another GPS quandry !! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 4:53 am Thread Starter

another GPS quandry !!

Good morning all...

Here is a yet another question about mounting GPS...

I have my 99 LT all ready for my trip to Spain, Pyrenees, Andorra and France in May and decided to take the plunge on a Sat-nav. I picked up a Motorrad Navigator IV ( very cheap ) and cant for the life of me decide where to put the bugger....

I have 3 options from what I can see thanks to all the info provided form here...

1, Left hand side of handlebars

2, Above the clocks and taking out the dashboard light

3, just above the radio display on the the Stingray.

I'll be honest about option 1... I wouldn't be comfortable having it sat there on say the Ztechnic arm, it just doesn't look right at all.

So this leaves me with 2 & 3... I have always liked the look of the stingray mount but would the Nav IV be too big a piece of equipment mounted there ? Is the visiblity of the display good in that position ??

Mounting it via the internal bracket available that takes out the dashboard light looks a very neat job indeed and tupperware removal doesn't scare me at all. As above are there any issue's that have come to light with the unit being mounted there ??

I have seen the shelving brackets that can be screwed to the dashboard but I'm not one for having screw holes visible.

I guess you guy's get tired of this Q but trust me, trying to keep track of the post's regarding this and moving from thread to thread hurts my brain !

Cheers guys

PmC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 9:57 am

Re: another GPS quandry !!

I know you said you were not a fan of shelves, but perhaps it is worth reconsidering...

If you go with a CoPilot shelf, the mounting holes are not visible (unless you remove the shelf and go without, for whatever reason). IMHO is safest place to mount GPS, up and in the line of sight.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 10:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

I am planning a PMR co-pilot for this years farkle, I also have been thinking long and hard about drilling holes in a perfectly good dash but it looks like the best option on the market.
Take a look at supporting vendors product http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetai...=010_CPK1200LT

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 14 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
I am planning a PMR co-pilot for this years farkle, I also have been thinking long and hard about drilling holes in a perfectly good dash but it looks like the best option on the market.
Take a look at supporting vendors product http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetai...=010_CPK1200LT
John its very easy and they (BMR) provide very detailed instructions on the installation process. Just remember to mark the drill spot, check it two or three times for fitting, and drill once. I have done the shelf on two LT's now without any problems on either one.

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #5 of 14 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 10:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Chipper,
Thanks for the encouragement, PMR shelf on next months purchase schedule. GPS was this months, still a little cold here with ice on the road to risk riding.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #6 of 14 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Chipper,
Thanks for the encouragement, PMR shelf on next months purchase schedule. GPS was this months, still a little cold here with ice on the road to risk riding.

BMR, not PMR.

I installed my second BMR shelf on my third LT yesterday.

Great product.

Great GPS placement for safety and keeping your eyes on the road.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #7 of 14 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 3:24 am

Greetings.

I have my 5 inch Nuvi sitting on a RAM mount on top of the clutch master cylinder. Perfect for me.

Cheers and kindest regards to all

Paul Harrington
SA
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #8 of 14 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 7:11 am

One of the other benefits of the co-pilot shelve is that it gets rid of the glare of the dash light on the wind screen during night driving. That and it gives you a bunch more options for gadgets to install.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #9 of 14 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 9:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

My apologies for the BMR (PMR) typo, wonder how I got the link correct but managed to type the initials incorrect twice.
Still looks like the best option out there for hanging stuff at eye level.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #10 of 14 Old Apr 1st, 2012, 3:33 am Thread Starter

Morning Guys....

I finally decided on the following for my Sat-nav mounting......

http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/p...oducts_id=5733

I'm having a cuppa now before I take the plunge and fit it. For anyone who needs or wants a Navigator IV cradle then BMW are actually (for once) quite reasonably priced,

85.00 for the 4-buttoned cradle ($120.00) the only downside is they only manufacture the cradle for use with the newer can-bus systems, so you will have to chop the connecters of and find a direct feed.

Thanks for you help and comments

PmC
post #11 of 14 Old Apr 1st, 2012, 4:07 am

Hi, please take a look at this Thread from March 30th

"My map light mod."

Manfred
post #12 of 14 Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 2:47 pm

This is exactly the way I mounted mine, same product and I absolutely love it there. It is in the perfect position, right next to my left hand, not in the way of anything and very easy to glance at without changing the level of your head. See my pics in this thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panman-Chips
Morning Guys....

I finally decided on the following for my Sat-nav mounting......

http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/p...oducts_id=5733

I'm having a cuppa now before I take the plunge and fit it. For anyone who needs or wants a Navigator IV cradle then BMW are actually (for once) quite reasonably priced,

85.00 for the 4-buttoned cradle ($120.00) the only downside is they only manufacture the cradle for use with the newer can-bus systems, so you will have to chop the connecters of and find a direct feed.

Thanks for you help and comments

PmC

'15 GTLE

post #13 of 14 Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 3:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon
This is exactly the way I mounted mine, same product and I absolutely love it there. It is in the perfect position, right next to my left hand, not in the way of anything and very easy to glance at without changing the level of your head. See my pics in this thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=11
That does look good. I am guessing you couldn'e use a BMW cupholder wiht that setup though. Or at least it would be pretty cumbersome wouldn't it?

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #14 of 14 Old Apr 6th, 2012, 4:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tips727
That does look good. I am guessing you couldn'e use a BMW cupholder wiht that setup though. Or at least it would be pretty cumbersome wouldn't it?
You can indeed I'll post some pics up later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in