how to open the K1200lt seat - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 11:08 am Thread Starter

Red face how to open the K1200lt seat

I thought I started this under the technical category, but I don't see how to move it.

Okay, here's possibly some humor for most, but also a technical tip for anyone who ever finds themselves in the same situation (highly unlikely, I know).

I recently purchased my first K1200lt, and while I got a little riding in between chilly days and being sick during my R&R, I did not do much tinkering with the bike (as it should be).

I got back to Afghanistan and realized I didn't buy another battery tender for the bike, but I was pretty sure access to the battery was underneath the seat, but I couldn't remember for the life of me how to open the seat. I think I might have even tried before I left home. I was hoping to explain to the Mrs. how to open the seat so she could attach the charger. To add insult to injury, the seller even showed me when I purchased the bike, and it even came with the various little manuals/booklets. I only read the important one- how to use the stereo.

Well, after searching long and hard through this website, (I'm not impressed with it's search engine), I found my answer after four pages of google results from a similar search.

The knob/cable release is in the side luggage compartment!

Some days I wonder how many brain cells I have left.

Anyway, now this info. will be eternally stored for prosperity's sake (is that the term I'm looking for?), and hopefully this little piece of (useless ?) know how will benefit someone else, who might even have fewer brain cells than me.

raise seat; lift seat; open seat; remove seat; access battery

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Re: how to open the K1200lt seat

I use the adapter for the Battery Tender that connects on one end to the SAE plug on the Tender's charging cord and on the other end into the LEFT lower 12v accessory port (Euro-style cig lighter plug).

I emphasize left because it is hot all the time. The right one (if you have one) is only hot when the ignition is switched on.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #3 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 1:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Jeff,
Now all you have to remember is the knob you pull is in the left pannier, (side bag for most of us).

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 1:32 pm

Wait till you try to find the rear brake reservoir & try to fill it

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

Tony, thanks for that tip. I have seen the adapters, and I was planning to buy one- just as soon as I can remember which website I saw it at.

And to think- I'm not even 50 yet.

John, you would have to add to the confusion. Is that left pannier from the rider's orientation or from one's orientation standing in front of the bike, looking at it?

Bill, what do you mean- fill the rear brake reservoir? I thought the bike has air brakes. Isn't that what ABS means- Air Brake System?

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #6 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 1:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
Tony, thanks for that tip. I have seen the adapters, and I was planning to buy one- just as soon as I can remember which website I saw it at.

And to think- I'm not even 50 yet.
You are breaking' my heart... I turned 51 last week... It only gets better!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 5:34 pm

You guys are just kids! I turn 55 next month!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 8:06 pm

It's good to read the responses from you "kids". I just turned over the clock to the big 70 in February and plan to ride the LT until I can't pick it up alone. Not that I've ever tipped it over; old age allows one to forget easily

Ride safe,

Bruce
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 7:13 am

I was gonna make a reply to you kids, but Bruce beat me to it and by a few years as well, I'll be 68 in May. I can't remember (sh1t) but I can hide my own Easter eggs .

Jeff, those power plugs come from Powerlet. They are available at most stealerships, Amazon, and try Easternbeaver.com. I got the complete set up, receptacle and plug for my Triumph, at my BMW dealer and they matched the price that Amazon had. It is much easier to just plug in the charger to the outlet than to try to connect to the battery (safer too, especially for your wife). Reminds me of the time I tried to splain to my wife how to solder a wire to repair the TV while I was TDY in the Aleutians. It actually worked, but now she is my 1st ex wife

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 10:49 am

Best thing i have read on any forum for quite awhile. NOT having a good week at work so THANK YOU all for making me laugh today!! Back to work
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

I pray God blesses me with good health to not only last at least as long as you well-seasoned riders, but also to give me the mental capacity and capable faculties to still ride at that age. I don't mean for it to sound like I think you're old- I just look around and see others who aren't as fortunate, and I'm thankful for making it this far. God continually reminds me I could be a lot worse off.

I don't think I could ever explain to my wife over the phone how to solder- well, at least not a wire for the television. I tried to teach her a few maintenance procedures on the car, but I just don't think she was interested. Then, maybe she caught on just find, but she wasn't going to get her hands dirty to change a flat tire.

side note: I always thought this guy was boxing. I read the definitions, and see he's dancing! like I said- maybe not many brain cells left.

Thanks for the sources for the adapters. I think that is an easier way to go, considering my circumstances, though I seem to recall the Mrs. was able to hook up the charger to one of my HDs. As you all say, the adapters in the accessory sockets are too easy.

Boatzo, I keep seeing your avatar, and it reminds me of another passion I'd like to pursue, but I finally picked up on your username. too funny

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Mar 6th, 2012 at 12:12 pm. Reason: additional comment
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Bill "I can't remember (sh1t) but I can hide my own Easter eggs"

You know have the same problem with keys to the LT and cars.
Hide and seek is an everyday occurrence at our age.

Ride safe,

Bruce
post #13 of 16 Old Apr 10th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Something has happened to the pull cable that activates the latch on my seat, I think a bolt may have vibrated lose or something. Any suggestions on how I should try to get it open? The battery is low and i need to get in there. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I think I may have to remove the tupperware, but thought I would ask first.
post #14 of 16 Old Apr 10th, 2013, 6:45 pm
cws

Garage

there's thread on that somewhere.... but as you can see from the photo if you can get a long flat-blade screwdriver down the back of the seat you might be able to flip the latch backward by pushing on the rear part or levering it backwards. There's a very small notch on top of the latch that might help with that.
Having a backrest might make that a bit harder..

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #15 of 16 Old Apr 11th, 2013, 12:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you don't have a BakUp back rest you can just reach your hand between the seats and move the latch hooks back.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #16 of 16 Old Apr 11th, 2013, 4:48 pm

Talking Re: how to open the K1200lt seat

Lots of luck with the LT.

Be safe over there.

I will be waiting for you all to catch UP. Will be 74 in August.

That should be in another spot or new thread looking for the oldest LT owner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in