New LT owner needs info/help please. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 5:33 am Thread Starter

New LT owner needs info/help please.

Hi,

How is everyone doing?

I've read few of the postings & this is a great forum.

I've owned a 1985 BMW 5 series car for the past 11 yrs & it is by far the best car I owned. So for the past 2 yrs I've been looking on and off for a BMW bike.

My previous bike experience was on a Kawazaki 550 LTD, which is a 4 cylinder cruising/touring bike that I rode around for 2 or 3 yrs. And took some long distance rides on it too.

So compared to many of you I don't have much experience. Even though I ride & used to race bicycles & think that contribute to good balance on 2 wheels.

I was looking at the RT, RS and LT's ...basically a touring/long distance bike with luggage.

I was in San Luis Obispo this past weekend & while there I found a 1999 K1200LT with 13K miles on it. The asking price was $6100, I got the bike for $4600....is that a good deal/price ?

Rode it the 200 plus miles home, which was scary at first since this IS a big and heavy bike (I am 6ft, about 155 lbs).

The side cross winds on parts of 101 was moving the bike slightly side to side.

My questions:

1- Is there a secret to getting comfortable with this bike....I certainly don't want to drop it.
Coming to a stop scares me but I am getting more used to it.

2- As I packed out of the driveway yesterday using the reverse gear then back to N, then to 1st gear. The display showed 1st gear but when I released the clutch, nothing happened. It automatically went to N. It did this few times while I am in the middle of the street.

I turned off the bike and tried again & the gear engaged. I didn't have this problem again today.

What happened ?

3- Tried to lift the bike onto the center stand today using the Reverse gear but that didn't work.

The bike is simply too heavy to be lifted onto the center stand by one person. Is there a trick to this ?

Or is the side stand good enough ?

Is it worth the time & money to install the Hydraulic center stand option (not sure how much they sell for)?

4- Is it usual for a 99 bike to have such low mileage ?

5- While I am very familiar & have done most of the repairs on my 535i BMW, I know next to nothing about bike repairs.

Is there anything I should check right away or do ?

The bike rides great & everything seem to work fine.

6- Is there a trick to handling this beast at low speeds ? Anything I can do to get more comfortable with the size and weight ?

7- One thing that concerns me is if I ever take the bike to San Fran and go up those steep hills. Now I drove a stick shift all my life and know how to handle a car uphill but a bike of this size and weight seem different to me.

Any ideas or advice about this?

I am afraid I will roll backwards on the hill & crash onto the car behind me.

Thank you for your help, any info or advice would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 6:11 am

Re: New LT owner needs info/help please.

I had many of the same questions and concerns your having now last year when I got my first LT. Most of your concerns will go away after you get a little more experience on the bike.

The only good advise I can give you as a new LT owner myself is to keep the front wheel straight when coming to a stop. Your going to love your new ride and yes you did get a great deal on yours.
Steve
post #3 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 6:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever
1- Is there a secret to getting comfortable with this bike....I certainly don't want to drop it.
Ride it! If you are not used to such a large, top-heavy bike, ride it in an area without traffic, like an empty parking lot.

Quote:
2- As I packed out of the driveway yesterday using the reverse gear then back to N, then to 1st gear. The display showed 1st gear but when I released the clutch, nothing happened. It automatically went to N. It did this few times while I am in the middle of the street.
Put bike in neutral, roll switch to Reverse, press starter button to engage reverse motion. Reverse uses starter motor, not bike motor/clutch.

Quote:
3- Tried to lift the bike onto the center stand today using the Reverse gear but that didn't work.

The bike is simply too heavy to be lifted onto the center stand by one person. Is there a trick to this ?

Or is the side stand good enough ?

Is it worth the time & money to install the Hydraulic center stand option (not sure how much they sell for)?
Not going to happen.

Foot on center stand "leg," one hand on handlebar grip, other on "lift handle" under/adjacent to seat. push down with foot and pull up and rearward with hands.

