Stereo Loudness - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 9:29 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Parker, Co, USA
Posts: 575
Stereo Loudness

I replaced the rear speakers (thanks to the forum) a few weeks back, and will replace the fronts while I take the tupperwear off for the 36k service in a few weeks.

Do I have to worry about blowing the speakers? At 80 mph, on a windy day, it seems like I've gotta REALLY turn the volume up to hear the radio...like puke your speaker's guts out loud.

Is the radio designed for 50 mph cruising, or is it something I can set and get loud enough to hear in all conditions?

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
Rocketsled is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 9:58 am
Sit
Senior Member
 
Sit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 426
Re: Stereo Loudness

Don't really know the answer to your question, but I know on my 05, once sound is set, I don't have to mess with it later, regardless of speed. Is your speed control turned all the way up? I have mine turned to max and can hear my radio just as easy at 65+ as I can at 35.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
Sit is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 6:35 pm
Senior Member
 
BecketMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 3,522
Re: Stereo Loudness

Your amp will go into distortion well before anything could happen to your speakers.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
BecketMa is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 8:36 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Parker, Co, USA
Posts: 575
Re: Stereo Loudness

Yeah, but clipping is what nukes speakers. Course, at $20 a pair, it's not like the experiement would cost much...Especially since I get most of my music piped to the helmet.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
Rocketsled is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 7:35 am
Senior Member
 
kk610lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Flossmoor, IL, USA
Posts: 831
Re: Stereo Loudness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
Is the radio designed for 50 mph cruising, or is it something I can set and get loud enough to hear in all conditions?
Think about it......80 mph on the interstate, wind, buffeting, earplugs. That is a tall order for a motorcycle sound system. The speaker system on the LT really works best around town or commuting to work up to moderate speeds.

If your bike has an intercom system, you will be able to hear music much better through speakers in your helmet.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
kk610lt is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 9:39 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Parker, Co, USA
Posts: 575
Re: Stereo Loudness

That was kinda what I was thinking.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
Rocketsled is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 10:22 am
Senior Member
 
RonKMiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 6,279
Re: Stereo Loudness

You can mess around with different (read: more expensive) speakers, etc. but I don't think you'll have much of an improvement. As others have pointed out you're competing with lots of ambient noise, and the faster you go the amount increases exponentially.

The only way you'll have decent music on board is to mount some quality headphone speakers in your helmet and boost them with an aux amp.

I seem to remember some have had good results with a radio shack set that was dissected and installed - you may want to search for that.

As far as a portable amp you get what you pay for, and the E-17 ($140.00) is the best, period:

FIIO-Amplifier

I frequently listen to music with my I-pod and Bose headphones - and while it sounds *decent* - adding this amp makes a HUGE difference. The battery lasts up to 15 hours which is a huge benefit, I usually go a week before recharging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E17.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	34529  


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
RonKMiller is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 10:33 am
Senior Member
 
wa1200lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 2,745
Re: Stereo Loudness

Maybe not the ONLY way. I am still a proponent for in ear earphones. With this method you don't need any additional amplification at all. You will never need more than half the amplification that your ipod already possesses.

I just got back from Phoenix yesterday and while there I had a set of earphones custom molded by an audiologist. I should have them in 2 weeks. I will try them out and let everyone know how they work. The price was very reasonable.

Loren

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
You can mess around with different (read: more expensive) speakers, etc. but I don't think you'll have much of an improvement. As others have pointed out you're competing with lots of ambient noise, and the faster you go the amount increases exponentially.

The only way you'll have decent music on board is to mount some quality headphone speakers in your helmet and boost them with an aux amp.

I seem to remember some have had good results with a radio shack set that was dissected and installed - you may want to search for that.

As far as a portable amp you get what you pay for, and the E-17 ($140.00) is the best, period:

FIIO-Amplifier

I frequently listen to music with my I-pod and Bose headphones - and while it sounds *decent* - adding this amp makes a HUGE difference. The battery lasts up to 15 hours which is a huge benefit, I usually go a week before recharging.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
wa1200lt is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 8:45 pm
Senior Member
 
RonKMiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 6,279
Re: Stereo Loudness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Maybe not the ONLY way. I am still a proponent for in ear earphones. With this method you don't need any additional amplification at all. You will never need more than half the amplification that your ipod already possesses.

I just got back from Phoenix yesterday and while there I had a set of earphones custom molded by an audiologist. I should have them in 2 weeks. I will try them out and let everyone know how they work. The price was very reasonable.

Loren

Loren
I've got custom made in ear phones, (had them since CCR 2005) and they work well but the issue I have is that I can only stand them for an hour or so. I tried a little mineral oil smeared on them before insertion and that helped A LOT.... I guess it depends on your individual tolerance - they kind of "bug" me still.

The amp really changes the dynamics of the in ear phones - you can listen at half volume and still hear more definition. There's no loss of bass either. One of the things I'm really tuned into (that was a pun) is hearing protection.... less db's is good. I can't describe exactly how it works but it just has more "presence".

Once those little Stereocilia break off you don't get a chance to grow any more.

Hey, you talkin' to me?



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
RonKMiller is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 9:30 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Parker, Co, USA
Posts: 575
Re: Stereo Loudness

I've got a set (a pair, actually) of Scala Rider Teamset bluetooth headsets for my helmets. Due to an oddball incompatibility with iPhone 4s, I've sent the base+mic+speakers back to the manufacturer.

I have a good set of passive sound canceling headphones.

