New Cee Bailey info needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Apr 26th, 2012, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

New Cee Bailey info needed

I've pretty well made up my mind to purchase an new Cee Bailey windscreen. I am 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I think I want the #2 -4 light gray tint with wings. I'm sure in order to give my wife maximum wind protection I will have the WS up when she in on board.

Do I need to be concerned about distortion with the #2?

What about the gray tint with the WS up at night? Is it too dark?

What do you like or dislike about the wings?

Euro cut vs standard cut..... likes and dislikes

Thanks in advance for your input!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Apr 26th, 2012, 7:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: New Cee Bailey info needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey
If you are concerned about the tint at night, get the clear one and augment daytime riding with Sun glasses.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 18 Old Apr 26th, 2012, 8:22 pm

I have the #2 -4 with wings euro cut.absolutely no distortion.I got nailed with a fist sized rock right after I installed it about 4 years ago. Put a little ding in it that hasn't changed a bit.
I'm in Mn. so the wings are nice,might rethink them if I was in a warmer area.

Jeff Bokusky

Shoreview ,Mn.

2001 K1200LT ---
1973 Harley FLH 96 c.i.
1948 Harley EL 88 c.i.
1985 kawasaki KX250
1993 honda XR 200--
1978 Triumph Bonneville

post #4 of 18 Old Apr 26th, 2012, 8:31 pm

I've been running the Cee Bailey for many years, and love them. The light gray tint is the way to go, just enough tint, had not been a problem at night. My first was ordered with the wings, had them cut off at the factory, just to much air to push if you were moving and attempted ot raise the windshield. Bird strikes and rocks don't bother it, and garage door frame wins every time. Money well spent

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,

CMTO 8 yrs

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
post #5 of 18 Old Apr 26th, 2012, 8:46 pm

My bike came with the Hyperflow model so this may not be completely pertinent, however it is the light smoke tint and at night I HATE it. It does nothing in the day time to help with glare and at night it adds one more level of risk to the equation that I do not like. The only reasons it is still on the bike are: 1. I am too dang cheap, 2. I can retract it down at night and easily see over the top as it is the short sporty one (which makes the woman fairly unhappy). If not for those two I would have already replaced it.

My next investment in the bike will be a clear windshield, probably the #2 (w/o wings in AZ) or a V Stream. As far as optical clarity and distortion, none that I can perceive, excellent optics except for the tint so since it is a more complex compound curve than the #2 I would see no reason to fret about the optical clarity.

Since you are in the frozen tundra it is wise of you to want the wing extensions, I would also recommend the Euro cut as it will give you more upper body coverage and the added benefit of looking over the top, maybe even when adjust for the wifey.

Bottom line: get clear, light smoke is pointless and distracting and don't worry about clarity.
post #6 of 18 Old Apr 26th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Quote:
I've pretty well made up my mind to purchase an new Cee Bailey windscreen. I am 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I think I want the #2 -4 light gray tint with wings. I'm sure in order to give my wife maximum wind protection I will have the WS up when she in on board.

David,

We've had 2 different Cee Bailey #2 w/wings on 2 LTs, for over 6 years and 125k miles. My wife and I like them very much. We tried a a Vstream; it didn't work for us. We realize the "wings" option probably keeps more air off of us, but we're happy to trade that for the quieter ride it provides.

Distortion is not an issue. The only distortion I have seen on either CB #2 is way down low, in the middle of the screen, where the "bump" is. It is so low that it could never be in your line of sight unless you had the screen all the way up and you slouched way down to intentionally try to look through that part of the screen.

I have no experience with a tinted windscreen, but I would like to try a lightly-tinted model. I think they look nice - purely subjective, of course. At your height and with a -4" windscreen, I don't think the tint is going to be a problem because you may not have much material to look through. If you can, borrow a CB screen from someone and spend some time with it on your bike.

We've had the standard cut on both Cee Baileys. No experience with the Euro cut.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 18 Old Apr 26th, 2012, 9:26 pm

I have the CB tinted -2... you can barely tell that it is tinted when riding... or at least I cannot.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 18 Old May 18th, 2012, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

An update on my new windscreen.

I just put the new CB on. My concern is that it doesn't fit properly in that it won't go all the way down without hitting the tupperware on the right side. I have to pull it in about a 1/4 inch or a little more for it to fit and go down. I guess I'll have to call them monday to see what they say.

As of now I've only ridden around the block and I think it could have been a little shorter, also the Euro cut on the top isn't very pronounced like I thought it would be.

The light gray is very light and no problem to see thru.

I'll be riding several hundred miles tomorrow and giving it a good test.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #9 of 18 Old May 18th, 2012, 10:59 pm

Quote:
An update on my new windscreen.

