Speedometer Malfunction - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 6:59 am Thread Starter

Speedometer Malfunction

I have a 02 LT with 76K on her. I just had the dealer do a brake flush and on the way home I noticed my my speedometer, self canceling directionals and cruise control stop working. I called the dealer and they told me it was nothing they could have done which I find suspect. Reading some of the posts it appears this could be a problem with the ABS control? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rick

Mr Rick
"12" R12RT
"02" LT-C "Titan Silver"
"74" R90/6 "Black"
"86" Suzuki Calvacade 1400 (sold)
"73" Kawasaki 900 Z1A (sold)
"76" Kawasaki kz 750 (sold)
"69" Honda CB 350 (sold)
"66" Honda 305 Scrambler (unknown)
Gillette, N.J. (Exit 40)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 7:32 am

Re: Speedometer Malfunction

You have probably already checked for a blown fuse. But if you haven't done that yet, below is a list of fuse locations from the LT shop manual. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to copy the accompanying diagram.

Replacing fuses
Motorcycle fuses
Lift the seat at the front.
Open the cover of the fuse box.
Replace the defective fuse.
Fuses
1 Brake-light switch, fuel warning light, fan relay,
instrument cluster, switch for adjustable
windscreen 4 A
2 Parking lights, front and rear 4 A
3 Horn, brake light, anti-theft alarm, if fitted 15 A
4 Motronic, fuel pump, diagnosis 15 A
5 Instrument cluster, on-board computer 4 A
6 Heated handlebar grips 4 A
7 Adjustable windscreen, power sockets 1
and 2 15 A
8 Radio, map-reading light, interior light for top
case, power socket for top case 15 A
9 Fan, right4 A
10 Fan, left 4 A
11 Seat heating front/rear 15 A
12 Cruise control system 15 A

Tips
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 7:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrick
I have a 02 LT with 76K on her. I just had the dealer do a brake flush and on the way home I noticed my my speedometer, self canceling directionals and cruise control stop working. I called the dealer and they told me it was nothing they could have done which I find suspect. Reading some of the posts it appears this could be a problem with the ABS control? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rick
A known problem with the early bikes has been well described on this site. A break in the speedometer sensor wire causes the signal to the speed to become intermittent or be totally lost. Turn signal cancellation and crusie control depend on speedo function so they go out too. This may be your problem.

On the top bar of his page click on: Technical -> Hall of Wisdom -> troubleshooting -> electrical -> erratic speedometer and you'll find links to old posts.

Here's a description of the problem:
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

Here'e one of the posts with a picture of the offending wire tie:

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=7&vc=1

Last edited by CharlieVT; Mar 18th, 2012 at 7:48 am.

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 2:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The signal is called TACHO and TACHO A and it comes from the ABS unit and it feeds the cruise, speedo and the signal flasher. But as others have pointed out it is usually the rear wheel ABS sensor that generates the signal into the unit and often that wire is broken.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 7 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 10:07 pm

it was very common for the wire zip tie holding the speed senor wire to the swingarm to have too tight from the factory. that may be where your break is.
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
The signal is called TACHO and TACHO A and it comes from the ABS unit and it feeds the cruise, speedo and the signal flasher. But as others have pointed out it is usually the rear wheel ABS sensor that generates the signal into the unit and often that wire is broken.
John,
This goes well beyond my knowledge of things, but there must be differences with repect the ABS feed between the pre02 and post 02 bikes since that's when the speedometer sensor was changed from a stand-alone sensor on the FD and incorporated into the ABS sensor.

I think that the bikes with the too tight wire tie problems were the early bikes. I know my 2000 year model had the intermittent speedometer due to the wire tie caused wiring problem. Maybe the TACHO signal is found on post 02 bikes and not pre 02 bikes? Just guessin' here.
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 11:11 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
John,
This goes well beyond my knowledge of things, but there must be differences with repect the ABS feed between the pre02 and post 02 bikes since that's when the speedometer sensor was changed from a stand-alone sensor on the FD and incorporated into the ABS sensor.

I think that the bikes with the too tight wire tie problems were the early bikes. I know my 2000 year model had the intermittent speedometer due to the wire tie caused wiring problem. Maybe the TACHO signal is found on post 02 bikes and not pre 02 bikes? Just guessin' here.
You are correct and the cutoff is the production date of 11/2000 (model years 2000 and 2001 included).

Same type of signal (also called TA- and TAS or IND- and INDS) except in the early bikes it comes from the rear drive sensor and not through the ABS. Not sure what you get when the rear wheel ABS sensor goes on the later bikes.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in