I've run across a how-to where the guy snipped the speakers on the base and wired in a stereo headphone jack. That's on my list of things to do when the stars align.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
Rocketsled is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 11:59 pm
Super Moderator
 
dfinazzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waconia, MN, USA
Posts: 1,358
Re: Stereo Loudness

I have been riding for 10 years with custom molded ear plugs with transducers built in!!
These do not require you to set up your radio to increase volume as speed increases!!
You can clearly hear music, GPS, phone and intercom at any speed and wind condition!

There are many brands out there but the key to success is having your original molds made
properly and then when you send your molds in for making the monitors make sure the
monitors are made exactly the same - I have some made improperly and they hurt my ears.
I have sent them back for remolding and the good companies will do this.

I can wear my in music monitors for over 12 hours without any issues day after day.
Again the key hear is having them molded properly.

I get mine from: http://www.earinc.com/p2-iplugz.php

Their prices have been going up and up lately. I have 2 pair and riding with your ears sealed
reduces fatigue and in my opinion improves your concentration and riding style as the noise
is less and less a factor and your can feel the bike etter - hard to explain!!

Anyway that's my 2 cents . . .

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
dfinazzo is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 8:25 am
Senior Member
 
wa1200lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 2,745
Re: Stereo Loudness

If you are referring to over the ear headphones I tried to do this without success. I could not get the over the ear speakers to nestle close enough to my ear flappers to block the noise while still allowing me to get my helmet on.

If you are referring to in the ear earbuds and a CardoScala system I am likely the one who wrote the how to. I still stand by the system. It is flawless, and very versatile as anyone who rides gets hearing protection............ And tunes to boot!

Loren


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
I've got a set (a pair, actually) of Scala Rider Teamset bluetooth headsets for my helmets. Due to an oddball incompatibility with iPhone 4s, I've sent the base+mic+speakers back to the manufacturer.

I have a good set of passive sound canceling headphones.

I've run across a how-to where the guy snipped the speakers on the base and wired in a stereo headphone jack. That's on my list of things to do when the stars align.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
wa1200lt is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 11:12 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Parker, Co, USA
Posts: 575
Re: Stereo Loudness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
If you are referring to over the ear headphones I tried to do this without success. I could not get the over the ear speakers to nestle close enough to my ear flappers to block the noise while still allowing me to get my helmet on.

If you are referring to in the ear earbuds and a CardoScala system I am likely the one who wrote the how to. I still stand by the system. It is flawless, and very versatile as anyone who rides gets hearing protection............ And tunes to boot!

Loren
I can't find the exact link, but it was VERY similar to this: http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/sh...5#.T14fO3JSRv0

dfinazzo Do you find it blocks important sound? (cars nearby, sirens, etc.)

Mentioned here or elsewhere was a process where you used an inexpensive hunting earplug moulding kit and a normal set of in-ear headphones to make a DIY set of custom moulded headphones. I've been pretty happy with my $20 headphones, and at $15 for the kit, the price is right for experimentation.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
Rocketsled is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 11:27 am
Senior Member
 
hschisler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rushville, OH, USA
Posts: 7,768
Re: Stereo Loudness

I use custom-molded earplugs, also - and I think are from Ear, Inc. as Dan mentioned.
They do not in any way block sounds you want to hear (or need to hear); for me and my wife they block wind noise, especially that low-frequency rumbling sound that is created by air turbulence. They also make intercom conversation and music (via helmet headsets) more clear.

It sounds counterintuitive to have ear plugs and speakers over your ears, but it works. I'm sure Dan's solution of custom ear plugs with the electronics built into them is even better, but we needed a microphone for the intercom.

They were $100/person about 2 years ago. Not cheap, but well worth it. As an added benefit I use these for outside work involving noisy equipment (chain saw, tractor, etc.).

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hschisler is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 4:20 pm
Senior Member
 
wa1200lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 2,745
Re: Stereo Loudness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
I can't find the exact link, but it was VERY similar to this: http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/sh...5#.T14fO3JSRv0

dfinazzo Do you find it blocks important sound? (cars nearby, sirens, etc.)

Mentioned here or elsewhere was a process where you used an inexpensive hunting earplug moulding kit and a normal set of in-ear headphones to make a DIY set of custom moulded headphones. I've been pretty happy with my $20 headphones, and at $15 for the kit, the price is right for experimentation.
Here is the "How to" link for converting Cardo Scala to use ear buds: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52455

Do not pay any attention to the fat man in the pictures. He's harmless.

Howard, good to hear you like the molded ear plugs you bought. I just ordered a pair of the same brand for myself last week. Mine will arrive drilled and cut to allow me to use my own ear buds. I also asked them to leave the part that goes into the ear canal long. I figure if I don't like it I can Dremel them off.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
wa1200lt is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 7:23 pm
Senior Member
 
deputy5211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas Area, TX, USA
Posts: 4,877
Re: Stereo Loudness

+1 for custom molded in-ear monitors.

I use a set of Shure monitors and the custom molds by Now Hear This (Marilyn Navia). IIRC, she was at several CCRs and is mentioned in multiple threads.

I paid about $100 several years ago (much more now) for the molds. I sent my monitors in with the impressions and she put it all together. I have since upgraded monitors and they still fit the same plugs.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------


'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.
*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deputy5211 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stereo Replacement thread, But different... hdironhead78 K1200LT 26 Aug 25th, 2016 9:37 am
06 Stereo glitch LesKloppenburg K1200LT 4 Jun 28th, 2010 5:45 pm
Combination stereo earphones/earplugs? atps1234 iPod/MP3 5 May 22nd, 2009 3:25 pm
Autocom stereo plays on right side only wcarter Intercom, CB, & 2-Way Radios 3 May 15th, 2009 8:02 am
Stereo sound not working...any suggestions? bmwscoot42 K1200LT 4 Feb 3rd, 2007 10:13 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome