace the starter relay to minimize the likelyhood of it sticking again? Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 12:02 pm

Re: Headlight stays on after ignition is off

Jerry, the gurus who will be on here shortly would like to know the model year of your LT. Hope they get your situation fixed with minimum fuss and stress. Stay tuned.
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

2002 K1200lt

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 12:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There is no headlight relay (other than the load shed relay which removes power with the key on) so on this one I have to say bad ignition switch. Unless some one has done some modifications from stock.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

Hooked up the battery ground terminal a while ago; heard two beeps meaning the factory bike alarm was activated. I turned alarm off from key fob. Started up the bike, small "park lamp" bulb was lit, no low beam though. Went for brief ride around the neighborhood, got back and shut the bike off. Now, no low beam function at all, high beam works correctly, activated from left handlebar switch. So . . . . turn the ignition on, parking bulb in front headlight comes on and stays on after bike is started, no low beam comes on at any time. When bike is off and key is turned off, parking lamp turns off as well; it does come on when key is turned all the way counterclockwise to "parking lamp" position. Maybe it's not the load shedding relay; could be headlight relay needs replacement. Am looking to have correct parts on hand before I dismantle bike to get to the relays. At least can ride during the day now, with high beam switched on.
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 12:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

OK now you have NO low beam at all? Then I would replace the burned out bulb. If the bulb is not burned out then look at the brown wires at the lamp connector for corrosion. They are known to degrade over time.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Posted my previous reply before I saw izieller's post. Thought I saw headlamp relay listed in the BMW manual, maybe this is for earlier year bike than I have. When I downloaded the service manual, it said 99-2003 I believe. In the front pages looks like it was published in 99, so I may not have correct info.
post #8 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

Will check the bulb and wiring connections next. Thanks for the help.
Also, no mods to the bike other than Ohlins shocks & springs front and rear, and the bike came with PIAA lights attached to lower fork legs. 2002 model, I purchased it in Dec. 2008.

Last edited by fanz235; Apr 27th, 2012 at 12:52 pm.
post #9 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 1:13 pm

When I replaced my battery I had the same thing happen. Have you replaced your battery? I had missed putting a terminal back on the battery. The previous owner had installed an HID headlight and I suspected the unconnected or misconnected wire went to a relay for the HID. The "little" bulb will be it when the bike is in "P" park and when running. You never know......

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #10 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 4:31 pm

You have a relay under your tank that is bad. It happened to me and took a while to run the wiring from the headlight to the relay to check everything. I bought a replacement from auto zone, the dealer wanted $40 and autozone was $12.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #11 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 5:10 pm
Just ridin'

If it has stock incandescent lighting...

The high and low beams both are powered through the load shed relay, so like John said, it will likely be either a burned out bulb or bad ground connections in the headlight. An easy thing to remember is that ground on a BMW is always solid brown.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #12 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 6:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

is the load shedding relay listed as "relief relay? just checking .Thanks Jim
post #13 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 7:16 pm

There is a couple of relays in there that are the same, it is one of those.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #14 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 10:15 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Load shed and relief are one in the same but it interupts heavy loads during starting. Head lights and most accessories wired to a switched load will also be off if that is malfunctioning. One side of that relay has 12v on it and the other side is a ground through the starter. When you hit the starter then both side of the relay get 12v and the relay opens until the starter stops moving and provides the ground again closing the relief relay contacts.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in