Newbie (here) considering a 1999 K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Newbie (here) considering a 1999 K1200LT

Hi all, I've been riding for a while: started with a 650CSR Kawasaki in the early eighties; switched to a 94 Harley Heritage Classic, then an 03 BMW R1150R and now a 03 Harley Sportster I've had converted to an old school rigid bobber (which will be with me till the day I can't ride). I have my eye on a 1999 K1200LT with 61K miles and am hoping all y'all can give me an idea of what to be on the look out for with this bike....any known 'gotcha's' or some problem consistent with this particular year.

Thanks in advance!
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Re: Newbie (here) considering a 1999 K1200LT

The 99 is a good bike, as are all years of the LT. Maintenance records are helpful, a list of what has been replaced/serviced. Has the bike been stored for a while? If so, any fuel stabilizer added? How does it run? Normal bike stuff.

Final drive is one of the big buggers, and clutch and/or slave problems can also be a real PITA (and expensive if you do not do it yourself). Brake lines have been an issue for some LTs, and climate band as well as indoor or outdoor storage can be a factor.

There are many here who have forgotten more than I know about wrenching an LT, and some of them will likely chime in on this thread. You can also check the Hall of Wisdom and technical documents on tho site, and the search feature may also be quite handy to you.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 8:54 pm

These should bring you up to speed:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=2000LT

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...highlight=1999

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 43 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsndscrn
=and now a 03 Harley Sportster I've had converted to an old school rigid bobber (which will be with me till the day I can't ride). =

Thanks in advance!
Bill
You've got the right idea about that Sportster, Bill - hang on to that baby. I wish I still had mine. It was my first motorcycle, a '60 XLCH that I customized (rigid and raked) beyond rideability. It looked great and sounded even better. I would love to have it now to fire it up and blast down to the cantina and back. For anything further though, I gotta have the LT.

Tips
post #5 of 43 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 5:25 am

Go for it!!
post #6 of 43 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 7:49 am

Welcome aboard Bill. I think Tony & Bob have pretty well covered your questions. There is a lot of reading material on this forum and if you can't find what you are looking for, just ask. Members here are not short on opinions and advice. I like my 99 just fine and a plus for me is that it DOES NOT have integrated brake system. Makes things much simpler. Best wishes

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #7 of 43 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Most LT's 2003 or newer don't have the rear drive failure concern.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA
post #8 of 43 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 1:42 pm

And, if you do a pre-emptive rebuild [less than $100 with local member assistance or with instructions from this web sight] you'll likely have no problems with the final drive. Mines a 2000...also non-linked brakes and simpler abs and no servo assist...all positive points to me.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #9 of 43 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 2:28 pm

The bike has 98,000 KMs on it and I love it! I put 21,000KM on my 99 and so far I had to replace 1 front brake line, fork seals and starter relay due to old style welding itself in the on position. Easy to work on when you get past all the plastic.
post #10 of 43 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 7:22 am Thread Starter

Hey! Thanks all, I've been tied up with some family issues & would have thanked y'all sooner. Well, between the family stuff and my waffling about whether or not I should buy it....someone else bought it (1999 with 61K miles $5995) I see another one 2000 K1200Lt-S with 48K miles $6995. I'm thinking I want to find a 'C'ustom primarily for the heated seat since one of the primary reasons for buying the bike is to increase the number of days I ride (I don't mind riding in the rain except my current bike has no front fender or windscreen, nor do I mind riding in the cold (live in Cleveland, Ohio) a fairing & heated seat will make it more comfortable).

I am primarily searching Ebay and Cycletrader online for bikes....any other sources that anyone would recommend?

Thanks again all!
post #11 of 43 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 7:35 am

Garage

The classifieds on this site. Good luck.

