shipping ..... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 10:43 am Thread Starter

Question shipping .....

Hello
I am a proud owner of a 2003 K1200LT and have just acquired a 2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited. Now I know there is a lot of controversy About this bike not being a bike and it is true. I however, really want my wife to join me on rides and she simply is not comfortable on the LT. I am 61 and have had my share of balance issues so I felt this was the best choice. Yes, I am keeping my LT! I want to know if anyone out there has the contact for a great enclosed shipper that they have used. The vehicle is sitting in Palm Springs with 257 miles and I simply do not want break in a new bike with a different riding style this time of year. The bike would be shipped to Beaverton, Oregon.

thanks

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 10:51 am

Re: shipping .....

Been taking a close look at the Can AM figure in a few years its going to be the replacement for the LT

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 11:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkniess
Hello
I am a proud owner of a 2003 K1200LT and have just acquired a 2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited. Now I know there is a lot of controversy About this bike not being a bike and it is true. I however, really want my wife to join me on rides and she simply is not comfortable on the LT. I am 61 and have had my share of balance issues so I felt this was the best choice. Yes, I am keeping my LT! I want to know if anyone out there has the contact for a great enclosed shipper that they have used. The vehicle is sitting in Palm Springs with 257 miles and I simply do not want break in a new bike with a different riding style this time of year. The bike would be shipped to Beaverton, Oregon.

thanks
Easy peasy... cover my airline ticket DFW-PSP and returning PDX-DFW (or DAL instead of DFW if Southwest gets a better deal), pay fuel and lodging for two nights; I will pick it up and ride it to you. Wife wants to go home with me to SoCal and possibly take a motor trip up the coast.

This may work out well for all of us! I expect will be less expensive than shipping it and will give it a good break-in before you get it.

PM to discuss if at all considering this option.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #4 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 12:49 pm

If you'r looking for the best shipper in the country, it is
Haulbikes, Daily Direct

I have used them, they haul nothing but bikes and with the insurance included...makes them competitive. First rate service with excellent communications AAA+

Go to their website and check them out www.haulbikes.com
post #5 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 2:13 pm

Hi Larry:

Uship.com is highly competitive - and you can stipulate YOUR terms...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 2:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Easy peasy... cover my airline ticket DFW-PSP and returning PDX-DFW (or DAL instead of DFW if Southwest gets a better deal), pay fuel and lodging for two nights; I will pick it up and ride it to you. Wife wants to go home with me to SoCal and possibly take a motor trip up the coast.

This may work out well for all of us! I expect will be less expensive than shipping it and will give it a good break-in before you get it.

Oh man, a trip up Highway 1 and before the summer fog sets in? AWESOME, I've done it several times and NEVER get tired of it. That would be a perfect break in for a new bike.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 3:09 pm

I can also recommend ABF upack.

You rent space in the front of the trailer and they wall off what you need and use the rest of the space to ship other stuff.

I used them twice to move across country and I believe they would work great for motorcycles and three wheelers..

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #8 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 3:24 pm

Quote:

Of course Meese could do the trip in just one day (1063 miles on I-5) as a warm up for another IBA ride... That would save you the hotel but would probably require that you buy a new set of tires upon arrival.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 3:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Of course Meese could do the trip in just one day (1063 miles on I-5) as a warm up for another IBA ride... That would save you the hotel but would probably require that you buy a new set of tires upon arrival.
Heck, I could do it in a day as well, but NOT with Suzanne along!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #10 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 3:39 pm

This is starting to sound like a "I can name that tune in X notes"

I can ride that ride in 20 hours..

post #11 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 3:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight

I can ride that ride in about 16 hours, WX and TX permitting (and without the wife riding pillion). Drove NE Dallas to Tucson in about 15 (right about 1,000 miles)...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #12 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 3:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight

Oh, and you are showing your age with that reference. Bad thing is, I remember the show as well!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #13 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 4:49 pm

Quote:
Oh, and you are showing your age with that reference. Bad thing is, I remember the show as well!
Being the son of a family of professional musicians Name That Tune was a hit in my house...

post #14 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 5:43 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: shipping .....

I received some rave reviews of a bike specific shipper called WolverineCycles. They will be picking it up next week and have it here the next day providing the weather cooperates.

I'm grinnin already!

Thanks for the replies and generous offers to "help" out.

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom
post #15 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 5:58 pm

My wife and I did an IronButt on our Yamaha Venture back in 05. We went from Wichita Falls up to Shamrock and out Seligman, Az and back into Flagstaff. It was 1063 miles in 16 hours flat against a SW wind.We were the only ones 2 up..............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #16 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 6:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
My wife and I did an IronButt on our Yamaha Venture back in 05. We went from Wichita Falls up to Shamrock and out Seligman, Az and back into Flagstaff. It was 1063 miles in 16 hours flat against a SW wind.We were the only ones 2 up..............
That is quite cool!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #17 of 17 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 7:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
Been taking a close look at the Can AM figure in a few years its going to be the replacement for the LT
an interesting thought. If BMW doesn't come through with a K1600LT as a replacement... Good to have options.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in