Not for my money.

Worth it? Value is up to your perception. Plan on $700-$1500 to do this. I could not ride an LT without one due to injuries, so for me it is essential. Others feel it is a waste and one more expensive part to fail. Is it worth it to you?

I see the low-speed handling has been addressed by another member. You SFO concerns will likely resolve as you gain some time in type.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 7:20 am

Previous replies are all good. I would emphasize that while you are doing parking lot practice, use your front brake carefully. LT's have a tendency to lay down if you hit your front brake too hard while making low speed turns. Anything above parking lot speeds, the front brake is very safe, even preferred, at least by me. There was a hydraulic center stand that sold on eBay yesterday for about $450. However that was just the mechanical part and did not include the electrical controls which your bike does not already have. The hydraulic center stand is great but I never considered installing one on my '00 LT - just thought it would not be worth the trouble or cost. You will be able to manage your center stand with a the proper technique. The bottom line is - just work with your LT - you're going to love it.

Tips
post #5 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 7:20 am

Quote:
Hi,

How is everyone doing?

I've read few of the postings & this is a great forum.

I've owned a 1985 BMW 5 series car for the past 11 yrs & it is by far the best car I owned. So for the past 2 yrs I've been looking on and off for a BMW bike.

My previous bike experience was on a Kawazaki 550 LTD, which is a 4 cylinder cruising/touring bike that I rode around for 2 or 3 yrs. And took some long distance rides on it too.

So compared to many of you I don't have much experience. Even though I ride & used to race bicycles & think that contribute to good balance on 2 wheels.

I was looking at the RT, RS and LT's ...basically a touring/long distance bike with luggage.

I was in San Luis Obispo this past weekend & while there I found a 1999 K1200LT with 13K miles on it. The asking price was $6100, I got the bike for $4600....is that a good deal/price ?

Rode it the 200 plus miles home, which was scary at first since this IS a big and heavy bike (I am 6ft, about 155 lbs).

The side cross winds on parts of 101 was moving the bike slightly side to side.

My questions:

BE SURE TO KEEP THE FRONT WHEEL STRAIGHT WHEN STOPPING. IF YOU HAVE IT TURNED AND HIT THE FRONT BRAKE IT "WILL" GO OVER.

I turned off the bike and tried again & the gear engaged. I didn't have this problem again today.

What happened ?

Or is the side stand good enough ? IF YOU LEAVE IT ON THE SIDE STAND OIL WILL SETTLE IN THE CYLINDERS AND SHE WILL SMOKE WHEN YOU START IT.

Is it worth the time & money to install the Hydraulic center stand option (not sure how much they sell for)? NOT IMHO.

4- Is it usual for a 99 bike to have such low mileage ? NOT REALLY, SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD DEAL. CHANGE ALL THE FLUIDS AND FLUSH THE BRAKES AS A BASE LINE. CHECK THE TIRE DATES AND CHECK FOR DRY ROT, A BIKE THAT OLD WITH ORIGINAL TIRES SHOULD HAVE THEM REPLACED.

5- While I am very familiar & have done most of the repairs on my 535i BMW, I know next to nothing about bike repairs.

Is there anything I should check right away or do ?

The bike rides great & everything seem to work fine.

6- Is there a trick to handling this beast at low speeds ? Anything I can do to get more comfortable with the size and weight ? PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE

7- One thing that concerns me is if I ever take the bike to San Fran and go up those steep hills. Now I drove a stick shift all my life and know how to handle a car uphill but a bike of this size and weight seem different to me. BE WELL EXPERIENCED WITH THE BIKE BEFORE YOU TRY IT. YOUR FEARS ARE WELL FOUNDED.

Any ideas or advice about this?

I am afraid I will roll backwards on the hill & crash onto the car behind me.

