'03 ABS said to be cactus - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 2:44 am Thread Starter

'03 ABS said to be cactus

For the uninitiated, Cactus is Oz slang for "unserviceable", there are also a miriad of other terms which adequately describe the same condition, as we all know, but the moderator doesn't like the use of some expletives. Now, to the issue, a mate has an '03 and the ABS apparently is not operating. He has had it to a dealer and they charged him $329 to put the GS911 on and tell him the ABS has a fault and the modulator unit must be replaced. He asked for some more detail after he got back up off the floor because they had just told him the unit is $4100AU, plus $1000AU to fit it !! The dealer technician would not elaborate on the explanation of the fault, so I'm wondering if they actually know all they need to know about this problem. Any advice, or additional checks I could assist him with ?? Is there a relay for the ABS unit on the '03 ? Thanks, Dennis.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 3:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: '03 ABS said to be cactus

Unfortunately there is no repair of the units - yet. I have a Cactus unit here to play with but no real good way to test any repairs without a donor bike.

At each output port there are some fine mesh filters that can become clogged if regular flushes are not performed. There are four pressure transducers, two motors and pumps and a host of metering ports. Then there is the electronic "brain". None of which there is readily available parts for.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Might be time to carry a rock with a rope tied to it.............

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

Tie the rope to the end of his wallet then drop the rock to snatch the wallet from his pocket. I'll put money on the fact that the ABS has never had a fluid flush. Be ignorant,......... pay the price. Expensive lesson.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 8:23 am

LOL....I feel your pain!!

After the dealer told me the same thing and after a year of me "tinkering with and doing multiple flushes on my 04....I bit the bullet and bought a new one. I just picked it up at the dealer this past saturday. They gave me a 20% discount on the price when I told them I can get the same discount by ordering from another dealer and having the part shipped. I'll hopefully install it this coming weekend.

As John Z. said above and after he recommended the same to me last year...you can try cleaning screens but that did not solve my problem. I did three complete fill/bleed cycles but keep getting the same faulty operation. I was going to try taking apart further but there are some very "unique" fasteners holding this unit together.

Steve
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser
LOL....I feel your pain!!

After the dealer told me the same thing and after a year of me "tinkering with and doing multiple flushes on my 04....I bit the bullet and bought a new one. I just picked it up at the dealer this past saturday. They gave me a 20% discount on the price when I told them I can get the same discount by ordering from another dealer and having the part shipped. I'll hopefully install it this coming weekend.

As John Z. said above and after he recommended the same to me last year...you can try cleaning screens but that did not solve my problem. I did three complete fill/bleed cycles but keep getting the same faulty operation. I was going to try taking apart further but there are some very "unique" fasteners holding this unit together.

Steve
Are there any photos of those fasteners? I'm feelin' cocky after I repaired a power steering pump on my Subaru. An $800 dealership repair was performed in 2-3 hours for $3.00 in o-rings.

With 15,000 bikes shipped to the US over the lifespan of manufacture, sooner or later SOMEONE will have to figure out how to repair them!

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 9:29 am

Actually, if it's these:

Harbor Freight sells a security bit set that fits 'em...although they may only really work well tightening the screws...it may be a case of 'drill out and replace'.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
post #8 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 9:54 am

Exactly....Kind of a "tri-lobed" torx fastener. I was searching MAC, Snap-on etc with one of the mechanics here at my company but couldn't find them. And yeah....probably torqued down so tight that the Harbour freight tool will strip. Good to know though and ironic.....I was actually gonna stop in at H.F. tonight for some other "junk".

Steve
post #9 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 11:17 am

I tried the flush method a few times, and gave up as well. I found a low mile pump, 15,000 miles, from a used bike. I paid $750.00 for it. I spent way too much time figuring out how to swap it out, but I was able to get it done with the help of this forum and the PDF version of the BMW shop manual for the ABS supplement.

I'm trying to find the link for the used parts place, will post if I find it.
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 1:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser
Exactly....Kind of a "tri-lobed" torx fastener. I was searching MAC, Snap-on etc with one of the mechanics here at my company but couldn't find them. And yeah....probably torqued down so tight that the Harbour freight tool will strip. Good to know though and ironic.....I was actually gonna stop in at H.F. tonight for some other "junk".

Steve
Did it look like the middle row?

IMG_1348 by Matey-O, on Flickr

------------------------
05 LT - Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in