Connectors under the lid... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 4:29 pm Thread Starter

Connectors under the lid...

My intercom/radio went dead again. This is the fourth time since I bought it in 2/2003. Previous times it has been one of the connectors under the lid. BMW dealer in Escondido uses electrical tape to make sure they stay together. The last time they used the tape and we took it off and couldn't find a problem ... put it back together and it worked. That was at least 6 months ago. Now with the rain we are having I'm wondering if it is just poor connections again. When I worked for the Navy many years ago we used a dielectric grease to keep this from happening. So is there a better way to do this now? Have anyone of you guys had this problem also? Retiring in 12 days and was planning on taking a short trip immediately. Looks like I may have to spend a day "playing" in my garage before I can leave ...

Michael L. Lempenau
85/41 Moo7, T.Nongjom, A.Sunsai
Chiang Mai, 50210, Thailand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 5:21 pm Thread Starter

Connectors under the lid ...

Any specific one better than others??? Any other thing you do under there I should know about??

Michael L. Lempenau
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 5:52 pm Thread Starter

Connectors under the lid...

Thanks for the help. I'm glad I can do this after I retire and not have to be under the gun to get it done. Hope we meet on the road one of these days.

Michael L. Lempenau

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 10:19 pm

If you want to buy dielectric grease in slightly larger quantities you can pick up a tube from your local Honda dealer. As Dave said, the packets and occasionally larger tubes, are available at most auto parts stores.
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 11:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlempenau
Any specific one better than others??? Any other thing you do under there I should know about??
It's common name is "Dielectric Grease", it's more technical name is "Dielectric Silicone Compound". I go through the stuff like water. Basically, I put it on EVERY connection I see as I'm working on either of my bikes. No particular brand...I just grab a tube at the auto parts store when I'm running low. Napa carries AGS brand. Looks, smells, and tastes like all the others.

Goes great with a little Locktite chaser.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in