Thank you for your help, any info or advice would be helpful.
Welcome aboard AJ, I didn't answer the items that had already been addressed. Sounds like a real good deal if it is in good condition. Practice lots in a empty parking lot and enjoy your ride.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #6 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 9:21 am

I do not know what the percentage is among owners sidestand versus centerstand but I always leave mine on the sidestand other than when working on it and live with the occasional time it smokes on start up, got used to that with the K100.

you cannot reverse onto the centerstand because the rear wheel comes off the ground

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #7 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 9:27 am

AJ,

With regard to putting it on the center stand, for me it is a matter of focusing on putting the bike "back" onto the center stand rather than "up" on the center stand. In other words the focus of your efforts, while pushing down with your foot and lifting with your right hand should be on moving the bike backwards onto the center stand. I use my right foot on the center stand pointing to the rear of the bike.

Hope this helps.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #8 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 9:57 am

I also have a '99 LT. I also got it for what I consider a steal...until I saw your price that is! Mine had 63K on it when I bought it, ABS was non-functional, and the radio didn't work...and I paid $4000.

STILL an amazing bike for that amount though. I challenge anyone to find such a fine motorcycle at that price! Honestly, I've never had ABS or a radio before on a bike, so this wasn't that much of a stretch and wound up being cheaper than I've ever paid for a bike. I wouldn't trade it for anything...except a free GTL! Any takers?

Anyway...good posts above. Pay close attention to keeping the front straight when stopping and you'll have very little issues at all. My only tip over was at Deals Gap (Tail of the Dragon) when stopping on a sideways hill (high side to my right and low side to my left). I usually stop by only putting one foot down, my left. At this place, I put my left foot down and there was nothing there. As the bike started leaning to the left, there was still nothing there (Tells you how steep this "hill" was). By the time my foot reached something hard the bike's leaning was was too much to handle and over she went. Luckily, there were plenty of bikers around to help me lift her back up. Nothing damaged but my ego! Another testament to a great design on the bike.

As far as the center stand, I too have difficulty with it. I've only done it successfully once by myself. I had my wife help me yesterday so I could get the rear tire off to go get some new rubber. With help, it was easy. I only weigh about 170 at 5'10", so I've contributed it to not weighing enough to get her up. But, one of the posters above mentioned pulling toward the back of the bike...I've been stepping properly and pulling up, but not necessarily backwards. I'll be trying that soon. But, I've only had one scare on the side stand and that was parked on another hill where the left side was higher than the right side. I thought it was fine until I got off the bike and she started to fall to the right...luckily I caught her before she went too far. There are a lot of complaints about the stubby kick stand, but when you calculate your parking this really isn't an issue.

Getting comfortable at parking lot speeds? Just practice. I got Jerry "Motorman" Palladino's Ride Like a Pro DVD and book and it has helped me tremendously in slow speed maneuvers. Check out the pdf attachments. Our FAITH Riders group at church did a Skills Day event and this was the map/instruction sheet for the event. I can give you dimensions on each event if you have some cones to set up. You can get 4 cones at Wal-mart for something like $7. Or get a bunch of tennis balls and cut them in half. Anyway, this sort of stuff helps, but it takes time and practice.

Skills Day Map by 1worshipguy1, on Flickr

Skills Day Instructions by 1worshipguy1, on Flickr

With reverse, I hardly ever use it. It is very helpful when I need it though. I just make sure I park in such a way to never need it...but knowing I have the option to use it if there's no other option is a huge relief. As far as it not going into gear after using reverse...never had that problem but it does occasionally not like to go into first early in the morning. Then I just talk real sweet to her and she goes into gear...j/k...playing with the clutch a little and manually rolling her forward or backward while trying to tap down into first usually does the trick for me.

Rolling backwards on hills...knowing you drive a manual auto, I'm sure you've used the emergency brake on hills...then release the brake when you feel the sweet spot in the clutch. I do similar on the LT but with my rear brake engaged until I feel the sweet spot take over and then release the brake. On the steepest of hills, you'll need to keep revs a little higher, but you know this since you drive a manual. Same philosophy.

And last piece of advice as many have said over many forum topics..."Ride it like you stole it" (cause you did at that price!)

