slave cyclinder weep hole - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

slave cyclinder weep hole

Need a little direction here, I'am getting ready to drill a weep hole in the slave cyclinder housing , I've done the seaches for help but still need a little more help. 1. can this be done without removing the slave cyclinder. 2. exaclty where do I drill to miss the seal. 3. any other helpful hints or pictures .

thanks,

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 6:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroa1
Need a little direction here, I'am getting ready to drill a weep hole in the slave cyclinder housing , I've done the seaches for help but still need a little more help. 1. can this be done without removing the slave cyclinder. 2. exaclty where do I drill to miss the seal. 3. any other helpful hints or pictures .

thanks,
I would not try it without removing the slave cylinder first.

There are pictures in a couple threads of where the hole is drilled. It is drilled as far forward on the transmission boss where the cylinder is mounted. Once the slave is removed, it is pretty evident where it will be.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 31 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks David, thay's what I needed to know. I was hoping I didn't have to remove the slave cyclinder (just my lazy side) guess I'll dive into it when the weather warms up, if it ever does. thanks again,

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 7:47 pm

I am not saying it CAN'T be drilled with the slave in place, but don't think I would do it. It is certainly in the realm of possibility though.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #5 of 31 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:27 pm

You didn't indicate the mileage on the bike but David will tell you the slaves do wear out. If you're any where near say 40 or 50K you want to replace the slave cylinder anyway so removing it to drill the hole is no extra work.
post #6 of 31 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
You didn't indicate the mileage on the bike but David will tell you the slaves do wear out. If you're any where near say 40 or 50K you want to replace the slave cylinder anyway so removing it to drill the hole is no extra work.
Good point! I always say to replace the slave as a normal maintenance at somewhere in the 60K range, but there have been a few that failed well before that, so even waiting that long is a gamble.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #7 of 31 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 5:01 am

Thumbs up Pictures

Here are a couple pics from this past November from my bike. One suggestion the only way to drill right next to the trans case is to have a long drill bit. The standard size bit will only allow placement this close to the case which is fine. Included is a picture of my slave cylinder, note how the fluid travels to the back of the cylinder. This supports the fact that hole placement along the cylinder at any point will work. Although further forward the better IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slave Cyl. Leak.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	2635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slave Drain.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	2636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slave Drain 2.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	537.4 KB
ID:	2637   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre removal.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	2638  

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #8 of 31 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 10:22 am

Smile

Great pics Pete!
As a new 05 LT owner I want to accomplish this procedure at the earliest tech session I can attend if possible!!!

Hoping to find a tech session or put one together in the Eastern Wa/Northern ID area this year!

I have found being Proactive is better than Reactive at the worst possible time!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #9 of 31 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 10:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Good point! I always say to replace the slave as a normal maintenance at somewhere in the 60K range, but there have been a few that failed well before that, so even waiting that long is a gamble.

Dave, how much time and effort to replace the slave cylinder itself? Are there some instructions or helpful info listed somewhere. I couldn't any info in the Hall of Wisdom.

Thanks,

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650
post #10 of 31 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 11:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtebeau
Dave, how much time and effort to replace the slave cylinder itself? Are there some instructions or helpful info listed somewhere. I couldn't any info in the Hall of Wisdom.

Thanks,
I think it could be done in 2-4 hours, once you know what to do and have all the proper tools at hand. First time though probably longer.

It is not all that difficult, but there is a learning curve.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #11 of 31 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 2:01 pm

What for?

Why are putting a weep hole in the case?

Goldy.
2005 Ocean Blue (3rd. Time Lucky)
As from 24/03/2007 bikeless but looking forward to new life in France
post #12 of 31 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldy
Why are putting a weep hole in the case?
So the relatively often failure of the clutch slave cylinder does not AUTOMATICALLY take out the clutch. Slave cylinder replacement is probably 2-4 hours, clutch is WAY more, probably 1-2 days, and a LOT more money.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #13 of 31 Old Mar 21st, 2006, 2:42 pm

Quote:
So the relatively often failure of the clutch slave cylinder does not AUTOMATICALLY take out the clutch. Slave cylinder replacement is probably 2-4 hours, clutch is WAY more, probably 1-2 days, and a LOT more money.

Thanks, now I understand.

Goldy.
2005 Ocean Blue (3rd. Time Lucky)
As from 24/03/2007 bikeless but looking forward to new life in France
post #14 of 31 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all, the bike has about 16k on the clock and your right David it probably could be done without removing the slave but with my luck I probably would mess it up( lazy I'am---crazy I'm not) besides I couldn't win the downpayment on a free lunch! Guess I'll pull the slave and drill the hole. Thanks for the pictures Pete they will help.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.

post #15 of 31 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 2:23 pm

Smile clutch fluid slow leak

With the help of this fine board I need to decide if I must stop riding my bike to repair the slave cylinder before it kills my clutch. This is the second time I had to add clutch fluid in 2000 miles. Thanks in advance for any wisdom from the people on this site Dale.

