FNG (F'ing New Guy) Looking to Buy K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

FNG (F'ing New Guy) Looking to Buy K1200LT

Hello all. New to the forums.

Looking at buying a 1999 K1200LT, w/ 40,000 miles. This will be my first touring bike. Sport bikes and dual sports for previous bikes.

Overall bike looks to be in good shape. Some minor things are missing cap to coolant over flow bottle and rear speakers "crackle" time to time.

Anything I should look for or be cautious about?

He did say there is a "hickup" in shifting between 1st and 2nd on occasion, (not all the time). Could be rider induced.. Kind of like missing a gear or a "half" shift. I ride dirt bikes and quards and this can be a some what common thing with them. Again, could be rider error.

The shifting thing concerned me due to the fact that he pulls a trailer with the bike (trailer also included in the sell)

I have read there is or has been problems with the rear drive failing.

Any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated.........

Last edited by UnKnownRider; Apr 25th, 2012 at 9:37 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Re: FNG (F'ing New Guy) Looking to Buy K1200LT

Welcome to the forum, see if there is any play in the rear wheel or leakage around the final drive, that may be an indicator of an FD failure. My understanding is that FD failures are about 5%-ish, some of the guys might be able to correct me so don't stress over it, it's fairly rare.

Make sure the ABS works, take a look through the sight glass on the brake reservoirs (on right hand grip and open right saddlebag there is a little window). If the fluid looks clean the guy has taken care of his bike - at least one of the more sensitive components. When you get on the bike for a ride and roll about the first 10 feet you should hear a sound like a latch engaging and the ABS lights should go off, they will flash until you start moving.

The shift hiccup could be an indication that the shift linkage may be going bad, don't know much about this particular issue but I know that it is out there. Again, some of the other guys might chime in on that or do a little searching on the site.

Finally, do some homework on your own and visit the halls of wisdom. Make sure it looks like it is well cared for and the guy seems reasonable trustworthy of course, and make sure the tires are good, and not too old (last 4 digits of DOT# indicate week and year of manufacture). The rear should also have 'REINF' or 'REINFORCED" on the sidewall. Tires are a bit pricey for these beasts so if they need replacing make sure you nudge him down on the price to compensate.

Be ready for the weight but not afraid, and be ready to fall in love with it the second you pull away on that first ride.

Edit: Can you link the ad for the bike and or pictures?
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 10:35 pm

At first the switches for the turn signals will drive you nuts...latter you will like it.
The throttle pull will bother you,it does most and someday the update will happen.
I miss second now and then..no big deal.
Make sure you pull up to the left side of pumps for gas and I hope your door for the cap works better then mine...you really should lock the cap unless you do the mod.
Another thing strange at first is that the front wont dive down stops..you will like that also once you get used to it.
Once you get used to everything it will be hard to wipe that smile off your face!

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 26th, 2012, 8:02 am

One thing I would check carefully is clutch slippage. It's easy to fry the clutch with aggressive starts, so if it's starting to slip it's just a small amount of time before complete failure. That's a $1,800 service...don't ask me how I know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Just for F'ing giggles, how much is the seller asking for the bike -- it may be to your advantage to upgrade to an 05 model as there a significant # of upgrades to the bike. Plus, the depreciation from one year to the next is also something you should consider.

Additionally, how log has this owner had the LT and what type of maintenance items were done, i.e., fluids, filters, etc.

Glenn
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 8:54 pm

99 does not have integral brakes. so you will not hear the AbS sound. This is a good thing as per most reviews here. Integral brakes are painful to maintain.

What everyone is telling you here is the extreme. You might face one of these issues in over5 to 10 years.

The riding and handling of most years is the same. I believe 05 upwards have slightly higher HP but at the expense of slight MPG. I would love to have the electric center stand from the newer years tough.

I face the issue shifting to second as well. But this issue goes away once I start riding at higher RPM

Get the bike and start riding. Its waiting for you. The only problem you need to worry is that you wont like to ride anything else after riding the LT for a few weeks.

1996 Kinetic Pride 75cc - First motorized cycle at age 16.
2002 Yamaha Enticer 125cc - First brand new cycle bought from the first salary at age 20.
1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in