Enjoy the best motorcycle you can find!

Associate Pastor, Pickens, SC
Director of F.A.I.T.H. Riders Ministry at my church

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure - White (easily my favorite bike to date!)
'07 Honda Gold Wing - Metallic Silver
'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'06 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Midnight Custom
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'04 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Classic
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX
post #9 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 9:57 am

Ride ride ride and ride some more. You will quickly become accustomed to the size and weight. You made a good choice in that your bike does not have linked(front and rear) brakes nor does it have power assist. The older bikes are not nearly as critical about the front brake at low speeds as they don't have the assist.

It is NOT difficult to put the bike on the center stand IF you have the ride height cranked up a bit. There is a knurled knob under the driver seat that adjusts the height. The reservoir needs to be topped up on occaision in order to give proper clearance. The springs also sag over time which exacerbates the problem. You can find out how to add oil to the adjuster by searching on ride height oil. 10 minutes to top it off.

It seems like you got a good buy. Enjoy your new scooter. You will love it!

One last thought. Some folks back the rear wheel onto a 2x4 to get the height they need for an easy lift onto the center stand.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #10 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 10:56 am

with regards to the center stand. I have also had trouble at time getting her up. To make things MUCH easier, I always park in my garage with a 1/4 in. piece of plywood under the rear tire. She goes up without any problem at all! Give it a try. It it is still difficult, try a 1/2 in. piece. It really only takes a bit of practice.

Loren, yes I'm back in this hemisphere! Had a great trip and drove over 5,000 miles throughout New Zealand. I do wish I had my motorcycle with me! Oh yeah, I forgot to check and see what way the water swirls in the toilet when it was flushed. I always hate to look in there!

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom
post #11 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 10:57 am

Angry Re: New LT owner needs info/help please.

Oh, I see the map part on my sig is gone again. I give up on trying to keep the D#!n thing there!

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
post #12 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 10:58 am

Sounds like a super deal to me and I got my 02 LTE for 3500..but it does need a clutch replaced..which I will be doing right away.
As for being on hills, get used to using that rear brake, if you don't already..guy I ride with never seems to use his, putting both feet on the ground at a stop..Been after him to keep that right foot on the brake and only use the left to hold the bike up..We both have VALKYRIE's, which are big heavy beasts though about 50 lbs lighter than the LT's.
Practice, practice, practice.

02 K1200LTE (103K)
01 Honda Valkyrie (49K)
1998 Goldwing Aspencade (58K)
65 Chevelle coupe
USAF, E7 retired
(509-760-6382) if you are in the area and need help
post #13 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 11:07 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have driven the hills of San Francisco and I have 72K and 8 years on my LT and I won't do a few of them on the bike. It is just too hard especially those up Russian Hill.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Congrats on a great deal....Like Loren said, the only technique I know of to get comfortable with the big girl is to just ride the piss out of it...take it everywhere, the more you ride, the more comfortable you will be with the weight....But..you do have to respect the fact that when she decides to take a nap, just step to one side, cause you ain't gonna stop it...not even. There is a good video of a gal picking up a motorcycle using the proper technique on You Tube, check it out.. As far a SF, well, SF is all about those damn hills, you have 2 places you can put your brakes on at, hand and foot. or if you are really in a bind, just shut her off in gear, then brake, clutch, start and go....PRACTICE!!! As far as the center stand, it is all about technique, not brute force. You need to keep your tires inflated properly, 42 front 48 rear, jack your suspension up as far as it will go( knob under the seat all the way down) then get a friend to help you support the bike on the right side, put your foot on the center stand, rock the bike a little to make sure you are on both feet of the stand, grab the handle under the seat, with your right hand, or use the handle on top of the side case, push down on the stand with your right foot, and pull up on the handle (other hand on the left handle grip) practice it a few times, and you will begin to feel the dynamics of how the bike rolls up on the stand. to get it off the stand, I just get on and rock the bike forward, controlling the drop off the stand with my hand brake....Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #15 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 3:55 pm

AJ

Welcome

Your fairly close, I live in Brentwood. If you have time any weekend take a ride out and we'll a short tech session once over on your LT.
Just send me a PM.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #16 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 5:01 pm

OK..............Now you have heard all of the basics from most of the BEST.............

