Hesitation, cutting the brown wire question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 1:39 pm Thread Starter

Hesitation, cutting the brown wire question

I have a 02 K1200LT that hesitates like so many others do and I saw posts saying to cut the brown wire under the seat to get rid of throttle hesitation. I saw posts saying cutting the brown wire will cause poor gas mileage, must run high octane gas and some other possible problems and was wondering if someone could help me understand the pros & cons here?

Thanks, Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 2:05 pm

Doug,

I don't know of cutting the brown wire causing any problems. I have always used premium in mine because that's what the book recommended.

If you are concerned, cut it and put an alligator clip on both cut ends so that you can reattach them if need be.

Keith
post #3 of 25 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 2:18 pm

I cut mine and put a small Rat Shack switch in the odments box and turn it on and off, depending on the temperature.

Ray West
Brentwood, TN
1993 & 2011 Harleys
IBA
Sold my BMW

post #4 of 25 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 3:02 pm

The brown wire is an electronic path to a retarded ignition map. Similar to the VOES in Harleys. The purpose is to retard the ignition under low RPM/heavy load conditions. It prevents pinging. Low speed combined with high temperature causes the BMW to retard the ignition also, & it uses the brown lead to do it. Cutting the lead prevents the ignition from retarding, so you should use a higher grade of gas to help prevent pinging, & keep the RPM's higher. Of course keeping the RPM's higher will also prevent the stalling. It's just that with the wire cut you don't *have* to remember to keep the RPM's up.
Your gas milage won't suffer much, but your riding will be more comfortable. Lots of us have done it with no ill effects.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #5 of 25 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 3:03 pm

Brown wire

I have an 2002 also and hesitated cutting any wire on such a well engineered bike.
Living in Florida I had to deal with the hesitation quite a bit.
I have always run premium in all my bikes.
I finally got up enough courage to cut the wire:
There was an immediate improvement in the way my bike ran, should have done it a long time ago.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 25 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 3:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raywest
I cut mine and put a small Rat Shack switch in the odments box and turn it on and off, depending on the temperature.
When do you turn it on, hot or cold? I don't even know what the brown wire goes to.
post #7 of 25 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 3:25 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
In the upper left corner there is Technical link. Under that is K1200LT Info:FAQ. Click on that, then scan through the topics or just search there for brown wire or hesitation. That will bring up lots of useful info.

And for the record, both ignition maps are stored in the Motronic. If the brown wire is intact, then a certain pin is grounded, and the standard map is used. If the wire is cut, then that pin is floating, and the secondary map is used. It's fairly safe, just make sure you cut the correct wire.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 25 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 4:39 pm

I installed a switch on mine too. Just make sure (for all you switch users out there) that you only change the position of the switch when the bike is OFF. Not that you will hurt anything, per se, but if i understand it correctly...toggling the switch with the bike running does NOTHING. The bike needs turned OFF then back ON for the remapping to occur.
post #9 of 25 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 5:00 pm

Will clipping the brown effect the chip and pipe if one has that installed? Me too live in Florida and deal with hestiation?
post #10 of 25 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 6:06 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by damenke
I have a 02 K1200LT that hesitates like so many others do and I saw posts saying to cut the brown wire under the seat to get rid of throttle hesitation. I saw posts saying cutting the brown wire will cause poor gas mileage, must run high octane gas and some other possible problems and was wondering if someone could help me understand the pros & cons here?

Thanks, Doug
I live in the Dallas TX area and cut the brown wire about a year ago. I feel that it has improved cold startup hesitation. I guess that I never felt that it was all that bad to begin with, but did it anyway. As far as the gas mileage go, I swear that it is somewhere between the same and better than it was before the cut. I generally check the mileage everytime I fill up with super and have been getting anywhere from 40 to 47 mpg. To me, it was a no lose proposition - just cut it. You can always solder it back together if you want to, but you won't!
post #11 of 25 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 7:28 am

Brown Wire Vasectomy

New brick rider here. Just did the 24k service and started getting hesitation when temps rose above the 90 deg. mark. I researched the "brown wire" issue. So I took the plunge... against logic, closed my eyes and cut! Wow!! Instantly a new animal. No hesitation, better mileage and "feels" more responsive. My wife even noticed the difference (I didn't dare tell her what I had done ). I don't know if it makes a difference or not (probably not) but just for the fact that the '03 was used and that I hadn't done it before, I reset the computer by removing the battery for 30 minutes. So far I HIGHLY recommend gettin' snipped!

Mike Cox
Grundy, VA

'03 Anthracite

Stay Safe
post #12 of 25 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 9:26 am

I have a 02. Cut the brown wire just days after I bought it new. I run 93 octane in it. It runs great. Mileage is in the upper 40's.
post #13 of 25 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 10:35 am

Brown wire

I gave my '03 Boston Blackie a brown wireectomy Thursday. It runs great now! Thanks for the info. These sites are great.......

