Advise Needed (Temp Gauge Not Working) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 7:17 am Thread Starter

Advise Needed (Temp Gauge Not Working)

For those of you following my previous threads, I just finished installing a siebenrock clutch yesterday. After a few hail marys and some deep thought, I turned the key -- whew, the bike started right up and it shifted smoothly -- I had the bike going for only three minutes at best.

One thing I did notice that the temp gauge did not register (not even a little black bar -- which I swore was there on my last ride 6 weeks ago) -- I am pretty sure I would have seen something with a three minute down the street and back ride (maybe 150 yards at best).

Here is my question (read what I wrote beneath it).

What are your thoughts on why the temp gauge did not register. Was it:

1. The bike was still cold (the temps hit 70 yesterday) and I only had the bike running for 3 mins (had a class to get to).
2. When I "tilted" the engine down to remove and install the tranny, I disconnected or broke a sensor connection?

PLEASE NOTE THIS: When I had the engine tilted down, I noticed a small (maybe a 1/2 an ounce) puddle of antifreeze on my work table -- it was on the LEFT side of the bike. By the way, it looked like it came down from over the left value cover.

I will most likely take this course of action later today:

1. Start the bike to see if the temp gauge is working; if not, I will pull the tank and peek at the wires -- then check the manual for the sensor routing (I should probably do this first).

Hey thanks for your input.

Glenn

P.S. I will create a clutch write-up later this weekend - stay tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 8:38 am

Re: Advise Needed (Temp Gauge Not Working)

Glenn, no wisdom to share on the temp gauge, but sounds like you are on the right track for diagnosing it.

Interested to hear how the Siebenrock performs under actual riding conditions. Does it feel any different (other than not slipping, of course).

Also, I do not recall if you posted this earlier, but since I am facing a clutch job myself, I am wondering if you found any contamination on the clutch, or if it was just worn.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 8:57 am

The temp sensor is on the bottom of the water pump, left side. This photo shows a brand new one, without the single wire attached, after I over torqued the original during a coolant flush
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0038.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	34524  

'15 GTLE

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 9:17 am Thread Starter

Steve: Thanks for the picture...I just checked the sensor on the LT and all is well. I am guessing that something happened when we tilted the engine down. Stay tuned.

Tony: The siebenrock clutch hasn't gotten a full workout yet as I only went 100 yards or so with it. As far as the clutch goes, I would suggest doing it with someone. Not only will they be helpful for the grunt work, it makes it that much easier too.

THANKS!!!

Glenn
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 11:48 am Thread Starter

Whew...I just came back in and let the LT idle for about 7 mins or so...and yes, the bar climbed up nicely -- I guess after a 6 week hiatus, the ole girl was cold.

Doesn't look like an issue (I am wiping my brow) -- but still wondering where the minor antifreeze leak came from -- John Z (btw, has been extremely giving with his knowledge) mentioned that it could have been from a hose being crimpped or slightly dislodged when I tilted the engine.

But thanks for the advise guys!!!

Glenn
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 12:51 pm Thread Starter

Found no contamination on the friction plate -- PO most likely rode it hard based on how he told me to "ride the clutch" when I first get going.

Once I took of the tranny, all was bone dry -- just a lot of material from the old clutch.

If you do the job on your bike, it will be about $700 in parts (clutch only) --- just make sure you replace 100% of all the clutch items -- painful yes, but what I learned is that this process is hugely time consuming.

I will do a write up this weekend on the clutch process/my experiences.

Glenn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in