Let me now add that after you have developed a little bit of comfort..........and have practiced your drills...............

just, and I must emphasis, "RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT"................

Surrender to the fact that you may lay it over in a parking lot.........that is why the engineers placed such an excellent tip over wing design on this machine.........after all, if you can afford these marvelous pieces of engineering brilliance, you can afford, at a later date of course, to replace those cheesy little rubber skids some time down the road after you have learned why they were placed in such a strategic location.................

You, my new amigo, are about to depart on the adventure of your here to fore, boring existence...............enjoy.........

Once you have become familiar with this work of art..............you will feel like nothing on earth, on two wheels, will threaten your place in the food chain...........

always, B-Safe, .................and do enjoy..................Jim

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #17 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 6:11 pm

Quote:

What happened ?
What happened here is that the LT's transmission is not syncronized and you weren't fully into first gear. When going from neutral to 1st gear it can help to just slightly let out the clutch while shifting. This will get you solidly into gear. Then, when upshifting, preload the gearshift with your foot just prior to pulling in the clutch. This will give you a nice solid shift and you'll avoid spending too much time with the clutch disengaged (which is what gets the gears out of sync).

'15 GTLE

post #18 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 6:14 pm

x2 and a fine point you made Steve................

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #19 of 45 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Ride ride ride and ride some more.
+ 1 to infinity and beyond!

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #20 of 45 Old Mar 1st, 2012, 1:00 am

I bought myLT in 2001, and I still get the beast onto the center stand. If I gave to get her up I place a 2 foot piece of 2X4 right behind the rear tire, use reverse, and as she goes back stnad on the center stabd, She usuallt gies up.
Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #21 of 45 Old Mar 1st, 2012, 6:19 am Thread Starter

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome...I really feel the love in this forum, and for all the great advice and pointers. I will read everything again and put it into practice,

Today (after reading the recommendations for tire pressure), I checked it & it was more than 10 psi too low (I drove it like this for 200 miles). Inflating the tires made things a bit easier.
Even though the front end seems noisy now....strange. I have to double check on this.

When I go from "N" down to 1st gear, usually there is an audible click. Sometimes the audible click is not there and the gear does not go into first.

I will be reading the manuals to find out where everything is and will check all the fluids, perhaps it is a case of low Gear oil. At least I am hoping it is nothing serious.

I also have to find out how to lift the driver seat to adjust the height as some of you have suggested.

The previous owner have lifted the seat but I was looking at something else so not sure how he did that.

Does this bike have adjustable seat height ?

I assume the handle bars are adjustable too? I need to bring them backward a bit so my arms are not fully extended.

Thanks everyone, you're amazing.
AJ.
post #22 of 45 Old Mar 1st, 2012, 6:26 am

REad the FAQ's, I found two things that helped my shifting technique: I had a peg lowering kit, but the branke and shifter hadn't been likewise adjusted. Removing the lowering kit on a whim, and preloading the shifter before grabbing the clutch (apply light pressure to the shifter, THEN clutch) made the transmission get NICE and NOTCHY.

Raise your seat and you'll find the metal 'stand' at the back of the seat rotates to one of two positions. Higher or lower.

I have the pegs in the stock location, the seat at the highest position, I'm 6'6" and I'm relatively comfortable, but I've only gone a couple hours at a time. I figure a slightly higher windshield and a slightly higher seat would make it an all-day ride.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #23 of 45 Old Mar 1st, 2012, 6:38 am

Open the left side saddle bag. You should see a black knob in the upper left of the compartment. Pull it to release the seat. Then you can lift the seat.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #24 of 45 Old Mar 1st, 2012, 7:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
REad the FAQ's, I found two things that helped my shifting technique: I had a peg lowering kit, but the branke and shifter hadn't been likewise adjusted. Removing the lowering kit on a whim, and preloading the shifter before grabbing the clutch (apply light pressure to the shifter, THEN clutch) made the transmission get NICE and NOTCHY.