Marvin
2003 K1200 LTC
1967 Honda SS125
1964 Honda 90
2008 R1200RT.. Sold
post #12 of 43 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 8:01 am

Quote:
Hey! Thanks all, I've been tied up with some family issues & would have thanked y'all sooner. Well, between the family stuff and my waffling about whether or not I should buy it....someone else bought it (1999 with 61K miles $5995) I see another one 2000 K1200Lt-S with 48K miles $6995. I'm thinking I want to find a 'C'ustom primarily for the heated seat since one of the primary reasons for buying the bike is to increase the number of days I ride (I don't mind riding in the rain except my current bike has no front fender or windscreen, nor do I mind riding in the cold (live in Cleveland, Ohio) a fairing & heated seat will make it more comfortable).

I am primarily searching Ebay and Cycletrader online for bikes....any other sources that anyone would recommend?

Thanks again all!
Sent you a PM

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #13 of 43 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 8:06 am

Quote:

Thanks again all!
Based on what others have been posting, those prices seem a little on the high side. Check the classified on this site, and there is also craigslist.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #14 of 43 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 8:19 am

I ride mine daily year round except for the very few days we have ice or snow on the roads. We do get some rain here in the Portland, OR area and as long as the idiots in the cages roll along at 15 mph or so I don't get wet. Unbelievable weather protection. Being able to lower the wind screen in the summer for increased airflow is a big help too.

You need to find one soon so you can start to wear the goofy grin we all get when we ride.

Loren

Quote:

Thanks again all!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #15 of 43 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 12:14 pm

Quote:

Thanks again all!

I hate it that you didn't get the bike, however it may be that your loss was in fact my gain. This sounds like the bike I just bought from All Seasons two weeks ago. I've put about a hundred miles on it so far and after 23yrs of Harleys, I'm lovin it. Can't wait for the regular warmer temps.... Best wishes on your search.
post #16 of 43 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 12:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyT4Bass
This sounds like the bike I just bought from All Seasons two weeks ago. I've put about a hundred miles on it so far and after 23yrs of Harleys, I'm lovin it.
A hundred miles in two weeks??? Typical H-D rider!

That is what a typical LT rider does BEFORE even stopping for that first cup of coffee. I bet you were able to cover eight or nine biker's bars for cold brewskies in those hundred miles, though.

Kidding aside, welcome to the neighborhood from one former Harley driver to another. I DO miss my FLHRCI, she was a one of a kind beauty. I love my LTs, though, the sure are a one of a kind riding machine.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #17 of 43 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 1:02 pm

Well, NO cold brewskies here. It's still 34 degrees in the mornings with a couple days in those two weeks hitting 45 or up. Now if I lived in Texas, I'd ride 200 miles each way to work everyday on this beast. Never would have happened on the HOG. I tried to get with my other three local K1200 owners and found 1 still had his bike in storage; 1 was here at work with me and the other... Was on his way back from Texas on his bike.
post #18 of 43 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 1:16 pm

Ya mine is still in under cover in the garage. Can't wait for spring. Or at least more than one warm hour in a row. Crazy Ohio weather. Warm rainy, sunny cold , warm windy, then snow.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #19 of 43 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 12:32 am Thread Starter

Well, I am making a little trip next wekend to take a look at another 1999 with the intent of making a purchase!!!
Re: a hundred miles or so in two weeks...hell! I put about 100 mi (round trip) the last time I had my rigid out....told the wife I was going out for a beer
post #20 of 43 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 12:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyT4Bass
I hate it that you didn't get the bike, however it may be that your loss was in fact my gain. This sounds like the bike I just bought from All Seasons two weeks ago. I've put about a hundred miles on it so far and after 23yrs of Harleys, I'm lovin it. Can't wait for the regular warmer temps.... Best wishes on your search.
Yep, Tim, I do believe that was the bike! I just waffled too long...good for you Tim! What do you think of the dealer (All Seasons)?
post #21 of 43 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 5:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Based on what others have been posting, those prices seem a little on the high side. Check the classified on this site, and there is also craigslist.
recommending this site for lower prices is too funny!
Along that note, allow me to digress for a brief moment- the way this site does their classifieds is absurd. There should be a way to delete the ad once the item is sold. Should be way too easy!

