Cutting Out - Update - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Cutting Out - Update

Recap- 99KLT is cutting out, just like you close the throttle abrubtly, does not shut off, idles rough and will shut off at idle when problem is there.

Have ridden the bike at times up to 45 miles with no problems. Other times at 15mi, 27 mi. Bike seems to do this after an extended period of slow riding in 1st or 2nd gear or after having ridden the bike stopped for 35-45 minutes or so. The latest test ride was a 50 mile ride. Left home, went about 7 miles stopped for 15 minutes, no problems; rode another 4-5 miles stopped about 30 minutes, no problems; rode another 30 miles with no problems, stopped had dinner about 40 minutes, left rode less than 1 mile before it started acting up, cleared up after a couple of miles and didn't act up for about 5 miles. Rode through a subdivision area to see if it would act up again, it did.

The problem seems to be related to heat somehow, maybe a component failing.

Here is the history of maintenance.
Changed fuel and air filters drained tank less than 100 miles ago.
Disconnected battery and reconnected.
Reset TPS.
No vacuum or pressure on tank, canisterectomy performed a couple of years back.
The air box temp sensor was disconnected about 4 yrs ago for hesitation issue.
Service about 11k ago, plugs changed, valves checked okay, air filter

Bike is at the dealer at the moment. They have not found anything or been able to recreate the problem. I don't think they have had the time to go out and ride until the problem reappears. They did let it idle for a very extended period to try to get the temp up. Only fault code on the motronic was an air box temp sensor fault.

Still looking for any ideas or help.
Thanks,
Randal Tebeau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 11:28 am

I once had a problem with the TPS (throttle position sensor) connector being loose. It caused the abrupt issues you discuss and with it being loose it was an intermittent problem. They should be able to test the TPS and ensure the connector has no bent pins or pinched wires.

Just another idea on this road of discovery...FWIW.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 1:27 pm Thread Starter

Al,

Thanks for the idea. I was wondering about the TPS. Did you find the loose connection or the dealer? Can you tell me where the connector is located? I may have to dig into this myself if I can't convince the dealer to check it out.

Thanks again,
Randal

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 2:37 pm

Tps

I remember reading about problems such as these a while back. It was said that when you disconnect the battery, for whatever reason, it was recommended that before you start the bike you turn the key on and run the throttle from idle to full and back a couple times. This was to tell the motronic the range of throttle movement. Once you have done this, you can start the bike normally.

My bike is an '03 LT and I have disconnected the battery a number of times. I have not used this procedure and everything has been just fine. Sorry if I have no personal experience to validate the claim of this procedure.

Good Luck!

The point of the journey is not to arrive.
Neal Peart/Rush

Jeffrey D (JD) Reinke
Fairview, SD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Local BMW Group
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'03 K1200LTc "Panacea" Impala Brown
(the fastest color!)
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 3:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtebeau
Al,

Thanks for the idea. I was wondering about the TPS. Did you find the loose connection or the dealer? Can you tell me where the connector is located? I may have to dig into this myself if I can't convince the dealer to check it out.

Thanks again,
Randal
Both dealer and I came to the conclusion while I was working on it at home.
Don't forget that TPS reset procedure mentioned above.
Here is a photo
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 6:23 am Thread Starter

Cutting Out - Last?? Update

Well, I took the bike to the dealer and the motronic showed nothing wrong. The dealer could not get the bike to duplicate the problem. After talking with the mechanics we decided that I would take the bike out for an extended riding session to re-create the problem or until something failed. Because of the weather and other factors I was unable to get to ride. I pulled the tupperware and the tank and started checking connectors and wiring. The connectors looked fine. The electrical tape on the wiring for the injectors had been rubbed/cut through by being pressed between the fuel regulator and the fuel tank. (btw- the wiring was still originally located from the factory) Because of the poor lighting and my poor eyesight I couldn't really see any wire where the insulation had been rubbed through. I taped it all up and relocated the wiring just a little bit to get it out of the pinch point and buttoned her back up. I have now logged in over 450 miles with no problems. I really believe the wiring was the issue. If she acts up again I'll let you know.

Just wanted to pass along this so others could check the wiring location/condition to hopefully prevent this from occuring on your bikes.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in