GPS power - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

GPS power

Is there any way I can wire into the oddments box to power my GPS? I don't use it much but when I do I just mount the suction cup on the cover of the box. Thanks.

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Re: GPS power

Sure. Just run a fused 12v to the box and connect your GPS to that. Put a relay on it so only hot when ignition on (I drive the relay off the seat heater circuit to do this). Come on over and I will do it with/for you. Drop me a PM to make arrangements if interested.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 7:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Should be easy enough to find a switched or un-switched power source under the stingray and have the wire come out through the handlebar rubber gasket. You could fold and velcro it underneath when not in use if it doesn't interfere with the steering. I believe that is where the factory pre-wired bike had the power wire. If you want voice commands, well, that's a bit tougher. I installed a 12v power outlet on the left cockpit side and have the speaker plugged in there but I mount the GPS on a shelf.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 8:12 am

I'm using the RKA in-power tank bag system with my own custom brackets so I can use my non-motorcycle gps.

The bracket is plexiglass I bent and fastened to the accessory rail on the tank bag. The cover is also plexiglass and slides over the top of the GPS to make it usable if it's raining without wrecking the gps. Power comes from inside the tank bag, which is wired to the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS bracket.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	34562   Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS bracket 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	34563  

Just Ride
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 1:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTerry
I'm using the RKA in-power tank bag system with my own custom brackets so I can use my non-motorcycle gps.

The bracket is plexiglass I bent and fastened to the accessory rail on the tank bag. The cover is also plexiglass and slides over the top of the GPS to make it usable if it's raining without wrecking the gps. Power comes from inside the tank bag, which is wired to the battery.
That's a pretty slick setup, but how do you see your instruments and get to the stereo functions w/ all that in the way? Or is it?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #6 of 9 Old Mar 13th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Having it slid to the right gives me full view of all the dash lights, speedo, and tach. I can't see the clock or gear indicator. I cannot see the radio buttons, but for the most part I only use the handlebar controls when riding, so that's no big deal for me.

I thought about doing it dash-mounted, but I don't use the GPS often, so I wanted a system that I could remove and keep the bike otherwise looking totally stock. (No holes drilled, etc.)

Just Ride
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
Is there any way I can wire into the oddments box to power my GPS? I don't use it much but when I do I just mount the suction cup on the cover of the box. Thanks.
I'm in Burkburnett now, so we should get together for a lunch ride sometime.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2012, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

Hello there Munson. A local riding buddy and I do a Saturday morning breakfast ride most every weekend. You'll have to come with us. He's retired and has nothing better to do. We'd enjoy the company........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 19th, 2012, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
Hello there Munson. A local riding buddy and I do a Saturday morning breakfast ride most every weekend. You'll have to come with us. He's retired and has nothing better to do. We'd enjoy the company........
Thanks! When my schedule permits, I will join y'all.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in