Raise your seat and you'll find the metal 'stand' at the back of the seat rotates to one of two positions. Higher or lower.

I have the pegs in the stock location, the seat at the highest position, I'm 6'6" and I'm relatively comfortable, but I've only gone a couple hours at a time. I figure a slightly higher windshield and a slightly higher seat would make it an all-day ride.
If you still have that peg lowering kit, I would be interested in purchasing it from you.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #25 of 45 Old Mar 1st, 2012, 7:57 am

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the community. Like others have said, ride it and you will get comfortable with it. For the center stand, I'm going to try the plywood trick. I've tried a couple of the suggestions on this board, but the thing that works for me is to:
grab handlebar left hand
grab lift handle under seat right hand
lift bike off of side stand
step on center stand right foot
push down until contact on floor/ground
face rear of bike and stand up and pull up with both hands, the key for me was try and get my hips and shoulders moving towards the rear of the bike. Seems to go up a lot easier than before.
Enjoy your ride!
FD
post #26 of 45 Old Mar 1st, 2012, 11:19 am

Unfortunately, we can't pull the handle bars back.

People on the forum suggested I get a back rest instead of trying to fool around extending the handle bars.

It worked for me.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #27 of 45 Old Mar 1st, 2012, 4:14 pm

hi BMW, I also found the bike to be very heavy when I first started to ride it. But one of the things I found to make it easy especially riding in the city when not traveling, remove the rear top box it's only four screws and unplugg the light underneath the rear seat. That's about 30 pounds off of the motorcycle. It rides so much better with it off.if you want to know how to do this just do a search for removing the top box. Welcome to this forum I've been helped by these people so many times I can't tell you how valuable their information is. I also bought a two disc set from Paul Seyeghs Video that is a wealth of information.
post #28 of 45 Old Mar 1st, 2012, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info.

So I tried to lift the bike onto the center stand today, no such luck, not without getting a Hernia :-)

I will try again.

I looked through the supplied manuals (the small booklets) but could not find what kind of Coolant the bike takes as the level is on the low side.

I assume it takes the same coolant as the car, diluted 50/50 ??

Thank you for the help.
post #29 of 45 Old Mar 1st, 2012, 10:01 pm

My apologies if somebody already mentioned it before, but ALWAYS put it into 1st gear and roll to compression when using the side stand
post #30 of 45 Old Mar 1st, 2012, 10:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd987
My apologies if somebody already mentioned it before, but ALWAYS put it into 1st gear and roll to compression when using the side stand
And it is always best to learn important things like this by heeding wise counsel rather than the way I learned it at a pull off on the Cherohala Skyway.

Tips
post #31 of 45 Old Mar 1st, 2012, 11:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd987
I don't even know what that means ?

"Roll to compression" ??

Can you please explain ?
post #32 of 45 Old Mar 1st, 2012, 11:34 pm

Maybe you should have bought the LT with the optional automatic transmission.

(sorry, could not resist)

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #33 of 45 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 3:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Maybe you should have bought the LT with the optional automatic transmission.

(sorry, could not resist)

Automatic transmission !! I never liked those, not even in cars. I learned how to drive on a stick shift, my car is a stick shift. I HATE automatics. In fact I wish the bike had an actual stick shift instead of a foot shift.

Shifting is not the problem, I've owned a bike before, this is not my first bike. But this is the first bike I've ridden where the first gear often doesn't go in. Sometimes it shows it is in 1st gear, I release the clutch but the bike does not go....it is in Neutral. Perhaps it is a quirk on this bike or something that needs repair, I don't know.
post #34 of 45 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 7:27 am

"Roll to compression"

The idea is to prevent the bike rolling forwards, and falling as the side-stand retracts - could easily happen if it's facing even slightly downhill when on the side-stand.