Now then, back to topic: I found my 99 K1200LT recently, practically in my backyard, and I think I used it with www.searchtempest.com, which is really cool in that it's a search engine to look at all craigslists within a given radius. It also gives related ebay ads and amazon ads, if desired. you can look from 25 miles to any distance. I've found this to be by far the best way to gauge what the market is at least asking for, price wise. I had intended to fly in and ride out. Matter of fact, that's how I found my 08 anniversary wideglide w/ 409 miles back in May 2010 up in Michigan.

don't know which trim package, but my 99 LT has heated grips, chrome mirrors and covers, intercom, CB, cassette, and 6 CD changer, along with the other standard equipment. bought it w/ just over 36K miles, and good tires for $5,000. Paint is good- no major scratches, and everything works on it, including the final drive and reverse.
Even has the various little manuals and tool kit.

There was even a bonus of six pretty good CDs already loaded, including one of my favorite artists- Gary Stewart (I copied the CDs and had the wife mail the originals back to the seller).

Only con is no heated seats, but I live in Texas, and seats are too easy to change.

Oh, the seller was just as nice and easy to deal with as one could ask for. I was out of the country at the time, but he held it for a $500 deposit till I showed up two weeks later to test drive it, pay him his asking price and drive off into the warm January Texas sky.

I would have liked the extra features of the newer ones, such as the integrated brakes and electric kickstand, but as others have mentioned, I realized sooner or later this stuff would break, and I'd be pitching a fit to beat the band (and this is before you factor in the price of replacement parts).

In conclusion, I'm ecstatic. I got a very good deal with the bells and whistles (ya'll call them farkels?) I wanted most.

Moral of the story- there are deals out there if you're patient and willing to travel- with my last bike, it was only 100 miles round trip.
post #22 of 43 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 7:59 am

Quote:
Yep, Tim, I do believe that was the bike! I just waffled too long...good for you Tim! What do you think of the dealer (All Seasons)?

I actually bought this bike on Feb 16th. It took them forever to take down the add.

I was pleased with All Seasons. They even let me use their trailer to take the bike home. I live 40 miles away and agreed to bring it back that evening. They didn't even bat an eye.

Hope you get the next one.
post #23 of 43 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 8:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
recommending this site for lower prices is too funny!
Along that note, allow me to digress for a brief moment- the way this site does their classifieds is absurd. There should be a way to delete the ad once the item is sold. Should be way too easy!
HEADLINE: Free Member Gripes About Free Classified Ads

Ads can be marked as sold, easy as can be. Granted, the link is not as obvious as it could be (icon only), but rolling the mouse over the icons under the ad allow for multiple functions, including flagging as sold.

As for prices, while many users may list their bikes at prices higher than you think they are worth, how else might one know of the bike, or accessory for that matter, being available if not listed elsewhere. The final price is always agreed upon between buyer and seller. It would not surprise me is most items listed for sale sell below the original asking price. Depends on how motivated the buyer and seller are to consummate the deal.

Just saying'

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #24 of 43 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Quote:

Thanks again all!

Try using www.searchtempest.com It is a tool that amplifies the search tools of craigslist. I use it often.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #25 of 43 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

Whoo Hoo! Think I've found it! One of the fine members here reached out to me with a offer to sell their 1999 K1200LT. I just reserved a U-haul trailer (5x9 with ramp and built in motorcycle wheel chock) for this weekend to drive down to the Eastern seaboard of Virginia and check it out....."Happy dance!"
post #26 of 43 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 8:48 pm

Nice! Good luck.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #27 of 43 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi
Try using www.searchtempest.com It is a tool that amplifies the search tools of craigslist. I use it often.

Hmmmm Seems like I mentioned the same thing two posts back- just not as concise.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #28 of 43 Old Mar 6th, 2012, 7:50 am

Quote:
Whoo Hoo! Think I've found it! One of the fine members here reached out to me with a offer to sell their 1999 K1200LT. I just reserved a U-haul trailer (5x9 with ramp and built in motorcycle wheel chock) for this weekend to drive down to the Eastern seaboard of Virginia and check it out....."Happy dance!"

