Windshield advice/help needed! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 4:34 pm Thread Starter

Windshield advice/help needed!

While installing the latest set of farkels, I had to pull the outer instrument cover for access and the unthinkable happened - one of the small rubber "pads" that goes between the windshield and the mounting arm(s) has gone AWOL...I've looked everywhere for it to no avail Need to put the bike back in service by tomorrow night - is there something else I can press into service in the interim until I'm able to locate another? I'm presuming great harm will occur to something if I reinstall the windshield with only 3 of the 4 "pads" present....Thanks!

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 5:03 pm

Re: Windshield advice/help needed!

I'd take one of the "pads" that didnot go AWOL to the local hardware store plumbing department. They'll have hundreds of faucet rubber washers that may work.
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 5:56 pm

Got an old inner tube from an old bicycle around? You could cut a piece off of that and make one.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 7:50 pm

Wink Re: Windshield advice/help needed!

Home Depot or Lowes will have rubber washers that are the correct thickness, and about 1" in diameter. You can trim them down easily enough, or just get 4 of them and use them in place of the u shaped rubber pieces. I lost mine a long time ago, and have just used 4 of these rubber washers ever since. No probs with several different windscreens!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 8:01 pm

What I use to keep the rubber grommet on the windshield arms is clear silicone sealer. I put a small amount on the rubber grommet and just stick it back in place. Then the next time the windshield was removed all the 4 of the rubber grommets stayed in place... The stuff is like glue.

But for your needs I think using a rubber o-ring might help as long as its thick enough.

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 10:40 pm

My bike had no rubber pads when I bought it ... got some at the hardware store and even some teflon ones for the other side ... worked great

2006 K1200LT - Vianca
2007 HD Ultra
2006 HD Ultra
2004 Honda Goldwing
2001 Honda Goldwing
1996 Honda Goldwing
2000 Honda Aero
???? Honda V65 Magnum
1992 HD Softtail
1976 HD Sportster
1973 HD Sportster
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 5:14 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Windshield advice/help needed!

Many thanks to all that replied with suggestions! After the I noticed the that the errant pad was missing, I had to pull the fairing side panels as well as the fuel tank cover - was sure it would turn up somehow then - spent countless time peering around things with a light but to no avail. Finally went to Home Depot as suggested and picked up a few neoprene washers - job done.

It was only AFTER I'd buttoned everything up and pulled the bike outside for a cleaning that, you guessed it - the missing pad decided to reappear on the shop floor!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in