I finally laid her down...very embarrassing! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

I finally laid her down...very embarrassing!

She was a good girl, very cooperative. She let me wash her and dry her without a fuss. I walked her into the carport to put her away for the night and she decided that she wanted to lay down right there against the passenger side of my wife's beautiful car. There was no changing her mind. I finally joined the esteemed league of LT owners who have laid their girls down on their sides.

Thank God for friends...

Marc

03 K1200LTC
94 K75S
Too Many others to list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Re: I finally laid her down...very embarrassing!

There are many of us who feel your pain. At least your wife's car softened the blow to your bike!

2012 BMW R1200 RT Midnight Blue
1983 BMW R100 RT Magenta Red
post #3 of 14 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 10:49 pm

I suspect you'll hear about that one "every now and then".

Think "bribes" for peace.........Many like bling, some like toys, and you might even get away with flowers if she's the sentimental type...

post #4 of 14 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 6:13 am

Dont worry and welcome to the Club of honesty .
But now, dont forget, never move your LT without sitting on her, at least I wont do that.

Manfred
post #5 of 14 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 6:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHonaker
I finally joined the esteemed league of LT owners who have laid their girls down on their sides.

Marc
So Marc, just out of curiosity, how long did that take you? If you have owned your '03 since she was new, you will surely have set the record for most years of ownership without a drop. And if you have ridden her more than 1000 miles, you may be tops in that category, too.

Oh, and you said you "walked her into the carport" - do you mean hand in hand, side by side? I tried to keep my mind from going there - because it's just a scary picture. Any time my LT is touching the ground with rubber only, I am astraddle that bad girl - unless it's one of those rare occasions when I'm picking her up.

So, welcome to the club, Marc. We've all been waiting for you.

Tips
post #6 of 14 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Talking Re: I finally laid her down...very embarrassing!

And another WELCOME to the DA club.

I still have the emblems on my LT that somebody here on this site was selling.

To me it's no big deal. I just back up to it and upright it and go on down the road. YeeHaa.

It seems I forget to pay attention about once a year and down she goes. LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 14 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 11:00 pm Thread Starter

Well, I've had her for about 3 years and I've put a lot of miles on her. I've gotten pretty good at slow speed parking, parking on off-canter inclines, etc. But yes, my judgement clouded and I thought I'd walk her into the carport. Dumb, dumb, dumb! Ironically, I've always preached to be in the saddle any time I move her. The silver lining to this cloud, though, was that my wife's pretty car DID stop her fall and kept her from getting any significant damage. I'm proud to be a member of the club now, folks. My wife was a bit miffed even if she was saying out loud that she was thankful that I wasn't trapped between the bike and the car.

03 K1200LTC
94 K75S
Too Many others to list
post #8 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 5:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHonaker
She was a good girl, very cooperative. She let me wash her and dry her without a fuss. I walked her into the carport to put her away for the night and she decided that she wanted to lay down right there against the passenger side of my wife's beautiful car. There was no changing her mind. I finally joined the esteemed league of LT owners who have laid their girls down on their sides.

Thank God for friends...

Marc

Welcome to the club, I joined last year in an uneven gravel parking lot. When I put the center stand down it lifted the bike at an angle. At push off the bike came down at that same angle and my foot slipped on the gravel.......down she went!! The J-Pegs were out and the left side got bent vary badly but probably saved the bike from any real damage.

Needless to say I inspect the parking lot for level much closer now before deploying the center stand!!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #9 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 5:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreuter
Dont worry and welcome to the Club of honesty .
But now, dont forget, never move your LT without sitting on her, at least I wont do that.

Manfred

I sure don't move mine without being on it.

I'm always amazed at how the mechanics move them around without being on them. They sure make it look easy.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #10 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 5:35 am

I, too, prefer to be on the beast when she moves.

My only exceptions are loading onto a trailer with a narrow ramp and moving onto the lift table. Both are cases where I have no way to put my feet on the ground should I need to. In these cases, I stand beside her and gently coax her up the applicable ramp.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 7:40 am

laid mine over on both sides...the Darius floorboards caught it before it went all the way over and was very easy to get her back up, no damage to the floorboards!
post #12 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 10:18 pm

You have a few to go to catch up, but try to park it father away.

OBTW, if you parked it in gear, check the clutch.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #13 of 14 Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 12:43 pm

I haven't done it. Yet. The previous owner to me clearly has (scrape marks on both chrome strips on both side bags). But I've gotten very close a couple of times. I suspect it's alot easier to do on the K1200LT than on most other large motorcycles, but even on others it is said that there are those that have laid theirs down, and those that will (and on my other bike, I have). Can't say I'm looking forward to it happening on my K1200LT and I'm trying to avoid it like the plague!!

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #14 of 14 Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 1:39 pm

You can mostly avoid it through vigilance, luck, and skill. For the most part.

Vigilance:

Never park without being in first gear.
Watch for what is under where you feet will plant - no oil, sand, leaves, pavement drop offs

Luck:

Never park without being in first gear. And never have a bad clutch when you do.
Never have anybody push you off the center stand where you have no good footing.

Skill:

Keep the RPM up when running at low speed and making turns.
Always stop with the wheel straight.
Preload gears when shifting up or down, especially at low speed. Especially at the bottom of a loop, in a hillside parking lot. 1st gear on the LT is cut straight. Try to never have the trany stopped when you shift into it.

Oh, BTW: use the side stand when you fill up for gas. The filler is designed that way. Besides, when the bike comes down of the center stand with 50 Lb of fuel, rider(s) and whoever the 3 bags hold, its a lot of weight to put on the shocks and springs. And with the amount of oil and other spillage in most stations, its and invitation to go down and do some real damage, as well as bad for the overflow system.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in