Wobble Gone - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 7:57 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Wobble Gone

Just got my lt back from BMW of Detroit sat. Had a shimmy at 30 to 45 mph. They put new Metzler tires FT. And Rear. They also replaced the ball joint.The wobble Seems to be gone , although its 23 degrees here and i didnt ride very far. The profile of the tire seems different and the bike feels lighter when changing lanes. They also put EBC brake pads on the rear because i complained about brake noise in rear. Fine job! I installed HID lighting in low beam and although it wasnt totaly dark here i was disappointed in its performance. it is 500 lumas i think. Been reading the forums everynite , Im getting the itch to ride,cant wait for 40 degree. weather...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 7:59 pm

Thumbs up

Keep your front at 42 and rear at 48 psi and it won't return for a looonnngggg time!

Watch out for black ice!

Wonder if you can put studs in Metzlers....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 8:38 pm

I'm convinced that "the wobble" is completely tire related. There are times that I've had it, but most times I don't. Just knowing that it can rear it's ugly at any time, and remembering that is the key.

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by recaro
Just got my lt back from BMW of Detroit sat. Had a shimmy at 30 to 45 mph. They put new Metzler tires FT. And Rear. They also replaced the ball joint.The wobble Seems to be gone , although its 23 degrees here and i didnt ride very far. The profile of the tire seems different and the bike feels lighter when changing lanes. They also put EBC brake pads on the rear because i complained about brake noise in rear. Fine job! I installed HID lighting in low beam and although it wasnt totaly dark here i was disappointed in its performance. it is 500 lumas i think. Been reading the forums everynite , Im getting the itch to ride,cant wait for 40 degree. weather...
Did you install REAL HID, or some bulb that said HID like?

HID is about 2500-3000 lumens. Halogen bulbs typically 800-1500.

There is a HUGE difference in the two.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 9:08 pm

I am on my 2nd 05 LT(that's another story). My first one had a terrible wobble, but my 2nd one does not have the wobble. My first experience with the LT was an 01 that I bought new, the wobble on it was terrible. Time for new tires and I am almost afraid to see what happens. About the lighting, you will also need to install running lights of some sort to get the results you are looking for. I have the motolights and am very pleased.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Question H.i.d.

Im sure its H.I.D...not sure on output. Its made by McCULLOCH, 5000k. Maybe I didnt get the bulb i need. This is the one the salesman recommended.Maybe it needs adjusting. Only had to remove L.H. side cover, and attatched H.I.D. controller to L.H. side of cruise bracket. Ran an extra ground to horn bracket. Happened to blow fuse for headlight during install. I replaced the 7.5 with 5 amp. I read that H.I.D. draws less power.
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by recaro
Im sure its H.I.D...not sure on output. Its made by McCULLOCH, 5000k. Maybe I didnt get the bulb i need. This is the one the salesman recommended.Maybe it needs adjusting. Only had to remove L.H. side cover, and attatched H.I.D. controller to L.H. side of cruise bracket. Ran an extra ground to horn bracket. Happened to blow fuse for headlight during install. I replaced the 7.5 with 5 amp. I read that H.I.D. draws less power.
Yes, you do have real HID then.

HID takes 10-12 amps on start up, but only for a few seconds. Normally one needs a little higher rated fuse than normal to prevent possible blowing on start. I would put in a 10 amp where it was 7.5 before, rather than going down. Once a HID system is started, and drops out of the arc start mode, it drops to less than the Halogen lights. HID runs about 3.5 amps steady state.

Grounds on the LT should always go to somewhere where there are already brown wires connected to ground lugs. Frame ground on any BMW, car or motorcycle, are not good. BMW runs wire grounds to everything.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in