New BMW Owner - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 15th, 2012, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

New BMW Owner

Hey guys just bought a 2003 K1200lte with 12000 miles in great shape. Selling my 1500 Wing which has been great but wanted to try something more sporty. Well the first curve it proved itself. I have a question about the gps that came stock with it. Is there anyway to update it I have been having trouble. Any tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 15th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Re: New BMW Owner

Welcome to the forum. Not too sure about the GPS that came with your bike but you may want to go to the hall of wisdom on this site to see what you can dig up. Again, welcome to the site and may you have many fun and trouble free miles on your LT.

Enjoy...

Glenn

P.S. I am sure there are many LT owners who will chime in to help you out.
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 15th, 2012, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64deville
Hey guys just bought a 2003 K1200lte with 12000 miles in great shape. Selling my 1500 Wing which has been great but wanted to try something more sporty. Well the first curve it proved itself. I have a question about the gps that came stock with it. Is there anyway to update it I have been having trouble. Any tips
Welcome to the 'tribe' but, you aren't giving us enough information. What kind of GPS is it?
Model # and maker might help! To the best of my knowledge, BMW didn't offer GPS units until slightly later than 2003...I could be off here a bit...

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 5:48 am

Welcome aboard Joe. As JA said, we need more info on your GPS. Keep in mind the BMW does not make a GPS. It is probably made by Garmin and you can find all kinds of information on their web site.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 12:04 pm

Welcome,

First let me say I wish my bike was still that new. I have enjoyed every mile of the 106.000 I put on her, but just wish she was younger. Maintenance is very important on this machine and if you read through the postings you'll find lots of help to maintain the bike yourself. I purchased mine new and it has been a great machine the only real weak link in 2003 or newer is the seal at the engine output shaft. Regardless of how well you take care of her this seal will leak. Mine has failed at 36k and again at 105k. This repair requires the transmission to be removed to replace the leaking seal. If caught in time it may not allow oil to contaminate the clutch, but depending on the mileage it makes since to replace clutch parts since your right there anyway. If the repair is done at the dealer the cost is $2500.00 to repair. My advise is save your money now because this will happen at some point in the bikes life. If one reads through the website you will find we have alot of members that have experienced this failure at different mileages.

I hope you enjoy the bike. She handles like a dream at any speed and in the twisties she is the FAT Lady that knows a few nimble dance steps.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 16th, 2012, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the replies. My gps is made by Garmin. I have been told by them that it is the same as their street pilot 3.The trouble i have been having is getting the data card, which connects to a usb adapter, upgraded. Garmin has sent me a new usb adapter to try so i guess it's back to the computer for a couple more hours

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in