power outlet in radio compartment glovebox. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

power outlet in radio compartment glovebox.

Has anybody added a power outlet in a k1200lt glove box? I was thinking a usb style plug. For keeping my phone charged. I was wondering how much plastic has to be removed to access that area. And tap into a power source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Re: power outlet in radio compartment glovebox.

I know this isn't the application you're looking for, but check this mod I did to get 12v and a stereo aux input into that compartment: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...21&postcount=2. I have a "Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway" in there powered by a cigarette adapter/usb power adapter. With this approach, the BT receiver powers on with the radio and connects automatically to my phone for tunes. To do this, I had to pull the stingray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oosel
Has anybody added a power outlet in a k1200lt glove box? I was thinking a usb style plug. For keeping my phone charged. I was wondering how much plastic has to be removed to access that area. And tap into a power source.

'15 GTLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by oosel
I did exactly what you're talking about; great mod. I did, however, also remove the BMW radio unit (I use smart phone to Sena Bluetooth for all audio needs). I installed a unit with 3 standard (cig lighter) outlets and 1 USB outlet. Believe I picked it up at Radio Shack. As for how much plastic has to be removed, as usual with the LT, the answer is TOO MUCH...left and right upper fairings and everything that comes along with it (tip over wings, mirrors, wind deflectors, etc.). It is super convenient to have a big "glove compartment" with all those outlets.

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 10:15 pm
JWA

Garage

I put a cig lighter on the side of the case: there was a cavity there and there was also a hot wire available that sits at the chrome crash bar level for an optional right hand BMW power outlet. You may have to make a connector if you want to avoid splicing. I did not have to remove anything permanently.
You (only!) have to remove the plastic bumper, the chrome bumper, the center plastic below the glove compartment, the rh turn signal and the right top panel to get to it.

1999 K1200LT HL Basalt Grey/ Fleximum Sidecar
1983 Silverwing 650 leaner/1987 Velorex Sidecar
post #5 of 13 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 10:53 pm

I've done this two different ways. First time I ran wires (power and XM antenna) in through the grommet behind the radio. Second time, I drilled a hole in the side of the oddments box, ran the wires over the top of the fuel tank into the (RH) side, and put a split grommet around the wires once in the box.

Both times required removing the stingray, but the second time I didn't have to remove the radio from the stingray. I believe I took power from the dash light.
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 8th, 2012, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

Ok, lots of great info. I might wait until I have to pull all that plastic off to work on something else. Guess I better make a to do list for all them little mods to do when the stingray is off.
post #7 of 13 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 1:32 pm

Is this something like you had in mind? http://www.cyclenutz.com/All-Weather...Kit_p_475.html

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 Old Mar 9th, 2012, 2:37 pm

Maybe not what HE hand in mind, but I like the cut of your jib!

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #9 of 13 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 10:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi
Is this something like you had in mind? http://www.cyclenutz.com/All-Weather...Kit_p_475.html
Just what I was looking for. BUT, if one uses it to power a sound source for input into the intercom system, I would be concerned about "alternator whine" coming through the speakers/phones. There are several threads here that address simple filtering methodologies and one might be well prepared if they test for this before buttoning everything back up post-install. Don't ask me how I know!

EDIT - Below information added...

Here is one of the product reviews that mentions this very problem on a K1200LT:
(LINK to page containing product info and the below review/feedback)

USB power.
Overall I like this product. I bought 2 of these to put on my BMW K1200LT. I ran one from the GPS unit cables on top of the tank since I don't use it. I am using this for my Driod phone. I ran the second from the power site by left left leg to CD/compartment for my mp3. The only down side is that I electrical feed back from either one when I have them plugged in and playing. I'll charge them prior to using them, switching them out as I can use my Driod as mp3 also.
Reviewed by: Fred Stoki from Linden, VA. on 6/20/2011

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Last edited by deputy5211; Mar 10th, 2012 at 11:49 am.
post #10 of 13 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 11:24 am

Pics of what I did are in the thread below...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61804

Full stingray removal required plus cleaned up/removed several harnesses and freed up a ton of cargo space on my 2000 removing the radio/cassette and CD player. Since I like the simplicity of the model year, the upgrade didn't make me feel I was ruining it with the modification for current audio technology with my ScalaRider G4 and Bluetooth enabled devices that fit in the smallest pocket (or now ample glovebox).

2012 K1600GT

post #11 of 13 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 1:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi

Wow! Only $18.95. My local BMW dealer sells these for $32.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #12 of 13 Old Mar 10th, 2012, 1:23 pm
Sit

Or you can get the USB charger here:

http://www.burnsmoto.com/usb-power-s...atherproof.php

and get the mounting tab included for less.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #13 of 13 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 9:53 am

FWIW, took some pictures of the mod (ghetto mod?) I did to the glove box...

Pics here

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in