Sweaty hands at LT delivery - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

Sweaty hands at LT delivery

I've been lurking in this forum for six weeks as my finances were slow in coming.
This forum is fantastic. But, you guys had me very nervous to ride it off the lot.
The hints on not dropping it are stellar and I used them all. Thanks!
Once thru four stop signs, the bike is just a bike. Point it and go!
Looking forward to learning as much as I can from this fine community. I absolutely love this whale but ypu guys really had me going.

Mike and Mona
Hilliard Oh

05 K1200LT yet to be named.

PS:My wife just had hip replacement on 1/25/06. And already has been a fine pillion. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 7:40 pm
TMH

Mike and Mona,

Congrats on the new bike, and welcome.

I've had my '02 for just a couple of months now, and finally was able to get out today for the first time with my wife on board. I haven't really ridden 2-up much before, so it was a little adventure for me and I just kept things a little slower than normal, and mostly under control.

But I sure wasn't ready for the pea gravel I pulled into as we were coming up to a fruit/vegitable stand where she wanted to stop. Came really close to dropping the bike for the first time as the rear wheel sunk and started to washout. Fortunately I was able to dab my left foot, give her a little gas, and she turned out to be a pretty good dirt bike (by keeping us rubber side down)! After we parked and she went inside, I went back and saw that my rear tire had sunk 6-8" into the gravel. We were very lucky, and it was a good reinforcement that you need to be ultra aware of what you are approaching when riding an 850# +passenger & luggage bike.

Well, we got our artichokes and the rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. So I've now gotten my first 115 miles with a pillion, and in a nice mix of twisties, highways and freeways. She was really happy on the back seat, and was ready to go for more - Which is quite a statement since she had a pretty significant back injury not too long ago.

Congrats again, and hope to hear some ride tales from you guys.

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #3 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 7:43 pm

Hey, Mike and Mona!
Welcome to our world! Hilliard has changed since I lived near there 40-some years back. Even worked on one of the county roads that ran thru farms - bet it's all built up by now - was fun getting a paver across that narrow bridge over the Scioto!

Only caution I'd offer is about shopping - these LTs seems to like having things attached to them

Ride safe!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)

post #4 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 9:26 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome! Hilliard is now busting at the seams onwhich used to be farmland (sigh)--It hasn't been warm, 45 highest since I got her but I still better schedule my 600 for early next week. It 32 and I am off work today so I'm off to the Iron Pony too shop(I know I was warned). The bike is sooo warm!!

mike
05 K1200LT lt yellow?
post #5 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:00 am

Sinking

I have been riding LT for about a year now and have about 13,000 miles under my belt on her. Last year we rode to Florida (haven't been there in 30 years) and we decided to take a break on the side of the road. The sand looked hard. It wasn't. My LT fully loaded and 2 up sank immediately. I am only 5'6 and sitting on a Bead rider also and somehow I managed to keep her up. Wife got off, I asked her how deep, she said about half way up to the axle. Rode her out, but I learned a lesson about riding in deep sand. Just hope I can remember the lesson.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #6 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofshoe
But, you guys had me very nervous to ride it off the lot....{snip}...The hints on not dropping it are stellar ...{snip}... Point it and go! ...{snip}.... I absolutely love this whale but ypu guys really had me going.
Better "keep going". Guard against over-confidence, especially in the early stages. All it takes is a little inattention and that front brake will provide you with an early opportunity to learn how to get the bike upright again after it dumps you on the ground. Don't ask how I know.
post #7 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:57 pm

Quote:
Mike and Mona
Hilliard Oh
Welcome, Mike and Mona.

Hilliard? Hey, I work just up the road from you in Dublin. I commute from the Lancaster area. I've ridden the LT to work many times since getting it last September; will be riding it even more as spring gets here (and it gets out of the shop...).

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 1:21 pm Thread Starter

howard-mona works in dublin @ metroplace (where they have the car show) we should hook up sometime. I tried to avoid sounding cocky..but I may have failed- I was just trying to convey how uptight I was @ pick-up. I told my wife feel my hands ,she did,and then broke out laughing. I was just being sincere on the tips..I respect the bike (low speed practice missed shift comes to mind...whew!!) Seriously this is the best,most active and informative group I have seen on ANY subject. I am so glad I found it. just in from 3 hrs @ about 38 gotta get me a heated vest and lose a layer or two

Mike K1200LT its gold why don't we admitt it
post #9 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

Howard- you have my fvorite roads close to central OH in your backyard I know I'll be down there on most Mondays after Mona goes back to work fulltime.

mike 05 K1200LT
post #10 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 2:31 pm
Ted

Congrats!

Just trust your balance and pay attention to your stops and you'll be fine.

My hands were sweaty at the dealership when I picked mine up, too. Luckily I also found this board prior to purchase for all the tips, but in doing so was convinced I was going to drop her - especially when getting her up on the centerstand. After the salesperson showed me how to properly lift her, I made him stand next to the bike as I practiced a few times. We were both laughing but I had genuinely psyched myself out.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #11 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Thumbs up

Congrats Mike! ...from another Buckeye up here in C-Town . . . er . . . Cleveland. I've only officially dropped mine once, and that was about 35K miles ago. I personally don't foresee doing it again. But, keep in mind that once the LT starts to fall, there ain't no one man that'll stop it!

Another thing I haven't heard in here for awhile is that, believe it or not, but the LT only starts really freeing up at about 30K. As nice as you think it runs and rides now, just wait and see. The LT really ripens with age.

All the best,
post #12 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 4:10 pm
TMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
My hands were sweaty at the dealership when I picked mine up, too. Luckily I also found this board prior to purchase for all the tips, but in doing so was convinced I was going to drop her - especially when getting her up on the centerstand...I had genuinely psyched myself out.
Actually, maybe I'm kind of glad that I didn't find this forum until after I bought mine! I was just dumb enough to think "Its just another big BMW, and I have no issues with the RT, so what the hey" and off I rode for my test ride. Even though she started a terminal lean at one stop (due the the front wheel being a little turned), I got her centered, and managed not to drop her.

I almost don't know whether I would have test ridden her if I had known about the "drop ratio" of these bikes

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #13 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 9:58 pm

Quote:
howard-mona works in dublin @ metroplace (where they have the car show) we should hook up sometime...
I'm an IT consultant, presently working at the Atrium building just north of the Tuttle Crossing Mall.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #14 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Quote:
Howard- you have my fvorite roads close to central OH in your backyard I know I'll be down there on most Mondays after Mona goes back to work fulltime.

mike 05 K1200LT
I actually live several miles east of Lancaster; the Hocking Hills are a hop, skip and a jump from here. Many interesting roads are just 2 minutes away.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in