Odyssey Battery source - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 12:25 pm Thread Starter

Odyssey Battery source

My OEM battery is reaching the end of its useful life.I know I read of an online source for Odyssey PC 680 a few weeks ago with reasonable price. Could not relocate it using many searches. I would greatly appreciate help finding a source so I don't have to pay the outrageous price my local battery shop wants to charge. Thanks in advance.

Pat Lynch
'07 K1200LT
'03 K1200LTE (Gone)
La Salle, MI
15 mi N. of Toledo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 12:42 pm

check ebay

ebay has a bunch

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #3 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 1:29 pm
BMW Guru

I bought my battery from these guys on ebay. It was shipped in a couple of days and has been working great for over two years -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...22857310QQrdZ1

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #4 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 1:38 pm

I too have used odyssey world on ebay. Best price and fast service.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #5 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 2:00 pm

Question Is an Odyssey PC 680 the best choice?

For about $70 on eBay I can get an Odyssey PC 680; this seems to be a good deal. Is this the best choice for my LT. I drive it at least 2 or 3 times a week so I'm not concerned with it sitting, and when I let it sit for a while it is on a battery tender. Does this battery require a different type of battery tender? You guys know everything so enlighten me.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #6 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 5:40 pm

They have my vote too, great service!!

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!
post #7 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 5:05 am Thread Starter

Odyssey Battery Posts

Thanks for the reference. Do I need to also buy special post adaptors for this battery to use in the LT?

Pat Lynch
'07 K1200LT
'03 K1200LTE (Gone)
La Salle, MI
15 mi N. of Toledo

post #8 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
For about $70 on eBay I can get an Odyssey PC 680; this seems to be a good deal. Is this the best choice for my LT. I drive it at least 2 or 3 times a week so I'm not concerned with it sitting, and when I let it sit for a while it is on a battery tender. Does this battery require a different type of battery tender? You guys know everything so enlighten me.
Bo,

FWIW, I opted to get a new charger when I got my Odyssey last month - sold BMW gel charger to fund it. Odyssey lists some chargers that are suitable here - http://www.odysseyfactory.com/odycharg_c.htm. I went with this one from Battery Mart and their BMW plug - http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=ACC-1206WB.

I don't know for certain if I really needed to change chargers, but since my net cost was virtually $0, I figured what the heck...
post #9 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 8:05 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
Bo,

FWIW, I opted to get a new charger when I got my Odyssey last month - sold BMW gel charger to fund it. Odyssey lists some chargers that are suitable here - http://www.odysseyfactory.com/odycharg_c.htm. I went with this one from Battery Mart and their BMW plug - http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=ACC-1206WB.

I don't know for certain if I really needed to change chargers, but since my net cost was virtually $0, I figured what the heck...
I've been using my BMW ge; ce; charger for two years on the Odyssey AGM battery. works just fine....

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #10 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 8:49 am

Without electricity in my garage the Odyssey was a life saver.
Terminal posts are not great for the stock LT wire connections, but carefull bending of the wire ends, does the job.
Odyssey even sent me some spare screws as I lost mine!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #11 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 9:08 am

You can buy adaptors, but like cook1e says “carefully bending of the wire ends, does the job.” I chose to bend the wire terminal.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #12 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:19 am

Oddesty

Since no one responded to MY battery question, I'll add my .02 here. I have found that I cant charge my '05 LT battery, Oddesy or otherwise, throught the power port. I have to disconnect the + wires from the battery before the charger will work even with aligator connectors. Something is amiss. I use a $10 Harbour Freight float charger, seems same concept as BT Jr., and it works great once the battery is out of the bike (or disconnected.)

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #13 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:57 am

The power sockets on the lower portion of the fairing take a lot of damage from the weather - mine were green and not conducting power when I looked - Have you looked behind the fairing?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #14 of 15 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 9:51 am

The problem is not with the power socket, I use my electric vest fairly often (this year) and the charger light comes on when I plug it in to the connector indicating power flowing to the charger. But when I plug the charger into AC, the light goes out, no charging takes place.

I'm going to give up and buy a new battery, then start disconnecting things from it to see what is killing battery and keeping charger from working.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #15 of 15 Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
The problem is not with the power socket, I use my electric vest fairly often (this year) and the charger light comes on when I plug it in to the connector indicating power flowing to the charger. But when I plug the charger into AC, the light goes out, no charging takes place.

I'm going to give up and buy a new battery, then start disconnecting things from it to see what is killing battery and keeping charger from working.
Hey, Russ - b4 you buy a new battery, take my BT Plus, or the Battery Minder (both of which work through the accessory port on Toad) and try either one (or both) on your scoot and see what happens. Not knocking HF's thang, butt ya never know ...........

I'll bring 'em both to *$$ tamale, if you wanna ride over in the freezin' wx!! I've got the battery clips, as well as the BMW barrel connector.

BTW - I'm a leetle cornfused with "I use my electric vest fairly often (this year) and the charger light comes on when I plug it in to the connector indicating power flowing to the charger." Maybe we can discuss this tamale and you can set me straight on the procedure that takes place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in