A little red wire - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 5:56 pm Thread Starter

A little red wire

Hello everyone. New owner here. I acquired my bike from a Toyota dealer when a man traded in the bike for a car (family growing). It appears in great shape and has plenty of paperwork showing repairs and maintenance. Here is the problem I hope you can help me with. I'm the type of guy that likes my stuff mostly stock but this bike is farkled to the max. The problem I have is I replaced the battery (it was over 3 years old and died sitting at the dealer). When I replaced it I dislodged a red wire from the positive cable with a 30 amp fuse which left me with no functional piaa lights or low headlight beam it appears. They had worked on the test ride. Since I have no schematics I have no idea where it goes and I don't see any cable ends where it came loose from. I would take it to Chicago BMW where it was serviced but they just recently closed shop. Hopefully someone can give me some direction to look. I rode it home about 20 miles with the high beam on and everything was fine and worked. And by the way the ride was fantastic! I have never ridden a bike so comfortable. Hopefully the wife will love this and be more willing to ride with me this summer. Thanks for any and all help.

Vic

2007 Yamaha FJR1300
2007 Ural Artic Gear-up
2002 BMW K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 6:05 pm

Re: A little red wire

Hello,
My first thought is to actually reconnect the wire to the positive post of the battery.. you could easily momentarily just touch it to the positive and test the PIIA lites and low beam.. if this works then just adding a connector lug and making a better connection would be easy on the Positive screw. I only think this as the PIIIA lights are not factory and this lead may have simply been broken off.. If this results in functioning PIIA lights and the low beam.. I would look elsewhere.. perhaps a bad low beam bulb!.. in any case you can do all of this qiuckly and with a minimum of fear with only the seat up.. and the Key on, of course.. Congratulations on your new ride !!

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 6:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If that's like mine, there is an inline fuse about a foot from the battery. Logically it must be a positive wire for the battery because of the inline fuse. Also check to make sure you got all the positive and negatives connected. It's real easy to miss one or two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for you help. I see a fuse or relay with 4 prongs on it about a foot away. 3 with wires and 1 with just a connector. I'll try touching the wire to it with the engine off ignition on and see what happens. I really can't see anywhere else to connect it. There is an electrical box with the extra wire connections also attached to the battery but I don't see any cable ends that it could have came off there. Wish me luck.

Vic

2007 Yamaha FJR1300
2007 Ural Artic Gear-up
2002 BMW K1200LT
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Post a pic, if you can, so we can see what you see and provide optimal assistance.

Sounds like you may have an auxiliary fuse box, and also sounds like you have a relay controlling your PIAA lamps. All of which is good.

Also, look at the battery positive, do you see a lug there without a wire? If so, could be where your red wire detached from.

And remember, when in a pinch, cut the blue wire first. If it does not go BOOM! then you know you did ok.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #6 of 9 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 6:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

My 2002 with no farkles to speak of had 4 wires going to the positive terminal 2 fairly thick cables, and two small gauge wires the smallest having an an inline fuse. I suspect it was missed when the battery was replaced.

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #7 of 9 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 8:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer_Vic
... I'll try touching the wire to it with the engine off ignition on and see what happens. I really can't see anywhere else to connect it... Wish me luck.
Are you still there?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 9:06 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer_Vic
Thanks for you help. I see a fuse or relay with 4 prongs on it about a foot away. 3 with wires and 1 with just a connector. .
This sounds like a "Trigger" Relay used to run the Piaa Lights. The relay gets its main power from the battery. Then it has a "Switched" power source to activate the relay, which in turn turns on the power from the battery to the lights.

Here is a picture of a "Basic" relay set up. This one has the "On / Off" switch but yours could go direct to a "Switched " source.

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 5:09 pm Thread Starter

Ok. Figured I better step back and just take my time. Long story short using my multi-meter I found the cable goes to the auxiliary fuse box. What threw me off was everything is well put together but this cable was missing an end and that's what I was looking for. I still can't find the end of that cable and have no idea how it came off or where it went. A 10 gauge cable end attachment within reach of the cable. All is well now and today is a beautiful day to ride. Thanks for all your help everyone. The PIAA diagram is spot on and something for me to reference if needed later. Thanks again all.

Vic

2007 Yamaha FJR1300
2007 Ural Artic Gear-up
2002 BMW K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in