new owner and a couple of questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 15th, 2012, 11:13 pm Thread Starter

new owner and a couple of questions

I did buy the 03 LT. Yay me! I am very pleased with the deal made. They gave me much more than I thought they would on my 2 year old Versys in trade. 5400 and I only paid 6k for it new! The LT has not had any service in 4 years at 24k, it now has 31k. It goes in for service tomorrow. 30k service plus the annual. I am pleased with the quote of $770. After what I have read here, I expected more $. I can wrench on it myself but for its initial service I don't mind, plus they will go thru the bike and let me know more about it's condition. I love the ride, have only done some highway miles on it since I got it and some awkward slow speed maneuvers in a parking lot where a riders course is given. That is gonna take a bit more practice. I plan on a long ride Saturday but again mostly highway because it is too early to take it into the twisties in the mountains as there will be too much gravel on the road for a new guy and may be some icy spots yet.

The bike did not come with a com system. A bit surprized at that as I thought the "C" designation was a bit more loaded? I have searched online and have not found one for sale. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated. I will ask at the dealership tomorrow. Dunno if they will be able to get one for a bike this old though. it appears the com 1 system is for 99 - 03 and the com 2 is for the later models? Or would the com 2 system work with my bike?

Would you folks recommend a table lift or a standard lift? I mean, would the table lift give me sufficient access to the bottom bits and pieces for my own maintenance? Or would i benefit greatly from the added access a lift such as the Harbor Freight high position motorcycle lift would provide?

I am looking forward to spring and summer in a BIG way. I am thinking a trip to south Texas in August. (I live in Colorado)

Mark

Past rides
1975 Harley SS-250 - Italians can't make a dependable harley either
1986 Harley Sportster - learned to wrench on, cuz, ya know, is a harley
1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer
2003 Honda GL 1800
2001 BMW R1100RT
2003 Honda Rune - sexier than Batmans bike
2009 Kawasaki Versys - HUGE mistake
Current ride
2003 K1200LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 12:25 am

Re: new owner and a couple of questions

Mark, there's a ton of information in the sub-forums on intercoms. It's going to be like picking the right bike though - no one can tell you what to get. I currently have aftermarket AutoCom on my 01 and like it for the most part. I am, however, going to switch to a bluetooth system, mostly because I want to talk to my daughter when she's on her bike.
I also use the Harbor Freight lift table for servicing all my bikes. It's probably at its limit with the LT, but it does a more than adequate job for everything I've needed. Even did a full clutch job on it with absolutely no problems.
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 4:03 am

And I would not suggest Texas in August, it is the hottest time of the year......that is the time we all leave Texas to go to the mountains of Colorado, New Mexico anywhere but here.

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 5:43 am

Hi Mark and welcome aboard. For the intercom, I would look at the wireless versions, I have the plug in type with the cable and it can get in the way sometimes.

As for the lift table, I was concerned with the weight of the LT and although there are a lot of folks here with the Harbor Freight lift, I just didn't feel it was sturdy enough. I went for the DIRECT LIFT, for a bit more money but it gives me piece of mind. I made side extensions for it and it works well. I use it to service all my bikes and also the lawn tractor, it sure is easier on the knees and back. Makes a nice adjustable height work bench as well.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #5 of 11 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 6:03 am

Good luck with the 03. I loved mine. The best upgrade I did to the bike was the new throttle cables. They have been greatly improved. And August is hotter 'n hell in Texas but we all seem to live through it. Enjoy your new ride.............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 6:17 am

I recently purchased a lift table from Harbor Freight -- paid $299 and will tell you that it is more than stable enough for the LT. The key with any lift table is using tie-downs on the bike. Just be smart about it and you will be fine.

The reason why I bought the table was due to a clutch replacement that needed to be done on the bike -- lots of shout-outs go to some local LT owners of Mike, Rob and Bob -- three guys that gave a lot of support to the process. BTW, the table did great -- even when we torqued down some of the nuts at some super high levels.

If you can turn a wrench, you can work on most things w/ the LT. One thing I have learned is to to use blue painters tape and/or sandwich baggies and tape the screws to the panel they belong to. I used the sandwich bags and wrote on the blue painters tape where and what they went to -- made the reassembly process a lot easier.

Hope this helps...and may you have lots of fun and trouble free miles on your LT.

Ride safe.

Glenn
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 7:15 am

Hmph, must be something in the water. You're the 5th Colorado N00b to sign in here. (I bought mine in December)

Where are you getting the bike serviced? Does it have BMW in the name?

There's a Saturday AM BMW meetup in Morrison each week, but I'll be damned if my schedule hasn't allowed for it yet. ( http://www.coloradobeemers.org/ )

There is NOTHING the can happen to your bike that someone here hasn't already encountered. This is an awesome forum.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 8:09 am

Just a quick heads up: Make sure you get a Table style lift. The small under frame lifts like you would use on a cruiser will not work on the LT, as there is no frame under the bike..

Some think a lift is necessary, I for one do not. I did just about everything one can do the the LT, including complete engine removal to replace the sprag clutch. Replaced two clutches, slave cylinders, etc.. Never saw the need for a lift. I would much rather spend that money on something else.

Yes, a lift makes a big job a little more comfortable, but spend all that money to be a little more comfortable for a couple days a year? Not me. The rest of the year it is just in the way.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 11 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 9:31 pm

There was a NIB intercom for sale on Ebay Tuesday. I do not know if it is still there. I need to spend my money on the radio repair or replacement choice before I would add the intercom. But them sometimes I just like the peace and quiet except for the snoring coming from the back seat.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #10 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 4:37 am

I would recommend the Scala system for an intercom.

Although I have never ridden two up, my buddy who I ride with has a scala and we love it.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #11 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 6:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Yes, a lift makes a big job a little more comfortable, but spend all that money to be a little more comfortable for a couple days a year? Not me. The rest of the year it is just in the way.
David,

Your knees must be in much better shape than mine are. I don't mind lying down on the floor to do the work but I can't hardly get up anymore once I'm down and the tool I need is ALWAYS on the other side of the bike. I love sitting on a stool with wheels and just scooting around to the other side.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in