The procedure is to come to a halt where you want to park and, with the bike in first gear and the engine stopped, allow it to roll forward as far as it can. This won't be very far at all,
hence "rolling to compression"

As it's in gear, the rear wheel will be turning the engine as you roll it forwards, and the engine will stop turning when a piston reaches it's compression. At this point, extend the side-stand and lean the bike over onto it.

The compression on one piston is sufficient to prevent the bike moving forwards at all.

Hope that's useful.

Cheers, StClair

1977 Honda CB400F Super Sport
2007 G650 Xcountry
2008 K1200LT SE
1990 Kawasaki GTR 1000 (Concours) + Hedingham XL
1952 Francis Barnett Falcon 58
post #35 of 45 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 7:36 am

3 shaft transmission, no synchro, need to be applying pressure to shift lever before touching clutch lever, if stopped, while applying pressure slip clutch a bit - same as some car and truck standards but better to always shift while moving

roll to compression means move the bike in gear, engine stopped, until bike stops then rest on sidestand

my bike much easier to put on center stand since replacing soft stock springs with Hyperpro - of course the bike sitting higher means I need longer legs

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #36 of 45 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 7:48 am

Quote:
Thanks for all the info.

So I tried to lift the bike onto the center stand today, no such luck, not without getting a Hernia :-)

I will try again.

I looked through the supplied manuals (the small booklets) but could not find what kind of Coolant the bike takes as the level is on the low side.

I assume it takes the same coolant as the car, diluted 50/50 ??

Thank you for the help.
When putting the bike up on the center stand, try using the handle on the side case with your right hand instead of the handle under the seat, it is much more ergonomically positioned. Put the stand down to the floor with your right foot and balance the bike side to side till you feel both feet of the stand contact the floor, then start to lift and apply YOUR weight with your right foot on the center stand. You actually rock the bike up on to the stand. It doesn't take nearly as much effort as you may think. Remember, you will be using your weight rather than just lifting. Hope I splained this understandable?

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #37 of 45 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 12:18 pm

Again,to get her up on the center stand , try the plywood under the rear tire! I use the side stand most the time while riding. I just let the oil drain down a bit before resting her down to prevent smoke on start up. I carry the piece of plywood always because I never know when I may "have To" get her up for some maintenance. I'm not a big guy and do not have the best back soooo I do not want to hurt myself.

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
post #38 of 45 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 1:37 pm

The 6 years that I rode my '00 LT, I put it on the centerstand whenever it was practicable, probably 90% of the time. My technique was the same as others have described. I pulled with the grab handle on the left side case rather than the one under the seat which just seemed awkward. The sidecase never suffered from the experience. Sometimes the bike would pop right up and other times it was a struggle. If the bike was pointing downhill it was harder and if it was pointing uphill, it was easy. Oh and, it's not a good idea to put it on the centerstand on a surface that is not level side to side. The sidestand can be a little scary in that situation, too. It doesn't seem like a few 32nds of height could make much difference in getting it on the centerstand. But I could tell a difference when my tread was getting thin. Adjusting the rear shock makes a difference,too. More helps, less hurts.

Tips
post #39 of 45 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StClair
"Roll to compression"

The idea is to prevent the bike rolling forwards, and falling as the side-stand retracts - could easily happen if it's facing even slightly downhill when on the side-stand.

The procedure is to come to a halt where you want to park and, with the bike in first gear and the engine stopped, allow it to roll forward as far as it can. This won't be very far at all,

As it's in gear, the rear wheel will be turning the engine as you roll it forwards, and the engine will stop turning when a piston reaches it's compression. At this point, extend the side-stand and lean the bike over onto it.

The compression on one piston is sufficient to prevent the bike moving forwards at all.

Hope that's useful.
So "Roll to compression" is basically the same as when I park my 5 speed car in 1st gear instead of in Neutral.

