Fuel Tank Gurgle - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 5:17 pm Thread Starter

Fuel Tank Gurgle

Just got home from work today and noticed that there was a Gurgle, Gurgle, Gurgle sound coming from what sounds like the fuel tank. It is consistent at about one Gurgle per second. Have about 500 miles this year so far and no problems after a sort winter

Turned over a few times to engage fuel pump and still there.
Have already replace fuel Disconnects with Brass connectors so should not be leaking there. Also replace o rings during storage maintenance last winter.

Looked all over and did not see any leakage from anything.No spots under bike after about an hour.

No "whoooosh" from the tank when opening cap (Have pinched that line before when putting tank back on).

Seams to stop after about 10 minutes and will restart again after turning ignition to on and fuel pump charging. (Think fuel pump in tank going ?)

Maybe been doing it all along just never noticed. this time I turned the radio off before parking the bike

Any hints will be appreciated as I have two 350 mile trips planed for this week for work and want to take advantage of the outstanding weather her in Ohio before the snow fly's again.

Thanks

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 6:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Fuel Tank Gurgle

How full is the tank when it does this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

About 3/4 to 7/8 filled up on way home.
Also have removed Canister about 5 years ago.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."

post #4 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Just read your thread...did you do anything recently or last fall? Did you change your fuel filter. Hmmmm...gurgle seems like there is an air leak getting into your tank. BTW, Does it make that sound if you didn't have the gas cap on?

Glenn

Last edited by southern_nj; Mar 19th, 2012 at 7:53 pm.
post #5 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

changed filter about 2 Years ago.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
BMWMOA #124306
Blue & Pearl
post #6 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_nj
Just read your thread...did you do anything recently or last fall? Did you change your fuel filter. Hmmmm...gurgle seems like there is an air leak getting into your tank. BTW, Does it make that sound if you didn't have the gas cap on?

Glenn
I was thinking the same thing air leaking in from somewhere below the fuel level. That would mean gas would be leaking out though.

What about the vent line when the canister was removed. Water in that maybe? gurgle in that?

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #7 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

that's what I have been looking for, but no leaks that I can see.
would think if air in tank fuel coming out somewhere, but stops after few minutes. Was thinking about a hole in fuel filer line inside tank maybe.

Will put towel under bike and check the floor in the morning.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
BMWMOA #124306
Blue & Pearl
post #8 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 8:48 pm

I just did a service on my LT and drained the tank as much as possible. After removing the tank I placed it on the left side to access the pump assembly and keep fuel from leaking out. When I tilted the tank I heard a gurgle like you describe. After replacing the filter and leveling the tank I heard the same gurgle. I believe it to be the fuel transferring through the nooks and crannies due to the internal moulding.
It could possibly be the return line sending the fuel to the other side of the tank when the level is low and then you hear it transfer back when you shut the bike off.
I didn't pay attention to the return when I changed the filter so I don't know if it's even possible. If your fuel level is low, maybe.
I know it's a guess but...
post #9 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

Was at least 3/4 full.
Just checked and nothing underneath the bike and no fuel smell.
Will keep an ear on it.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
BMWMOA #124306
Blue & Pearl
post #10 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 9:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I suppose your fuel rail could be getting warm enough to cause fuel vapors to vent back into the tank until it cools off. Could be you're hearing something associated with the cooling system. Open your left side case and check the coolant level.

post #11 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 7:09 am Thread Starter

Well looks like Mike wins the Kewpie doll.

Looks like I may have overfilled the tank on the way home yesterday.

Checked this morning and nothing from under the fuel tank.
Went around to the back side of bike to where I rerouted the vent tube to after the canisterectimy and I had a few drops of fuel on the floor. and one hanging from the tube.

Engaged the fuel pump and no gurgle after charging.

Next time I will just leave the radio on while I put the bike in its place like I normally do and won't hear it.
:-)

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
BMWMOA #124306
Blue & Pearl
post #12 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 11:25 am

Sure it's not the coolant gurgling back to the reservoir?
That's what mine was.

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)
post #13 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Do not think it was the coolant because last night it would only happen after I turned on the ignition key to start position and fuel pump primed.
Even after bike was parked after a few hours. think I just got fuel in the vent line by overfilling.

Thanks

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
BMWMOA #124306
Blue & Pearl
post #14 of 14 Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 7:02 pm

I just heard the gurgle from under the seat. After a ride parked it on the side stand. dang it now I listen for it. Never noticed it before.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in