My bike was bought used it is a 2000 with 26000 miles.
post #16 of 31 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 4:46 pm

I would be checking into it at the VERY EARLIEST time possible

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #17 of 31 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 8:32 pm

Get it done now. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200 even though your going to need it. My guess is that you're already well on the way to having a contaminated clutch. Be prepared for a $1500 repair bill. Ask them to replace the rear main engine seal at the same time. You don't want them to have to back in there again, as it will cost you just as much when it lets go. DAMHIK

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #18 of 31 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 9:47 pm

How long does the "average" clutch last riding country/highway miles (40% two up)? Also, does changing the fluid help to minimize the slave cylinder wear out factor?
post #19 of 31 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 10:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
How long does the "average" clutch last riding country/highway miles (40% two up)?
There have been so few worn out, (think you can count them on one hand) we don't have any average. Only very few, and those were at so low mileage there almost had to be something wrong, or they were severely mistreated.
Quote:
Also, does changing the fluid help to minimize the slave cylinder wear out factor?
In short, no.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #20 of 31 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 11:05 pm

Red face bad slave cylinder

Is the slave cylinder behind the swing arm? I will have to do this job myself. I work as a millwright so if it can be done in my garage i will fix it. will I be able to get the parts. Will I need to make special tools

This is a bad time to have my bike down in the middle of the riding season.
Thanks again for any help you can give me.
post #21 of 31 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 11:17 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Hey Dale,

Yes, you can do this in the garage, with a couple of special tools and some patience. Send me an email (click on my user name above) and we can talk details.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #22 of 31 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:00 am

Quote:
There have been so few worn out, (think you can count them on one hand) we don't have any average. Only very few, and those were at so low mileage there almost had to be something wrong, or they were severely mistreated. In short, no.
David, what you are saying is that the clutches are very durable over long hauls and high miles, but the real demon is the slave clutch cylinder piston leaking into the clutch plate area and contaminating the plates?

Thanks
post #23 of 31 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 11:45 am

Quote:
David, what you are saying is that the clutches are very durable over long hauls and high miles, but the real demon is the slave clutch cylinder piston leaking into the clutch plate area and contaminating the plates?

Thanks
Yes. Nearly all the clutch problems other than VERY few have been contamination, either by brake fluid, transmission oil, or engine oil due to leaking seals.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #24 of 31 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 12:00 pm

Smile service manual

What is the fastest way to get a service manual,or the pages of to change out the slave cylinder on my k1200. thanks Dale
post #25 of 31 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 12:36 pm

Maybe I'm missing something , but that looks like it could EASILY be drilled out with out removal of the slave or ANYTHING else with a little care and the bike on a jack.

Maybe I'll be the first one to try it

I like doing things the simplest way possible. Of course I could end up buing a new slave
post #26 of 31 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 12:42 pm

Looking at the pictures .... What is the reason for trying to drill it far forward ?

I would think you'd be better off drilling it closer to the seal (Within a 1/4 - 1/2" ) for the simple fact that forward motion would push the flow of hydraulic back.
post #27 of 31 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 2:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petre
Maybe I'm missing something , but that looks like it could EASILY be drilled out with out removal of the slave or ANYTHING else with a little care and the bike on a jack.

Maybe I'll be the first one to try it

I like doing things the simplest way possible. Of course I could end up buing a new slave
I am sure it can be drilled without removing the slave, but you don't know what any chips you leave inside will do. They could easily either take out the piston seal, or get into the little throwout bearing in the piston causing it so seize. That will spin the piston in the cylinder and cause a total failure of the seal. That happened to mine before I drilled a drain hole.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #28 of 31 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petre
Looking at the pictures .... What is the reason for trying to drill it far forward ?

I would think you'd be better off drilling it closer to the seal (Within a 1/4 - 1/2" ) for the simple fact that forward motion would push the flow of hydraulic back.
Drilling it as far forward as you can does get it closer to the tranny oil seal.

Also, the nose of the cylinder is a fairly close fit to the inside of the bore it goes into, and tapered a little, so drilling the hole forward in the boss gets it into an area with more clearance around the cylinder nose to allow the fluid to flow out easier than it would if drilled toward the back.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #29 of 31 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 4:54 pm

David, thanks for the replys. I appears that I should be able to do the slave clutch replacement given several hours. At what mileage would you say it's best to do the slave? Also, while the beast was in pieces, I would go under the hood and do the air + fuel filter. Would you recommend anything else?
post #30 of 31 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 7:08 pm

Quote:
David, thanks for the replys. I appears that I should be able to do the slave clutch replacement given several hours. At what mileage would you say it's best to do the slave? Also, while the beast was in pieces, I would go under the hood and do the air + fuel filter. Would you recommend anything else?
I have been recommending slave replacement at 60K, although a couple we have done earlier, around 45K, showed signs of leaking.

Actually, you do not remove any of the fairing parts when doing the slave replacement that you have to remove for the other services. The only fairing piece you remove when doing the slave work is the small one in front of the side case on the right side. You remove that when pulling the final drive/swing arm.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #31 of 31 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:09 pm

Thanks David.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in