I did not know what that term meant. Thank you.
post #40 of 45 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 7:31 pm

I believe RonMiller's ergo expert instructed to use the saddlebag handle and place your left foot on the stand tang, correct me if im wrong Ron.

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,

CMTO 8 yrs

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
post #41 of 45 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 9:41 pm

Garage

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of LT. The previous poster has pegged on the way i get mine on center stand. I have tried several times with right foot and almost tipped bike over and using two people isn't an option most times. Came to the site and searched til i found the advice to use left foot on stand, left hand on handlebar and right hand on grab bar below seat. For me after that its just stand up straight and bike goes up. Now that i can do it i rarely use it anymore.

On another note, it will take a short time to get comfy maneuvering the beast but it sure is fun.

I didn't notice anyone mention it yet so i will. You will lay the bike down. Dont even worry about it.

Again welcome and congrats on the bike.

2000 K 1200LTC "Luci"
1983 Honda V-65 Magna VF 1100C (sold)
1978 Suzuki GS-1000 (sold)
Prentiss MS USA
post #42 of 45 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Quote:
So "Roll to compression" is basically the same as when I park my 5 speed car in 1st gear instead of in Neutral.

I did not know what that term meant. Thank you.
That's exactly right - glad you found it useful

Cheers, StClair

1977 Honda CB400F Super Sport
2007 G650 Xcountry
2008 K1200LT SE
1990 Kawasaki GTR 1000 (Concours) + Hedingham XL
1952 Francis Barnett Falcon 58
post #43 of 45 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 4:14 am Thread Starter

Hi,

How is everyone doing?

Few more questions please:

1- Does the 1999 K1200LT bike use the same Oil as a car.? I have some synthtic Oil that I used in my 85 BMW 535i.

Is Synthtic oil better for the bike than regular Oil?

My goal here is to avoid (If I can) buy the special bike Oils sold at Bike shops, if I can use Car oil sold at Kragens...etc.

2- Does the bike take regular Coolant? Again, the same used in a car or does it need a special coolant?

3- This evening once again, I had a lot of trouble with getting the bike into the reverse gear. It simply will not go into it. After several tries, it did.

Is this an indication of any problem ?

Thank you SO much.
post #44 of 45 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 5:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by StClair
"Roll to compression"

Hope that's useful.
Good idea when the bike facing on a downward slope. If you're facing up when parked on a hil, I would recommend letting the back tire bump against a curb ortherwise the engine will be loaded in the reverse direction of rotation. This can cause slop on the drive side of the cam chain leading to the cam(s) to jump a tooth. More of an issue with blet driven cams as compared to chain drive but still something to think about.
post #45 of 45 Old Mar 7th, 2012, 7:47 am

Quote:
Hi,

How is everyone doing?

Few more questions please:

1- Does the 1999 K1200LT bike use the same Oil as a car.? I have some synthtic Oil that I used in my 85 BMW 535i.

Is Synthtic oil better for the bike than regular Oil?

My goal here is to avoid (If I can) buy the special bike Oils sold at Bike shops, if I can use Car oil sold at Kragens...etc.

2- Does the bike take regular Coolant? Again, the same used in a car or does it need a special coolant?

3- This evening once again, I had a lot of trouble with getting the bike into the reverse gear. It simply will not go into it. After several tries, it did.

Is this an indication of any problem ?

Thank you SO much.
Quite a few oil threads already on this site, not much I can add that has not already been said a bazillion times before.

Also, and this is just a personal opinion, please consider starting a new thread titled to reflect your query rather than adding question after question on new topics to a single thread. It keeps the threads focused, and it also makes finding the information via the search facilities of this site even easier.

I remember transitioning to my first LT. Like you, I had so many questions, and the great folks who are part of this community were of tremendous help and inspiration. I hope you feel the same value in your association here, and that you become (if not already) a supporting member who "helps keep the lights on" so that all may benefit.

Welcome to the world of LT!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in