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #14 of 25 Old Jul 14th, 2007, 12:43 pm

Thumbs up

Mike, be sure to reset your throttle sensor after disconnecting the battery:

- Turn ignition ON but do not start the engine.
- Open throttle wide open, close throttle, open throttle wide open again, close throttle.
- Turn ignition OFF.
- Turn ignition ON and this time start the engine. You are ready to go for a ride. At first the engine may stall when idling, but this will go away and the bike will run smoother after a few miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecox142
New brick rider here. Just did the 24k service and started getting hesitation when temps rose above the 90 deg. mark. I researched the "brown wire" issue. So I took the plunge... against logic, closed my eyes and cut! Wow!! Instantly a new animal. No hesitation, better mileage and "feels" more responsive. My wife even noticed the difference (I didn't dare tell her what I had done ). I don't know if it makes a difference or not (probably not) but just for the fact that the '03 was used and that I hadn't done it before, I reset the computer by removing the battery for 30 minutes. So far I HIGHLY recommend gettin' snipped!

Mike Cox
Grundy, VA

'03 Anthracite

Stay Safe

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #15 of 25 Old Aug 20th, 2007, 11:08 pm

Hi All,

I recently bought an 03 with approx 40K miles.
I am experiencing this issue, saw your threads and then popped the seat.
Anyone have a picture showing which brown wire and where to cut?

thanks,
Tom
post #16 of 25 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 9:33 am

Welcome to the forum Tom.

You must be "digging deep" to find this thread from 2005

When you lift the riders seat look along the rear of the right side frame rail
for the wiring harness with a short brown "loop" sticking out of it,
mine was actually under the harness, its the only brown loop,
just cut it and take the LT for a ride you'll be glad you did.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #17 of 25 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:14 am

I owned my new 02 for only 1 month before I cut the wire. I use 93 and it runs great. I get about 45 to 50 mpg on the highway.
post #18 of 25 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:43 am

It's that little brown wire on the left with the white switch wires going to it, NOT the heavy brown wire on the right............................................. ..............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00402.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	13860  

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #19 of 25 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfaludyjr
Hi All,

I recently bought an 03 with approx 40K miles.
I am experiencing this issue, saw your threads and then popped the seat.
Anyone have a picture showing which brown wire and where to cut?

thanks,
Tom
In this pic you can see the battery neg terminal in the foreground. This is looking from the left side of the bike toward the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brownwire.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	13862  

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #20 of 25 Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 7:27 am

Well, finally plucked up the courage and snipped mine, although its too cold/windy/wet to go for a ride right now....my bike is a 2001 model with a manufacture date of 07/00 (according to the VIN) but it did have the brown loop.....will have to see how it goes...it started fine (as it had done a few minutes earlier with the loop intact).

I have had a couple of times where there's been some noticeable hesitation so will be interesting to see what this does to it.

Marc

"...if at first you don't succeed, then skydiving probably isn't the sport for you..."
post #21 of 25 Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:15 am
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by decompressing
Well, finally plucked up the courage and snipped mine, although its too cold/windy/wet to go for a ride right now....my bike is a 2001 model with a manufacture date of 07/00 (according to the VIN) but it did have the brown loop.....will have to see how it goes...it started fine (as it had done a few minutes earlier with the loop intact).

I have had a couple of times where there's been some noticeable hesitation so will be interesting to see what this does to it.

Marc
For those of you that don't have the brown wire loop (99-01, and some 02) You can always just disconnect the air temp sensor in the air box right above the left radiator. That does the same thing, it prevents the system from retarding the timing, and I ran my 01 for 3 years (until it's untimely death, 65kmiles) without any negative impact.
post #22 of 25 Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eotiii
I have a 02. Cut the brown wire just days after I bought it new. I run 93 octane in it. It runs great. Mileage is in the upper 40's.
Notes out of the Service bulletin:

July,2 001
Subject: K 1200 LT,delayed throttle response
Bulletin No: 13 002 01 (021)

Before activating the Secondary Program, confirm that the static ignition
timing is accurately adjusted. If not, activation may not be necessary.
The motorcycle will require the use of Premium or Super Grade fuel (98
RON) only, once the secondary program has been activated.
Premium fuel is necessary to control acceleration pinging under the
conditions described above.
In changing to the secondary program, the K 1200 LT customer MUST
be made aware of both the necessity and the reason for the continued
use of Premium/Super grade fuels.

Just wanted to let you know.

Last edited by White; Aug 22nd, 2007 at 11:55 am.
post #23 of 25 Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 1:04 pm

My dealer cut the brown wire for me.
My mileage did not change... 50mpg +/- 4mpg
post #24 of 25 Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 1:10 pm

93 MON (I think MON) rating is the best that I can get in this area. I don't know what 98 RON coverts to. I hope that 93 is good enough. I have been running it for five years.
post #25 of 25 Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 4:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eotiii
93 MON (I think MON) rating is the best that I can get in this area. I don't know what 98 RON coverts to. I hope that 93 is good enough. I have been running it for five years.
As far as I know is the MON number 8 to 10 points under the RON number.
So i think wat you have is either RON or AKI.
Aki is between RON and MON.
You could ask at your fuelstation.

If it is the only fuel you can get over there it is quiet simpel .

If i'm wrong here let me know.
I'm from holland, things could be different out here.

The Service bulletin i'm reffering to is on my server.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in