strange idle behavior - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 5:56 pm Thread Starter

Question strange idle behavior

I have a 2000 K1200LT with about 30K miles. I just had the valve shims checked and it needed two exhaust valve shims but otherwise all in spec. Lately, I've noticed that after warming up, the idle "dances" between the normal idle speed (1K) and about 200 RMP above to 1200 RPM. If I don't touch the throttle, it revs up and down on it's own. It goes up to 1200 then falls back to 1000 and does this back and forth about 4 or 5 times before settling into a smooth 1000 RPM idle. It does not cause problems with performance but I was wondering if anybody could shed light on this behavior. Thank you. Lou Laguna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 6:49 pm
kip

similar behavior

my 99 does a similar thing....85,000 miles on it.....
sometimes when i pull up to a light it will rev higher and then settle back to 1000 and back and forth a few times....
ive observed it and wondered what was up with it but its never really caused any issues....

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 7:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by louatlvc
I have a 2000 K1200LT with about 30K miles. I just had the valve shims checked and it needed two exhaust valve shims but otherwise all in spec. Lately, I've noticed that after warming up, the idle "dances" between the normal idle speed (1K) and about 200 RMP above to 1200 RPM. If I don't touch the throttle, it revs up and down on it's own. It goes up to 1200 then falls back to 1000 and does this back and forth about 4 or 5 times before settling into a smooth 1000 RPM idle. It does not cause problems with performance but I was wondering if anybody could shed light on this behavior. Thank you. Lou Laguna
Vacuum leak. Check the tubes that slip onto the throttle bodies, excellent chance one of them is off. Probably nocked off when the valve work was done, or taken off and not put back properly.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 7:13 pm

I 'second' the vacuum leak theory.
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 8:02 pm

If it doesn't stop after 30 seconds and continually does it then yes a vacuum leak but if it stops after a bit then its the computer controlling the idle while its cold..............regards Pete
post #6 of 12 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 2:31 am

It could very well be a vacuum leak, as previously suggested. However, if the behavior does not continue, check the battery.

If the battery charge is low, the LT will compensate by raising the idle and you may notice the idle fluctuate in a similar way.

Stefan
post #7 of 12 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:13 am

Did I hear anyone say vaccum leak?? Happend to mine within the first 300 miles. Hose of one of the throtle bodies....

Rich in Florida
post #8 of 12 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:16 pm

That's why you need to do a canisterectomy, take off all those hoses, rollover valve and plug them darlin's up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:34 pm

Two years ago my 2000 did this, everyone said vac leak, even my dealer. Stripped her down and found none. I cleaned the battery connections and retightened them... all was and still is good in the world.

PS last year I needed a new battery, old one was 3 years old. Went with a cheap battery from WallyWorld, figured I could go thur 2 or 3 and still be $ ahead. I usually ride year round, but this year fog and ice kept me off the roads for 2 months! No battery tender and the battery got weak but still started on 2 revolution.

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #10 of 12 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

Smile Many thanks!

Thanks so much for the great comments on vacuum and battery. I will check these out. I've had older airheads for years (still have them) and was worried that the new technology would be prohibitive as I've always enjoyed wrenching myself. I've found that the new bikes are intimidating to work on but this web site makes it far less so. Thanks again! Lou Laguna
post #11 of 12 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:38 pm

You should be able to find fellow riders in your area to guide through basic maint and repairs. Check out the regional forum for your area. Also, if you fill out your profile a rider in your area may well speak up and offer a hand.
post #12 of 12 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Floating idle

Ok, so I've been searching and reading throughout the site about "rough" idle culprits on my 03 K1200LT. I just turned over 14K, and it received the 12K service when I bought it last year with 11K on it. Anyway, i'm in Georgia and just started to notice a strong gas smell on first start of the day, and then now a "floating" idle. The tach waivers between 1000 and 1300 at idle. I did suspect my battery getting old and lathargic two months ago when we had 25 degree nights. I ride daily, and when the temps got that low I was seeing a little "slow" turn-over. I bought a gel battery tender which indicated that I had a less than desiravle charge. So with all that, which rabbit hole to go down comrades?? #1-Throw down $7each for some NGK Iridium DCPR7EIX plugs for the optimal burn? #2 Pop the tupperware and search for the elusive disconnected vaccum line? #3 Canisterectomy? #4 Throw down for a new battery? (after all it is 3+ years old) #5 Shut the [email protected]*#-up and keep on riding!!
Anyway, I really appreciate input on my quest for I enjoy the LT greatly because it is truely awesome!! You can't slap the grin off my face after taching this thing out in just the first two gears!! Oh my, there are three more to go . . . .

KJ

03 K1200LT
97 Royal Star
79 XS1100
85 XS850
72 Norton 850
72 RD250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in