I just put the new CB on. My concern is that it doesn't fit properly in that it won't go all the way down without hitting the tupperware on the right side. I have to pull it in about a 1/4 inch or a little more for it to fit and go down. I guess I'll have to call them monday to see what they say...
Now THAT is interesting. The CB windscreen I bought 2-3 months ago did the same thing - the windscreen impacted the left side of the bike (left side, as you're sitting on the seat); it put a couple of big gouges in the painted front panel before I took a Dremel to it and ground away some of the windscreen material in order to make it tuck in below the body panel. I called CB about it; they sent me a new windscreen and told me to pitch the old one... but the damage is already done. Good service from CB, but I have to apply some touch up paint or something to the LT.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 18 Old May 19th, 2012, 4:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Now THAT is interesting. The CB windscreen I bought 2-3 months ago did the same thing - the windscreen impacted the left side of the bike (left side, as you're sitting on the seat); it put a couple of big gouges in the painted front panel before I took a Dremel to it and ground away some of the windscreen material in order to make it tuck in below the body panel. I called CB about it; they sent me a new windscreen and told me to pitch the old one... but the damage is already done. Good service from CB, but I have to apply some touch up paint or something to the LT.

things that make you go huh?

I'll call them Monday.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #11 of 18 Old May 20th, 2012, 3:19 am

Quote:

I put a lighlty tinted screen on mine and even though I live with it I would not go for tinted screen again.
OK for a sport bike screen that you look over but not ona bike like a K1200LT where you look through the screen.
post #12 of 18 Old May 20th, 2012, 5:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport
I put a lighlty tinted screen on mine and even though I live with it I would not go for tinted screen again.
OK for a sport bike screen that you look over but not ona bike like a K1200LT where you look through the screen.

The tint of the light grey is very light, hardly noticeable. No problem looking thru even at night.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #13 of 18 Old May 20th, 2012, 10:30 am

Quote:
The tint of the light grey is very light, hardly noticeable. No problem looking thru even at night.
+1

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #14 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2012, 2:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler

I've finally been in contact with CB. They want me to send the windscreen back to them and they will either fix it or send me a new one. I don't think that is fair for me to have to go without a windscreen for that amount of time.

I think they should send me a new one. I would send this one back if they insist.

Am I being unreasonable??

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #15 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2012, 3:08 pm

I am 5'9", and have the -4 with wings, and tinted. I like the windscreen alot and it is perfect for me. My wife would prefer a little more protection, and because of that, I am considering a -3, again with wings. Mine is tinted, and I will echo posts above. You can barely tell it is tinted, which is why if I get another one, I won't spend the extra money for the tint. It is so light, it hardly is worth it-- my opinion only!!!!
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 5th, 2012, 3:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
My bike came with the Hyperflow model so this may not be completely pertinent, however it is the light smoke tint and at night I HATE it. It does nothing in the day time to help with glare and at night it adds one more level of risk to the equation that I do not like. The only reasons it is still on the bike are: 1. I am too dang cheap, 2. I can retract it down at night and easily see over the top as it is the short sporty one (which makes the woman fairly unhappy). If not for those two I would have already replaced it.

My next investment in the bike will be a clear windshield, probably the #2 (w/o wings in AZ) or a V Stream. As far as optical clarity and distortion, none that I can perceive, excellent optics except for the tint so since it is a more complex compound curve than the #2 I would see no reason to fret about the optical clarity.

Since you are in the frozen tundra it is wise of you to want the wing extensions, I would also recommend the Euro cut as it will give you more upper body coverage and the added benefit of looking over the top, maybe even when adjust for the wifey.

Bottom line: get clear, light smoke is pointless and distracting and don't worry about clarity.
Hey happy Birthday, Love the clear hyper flow, mine was clear but a bit too tall. I switched to the V Stream Sport so I could look over. Much better. Recommend that for you in AZ. Love riding in AZ spring and fall.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #17 of 18 Old Jun 6th, 2012, 3:18 pm Thread Starter

I finally was able to talk to someone at CB who was very reasonable. I'm very very happy with the level of customer service and support I got today.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #18 of 18 Old Jun 10th, 2012, 6:52 am

I tried the #2 when it came out, but in the tall version as I am 6'4" and have long torso. It just didn't work for me and at 70+ mph the extra flip put so much pressure on the lift mechanism, I could not raise the shield.

I have a prototype of the #1 but in the tallest they made. I have used CB on RT also and found that the quietest windshield is one that is close to my helmet. There is less space for the wind to collapse in there. This is done by getting the tallest windshield and not raising it a lot- maybe 30-40%. The air comes off it smooth, the aerodynamics are better, and it is quieter. Much less buffeting to me and wife.

Now have the #1 with Wings- Wings are important and work..!

Tint- No Ting- your choice, but I like no tint. Yet I do not look through it except when it is raining buckets.

One way CB and I determined this height was to tape cardboard onto the stock windshield to raise the top very high. Go for a long ride with scissors...Cut it down till you like it, and that is your height- no guessing.

As to the reference of hitting the body work. The prototype did also. I thought they corrected that. The simple-quick cure is to remove the windshield, put blue painter's tape on it- draw a new line(outline) and cut it down to that point.

Mine didn't need too much, maybe 1/4" so I used a Dremel tool with cutting bit and then sanding drum to take it down. The polished it out with the Dremel and then some 320 wet/dry sand paper. No issues.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in