The reason I ask I because things change.. Radial Tire Pressure - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 6:59 am Thread Starter

The reason I ask is because things change.. Radial Tire Pressure

Things like tires and opinions change over the years and I cant seem to find recent posts on this subject
I need a recommended tire pressure for the LT using Avon Storm 2 Ultras. I have not used radials before and older posts vary wildly on this subject. I am used to the Metz 48/42 for a cold pressure but cant find a consensus for the Avons. I am most likely just over the 200lb mark fully suited up and with my wife and I am sure we are nearing 400 with gear and her lip gloss. Would love to hear from Uncle Mark on the subject since he changes tires as often as I change pants, but welcome any and all suggestions!
There is a lot of (past) talk about "target pressure" but where do you start to get to it? I do not have any new fangled TPMS. My tires are going on today since my 1yr old metz's are showing cords.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 14wntr; Apr 25th, 2012 at 9:38 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 7:27 am

Re: The reason I ask I because things change.. Radial Tire Pressure

Is that rear tyre (tire) actually manufactured for the K1200LT ? This seems to be a departure from the strongly recommended bias ply REINFORCED rear tyre, so I am reluctant to offer any opinion until it can be confirmed that this tyre is specifically manufactured to withstand the weight of a fully laden LT. If that tyre fails prematurely or under duress, the passenger won't be worrying about lip gloss, I'll give you the tip !

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 8:23 am

I have the Avon Storms on my bike and like them,the rear is load rated 79v same as the ME880 Metzeler ,I found a recommendation of running 48psi but found that the rear felt a bit harsh and now run around 42psi,should I be running the higher pressure?

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 8:27 am Thread Starter

The weight issue was formost in my decision along with traction. 79v is good enough for me.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #5 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 10:25 am

I run both my front and rear at the max cold tire pressure of 42. Have had no issues and tires seem to perform well for me

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 11:36 am

This is what I've learned thru talking to the tire manufactures. Use the "10%" rule.
Start at 42 front and 42 rear, which is stamped on the Avons, go for a "normal" ride, enough to get the tires up to temp. When you stop, check the pressures immediately. You should have raised the pressures by 10%. If you are low % you have too much air, too high % too low. Add or lose a little and try again the next day. You would be surprised how much difference 1 or 2 lbs can make. Worked for me for the last 25 yrs. the first 15 I was just a baby biker still learning,and almost all brands of tires on different bikes.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 11:41 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

+1 on what Zeke says!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 12:05 pm Thread Starter

Re: The reason I ask is because things change.. Radial Tire Pressure

So the "target" is 10% increase once the tires are warmed up, correct? That would put it up around 46.2 psi warm?

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #9 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 12:53 pm

I shoot for a target pressure...

If I am in wet/cold conditions, my target is lower. Lower pressure creates a somewhat wider contact patch and makes the grooves in the tires expel water more efficiently. Lower pressures in a radial tire tends to create heat and you need that tire heat to help with grip. Remember that radials create and shed heat more quickly than Bias-ply

If I am in curvy/dry conditions, my target pressure is a bit higher.

So here's the target pressures I shoot for when I have Avon's running:

Wet / Cold conditions (UNLOADED): Cold: 38f/43r Target: 44f/48r
Wet / Cold conditions (LOADED): Cold: 40f/44r Target: 46f/50r
REMEMBER: Get these tires as warm as possible before you try and drag your kneecaps.

Dry / Curvy conditions (UNLOADED): Cold: 42f/46r Target: 47f/52r
Dry / Curvy conditions (LOADED): Cold: 44f/47r Target: 48f/54r
REMEMBER: To much pressure and excessive heat can destroy a tire, especially these radials.

These numbers will change when I go to a Bridgy and/or Metz...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #10 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 2:37 pm

I have the Storm Ultra 2's on my bike and now have about 2,100 miles on them and have been running 42/48 cold since I got them. They hardly even look worn at all. I weigh about 240 and I know that with my wife I'm close to a total of 400 lbs of riders.

With the rear at that pressure I do notice a little harshness in feedback from the road. I may try lowering that pressure to 46 to see how that feels.

Troy

2001 K1200LT-I
75,000+ miles
Grip Puppies
RAM mount for iPhone
RAM mount cupholder
DODK64 Floorboards (driver & passenger)
Alaska Leathers Sheepskin covers
Avon Storm II Ultras
ScalaRider G4 Powerset
NGK Iridium IX DCPR7EIX spark plugs
Spiegler SS Brake lines (fronts only installed so far)
Creative Concepts extended rear brake pedal
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Re: The reason I ask is because things change.. Radial Tire Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr
So the "target" is 10% increase once the tires are warmed up, correct? That would put it up around 46.2 psi warm?

You are correct. Just remember to do your regular rides nothing out of the norm. It takes a little while, but it all works out.If you have big extremes in temp where you live you will have to recheck at that temp. But it may change only a lb a little. In Fl. I just leave it at 42 and 44 rear.

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #12 of 13 Old Apr 26th, 2012, 5:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
I shoot for a target pressure...

If I am in wet/cold conditions, my target is lower. Lower pressure creates a somewhat wider contact patch and makes the grooves in the tires expel water more efficiently. Lower pressures in a radial tire tends to create heat and you need that tire heat to help with grip. Remember that radials create and shed heat more quickly than Bias-ply

If I am in curvy/dry conditions, my target pressure is a bit higher.

So here's the target pressures I shoot for when I have Avon's running:

Wet / Cold conditions (UNLOADED): Cold: 38f/43r Target: 44f/48r
Wet / Cold conditions (LOADED): Cold: 40f/44r Target: 46f/50r
REMEMBER: Get these tires as warm as possible before you try and drag your kneecaps.

Dry / Curvy conditions (UNLOADED): Cold: 42f/46r Target: 47f/52r
Dry / Curvy conditions (LOADED): Cold: 44f/47r Target: 48f/54r
REMEMBER: To much pressure and excessive heat can destroy a tire, especially these radials.

These numbers will change when I go to a Bridgy and/or Metz...
What about in the superslab condition, any different? Living in Illinois with only 3 known curves a lot of time is spent on a highway getting to the corners.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #13 of 13 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr
What about in the superslab condition, any different? Living in Illinois with only 3 known curves a lot of time is spent on a highway getting to the corners.
Good question....

Loooong stretches??? Use Metzlers... IMHO, these are the shoes I put on when I am heading out on long lazy stretches and not pushing hard into corners. In November, when I head for the Formula One race in Austin, TX, I'll have a set on. That El Paso to God's Country run is not too twisty... or colorful???

If you have long D's to get to the corners, then Bridgy makes a good all around Bias-ply. Not as grippy in wet and they do tend to get harder to pushover into a turn when worn. But they have been good to me for over 7 sets.

Here on the left coast, I got twisties right out the front door... and altitudes still white with snow (and resultant run-off)... It's Avon's for me right now.

If you can find a guy local that changes M/C tires, have a dual mode set. One for the long slabs and one for the wet and twisty. When I ride a lot, I change my tires at least three times a year. Each set requires an adjustment in cold pressure for the tire and the ride. Somewhere in this mess is an old post about pressure targets I try and reach on each type of tire... at work now or I'd try and find my doc's as to my current target settings for each tire type. <sigh>

Ride safe....

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in