J-Peg Installation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Mar 8th, 2012, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

J-Peg Installation

Just had J-Pegs delivered and I'm struggling with the instructions starting just after drilling the holes in the black tip over plastic and putting them back on. I was wondering if anybody has pictures or video of their install. I'm looking to mount them on a 2005 LT with the parking lights on the underside of the tip over plastic. Any help would be great.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Mar 8th, 2012, 9:34 pm

Re: J-Peg Installation

I have them on my '05, work great. They have been on all four of my LTs.

Not seeing the instructions, and not knowing what kind of problems you are having...

Just saying...

By the way, have you tried a search using "J-Peg install" or similar search terms?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Mar 8th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Years ago I istalled them on my bike--I no longer have them but I do remember having to cut away, on the underside of the rubber tip over cover. You remove the original tip over tubular steel and replace it with the heavy aluminum stock that the J-pegs attach to.
You are talking about BMW, pegs I hope ??

post #4 of 14 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 5:13 am Thread Starter

I tried You Tube and several different internet searches with no luck. I've left both an e-mail and voicemail for the company I got them from last week and haven't heard back yet. I'm good through making the cuts and replacing the plastic wings. Just can't wrap my head around the sections after that. Being a visual person and seeing pics or video would get it done. I feel kinda silly since it's only 4 bolts but I am jammed up on the bearing and spring come together here. May have to make a trip down to the local BMW shop and ask some questions or see if an LT has them on. Thanks for your help!
post #5 of 14 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 5:26 am

Installing the peg checkball and spring has to be done with the Jpeg in or out or you'll jam up the pivoting. Just make sure the ball matches the hole and put the bolt in by hand while holding the Jpeg up against the spring. I hope this helps...........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #6 of 14 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 9:57 am

I've not had to install j-pegs from a box, but I've had the ones off my bike a couple of times so this is from my experience.

There are more holes on the mounting plates than needed. Not sure why, maybe they're for the manufacturing jig. Make sure you've identified the correct two bolt holes to use. Near the pivot bolt hole, there will be a hole for the spring and ball. This serves as a detent to hold the pegs in the stored or deployed position.

Install the proper shims and such through the peg according to the manual and thread the pivot bolt in with the peg in the stored or deployed position. This helps keep the ball and spring in place.
Snug down the pivot bolt, but don't torque to final spec yet. Now install the front stop bolt. The un-threaded part of this bolt rests against the curved part of the peg as a travel limit in the deployed position. When you put your feet out on the pegs, you are pushing against this bolt. Check the the peg swings open and close freely and you can feel the ball and spring providing detent function. Torque down both bolts to spec and check one more time for binding.

hope that kinda makes sense......
good luck

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #7 of 14 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

Yes it does!!! Spoke to the retailer today as well and they are looking to add pictures within the instruction sometime in the future.

Now, just need a few more hours this weekend to knock this out along with a Fuzebox and GPS hardwire!

Thanks for the help!
post #8 of 14 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Three LTs and I never got the spring/ball to work correctly on both sides at the same time.

Good luck

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #9 of 14 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 9:26 am

Try putting them on without instructions! I removed them the first time I had took the tupperware off to do a service and had to put them back on from memory. The previous owner already had them on the bike.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #10 of 14 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Another word of advice... drill a hole in the lower fairing where the tip of the J-Peg WILL punch through WHEN the bike tips over. Keeps from having the fairing cracked.

Don't ask me how I know this.

I have attached a couple pics for ya...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1049.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	34527   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1047.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	34528  

2000 K1200LT (hybrid)
post #11 of 14 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnpawkee
Another word of advice... drill a hole in the lower fairing where the tip of the J-Peg WILL punch through WHEN the bike tips over. Keeps from having the fairing cracked.

Don't ask me how I know this.

I have attached a couple pics for ya...
Uh Oh - I thought that problem had been fixed by a redesign of the J-Pegs by the manufacturer. Is that not correct? I was thinking that I had seen something on their website about a fix a couple of years ago. I bought some XL J-Pegs on eBay recently that I am going to install pretty soon and was thinking that the lower fairing punch problem didn't exist after the redesign of the tip over bar part.

Thanks,

Tips
post #12 of 14 Old Mar 25th, 2012, 6:51 am Thread Starter

So, I finally find some time to put these on. First thing I notice is the bolt patterns provided with the templates are off by about a half inch. After trimming for the adjustments the left side is on and works great. Now the right side. After almost two hours I can't get the bearing to seat correct and just when I think I got it, the peg locks up and bends one of the bolts. Not sure where I went wrong but assume the bearing wasn't quite right and never moved as freely as the left side did. Hoping ordering another bolt and repacking some grease will do it. For now, we will head to Charlotte with just the one side done.

So close, yet so far!!
post #13 of 14 Old Mar 25th, 2012, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaltyn
So, I finally find some time to put these on. First thing I notice is the bolt patterns provided with the templates are off by about a half inch. After trimming for the adjustments the left side is on and works great. Now the right side. After almost two hours I can't get the bearing to seat correct and just when I think I got it, the peg locks up and bends one of the bolts. Not sure where I went wrong but assume the bearing wasn't quite right and never moved as freely as the left side did. Hoping ordering another bolt and repacking some grease will do it. For now, we will head to Charlotte with just the one side done.

So close, yet so far!!
Try this: place the spring to the side, clean the grease from the cavity and be sure the ball seats COMPLETLY in the hole. If not get drill bit the size of the ball and clear out the burr, when done the ball should drop in and be hidden. Then grease the hole, spring, & ball so the ball hangs due to the grease holding it upside down. Install the peg in the DEPLOYED position and start the long screw. You should NOT have the stop screw in at this time. Tighten the pivot screw with the peg deployed and wiggle the peg and you will feel the detent in the peg make contact with the ball. Tighten a bit more and test by CLOSING the peg. If you feel a solid snap you are good to go, torque it down and install the stop bolt.
Note: be certain to use BLUE lock-tight on the bolt threads or the bolts will vibrate out.
It really easy. I installed mine so the pegs were on top of the crash bars and have posted pics and instructions if you care to search.
Good luck!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #14 of 14 Old Mar 25th, 2012, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

Took the tip over bar off and it appears I have scarred the aluminum to he point I dont think I can fix it. Believe I'm screwed until I get a replacement.

Live and learn!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in