Happy Hunting!

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #29 of 43 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 2:31 pm

I thought I would follow-up on this post since there are several new Ohio owners posting. We (my husband bought it- I found it and search online for info and tips) just brought home a 2001 custom with the heated seats(one of those really want to have on my list) It has 53,000 miles and we found it in Hartville from a private owner. This is my husbands first motorcycle, we have a burgman 400 now. Some friends are into touring and since both kids are now in college we decided to do some fun things for ourselves. We are so excited! We live in Lexington so maybe we will see the person from Mansfield out and about.

Last edited by deblog; Mar 17th, 2012 at 3:31 pm.
post #30 of 43 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 8:54 pm

Quote:

Bill,

Down to the Triumph and hack only?

I don't think I am allowed to talk to you anymore.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #31 of 43 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 12:33 am

You are a good wife for helping your husband find an LT! Now that I think of it there just might be a little something in it for you too. Especially if you've spent some time on the back of the Burgmann! You will both love the room and comfort of the LT. Just give him a little time to get used to the weight and handling. When you first start riding one they are intimidating due to the sheer size! They are large but really nothing to fear. I rode mine with the sidecar on it for 3 weeks before I finally got up enough nerve to ride it on 2 wheels. What a difference! I still use the sidecar if I need the extra carrying capacity or if someone fears the "tipping qualities" of 2 wheels. Have a great time with your new ride!
@
Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblog
I thought I would follow-up on this post since there are several new Ohio owners posting. We (my husband bought it- I found it and search online for info and tips) just brought home a 2001 custom with the heated seats(one of those really want to have on my list) It has 53,000 miles and we found it in Hartville from a private owner. This is my husbands first motorcycle, we have a burgman 400 now. Some friends are into touring and since both kids are now in college we decided to do some fun things for ourselves. We are so excited! We live in Lexington so maybe we will see the person from Mansfield out and about.

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #32 of 43 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 12:38 am

You are a good wife for helping your husband find an LT! Now that I think of it there just might be a little something in it for you too" Especially if you've spent some time on the back of the Burgmann! You will both love the room and comfort of the LT. Just give him a little time to get used to the weight and handling. When you first start riding one the are intimidating do the sheer size! They are large but really nothing to fear. I rode mine with the sidecar on it for 3 weeks before I finally got up enough nerve to ride it on 2 wheels. What a difference! I still use the sidecar if I need the extra carrying capacity or if someone fears the "tipping qualities" of 2 wheels. Have a great time with your new ride!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblog

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #33 of 43 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 7:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
Bill,

Down to the Triumph and hack only?

I don't think I am allowed to talk to you anymore.
That is correct Glenn.
And, of course you are allowed to talk to me anymore
Bill, bsndscm is the proud new owner of Delilah, my knee and hip just couldn't handle the weight anymore.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #34 of 43 Old Mar 18th, 2012, 6:46 pm

I finished up all the farkle installations except my Cee Bailey windshield (not here yet),

I guess a trip to your neck of the woods is in order, sooner rather than later.

Maybe lunch at Something Different?

Glenn

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #35 of 43 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Hello, everyone!

I just joined the community last night and was reading this thread today. I sent a message to Boatzo a few minutes ago to tell him that I live across the river from him in Irvington and am going to be the proud owner of a 2000 1200LT on March 30. I was looking forward to riding with him until I just read where he sold the bike. I still hope we get to meet and he can help me with tips to let me get to know the new bike better. I used to have an '85 K100RT but that was 200 pounds lighter and I was also younger. This is a great website!

Bob
post #36 of 43 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Welcome, Bob!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #37 of 43 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 5:04 pm

One thing you need to know about Bill is........... He has a lift! BTW he still rides, just not on an LT.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAviator
Hello, everyone!

I just joined the community last night and was reading this thread today. I sent a message to Boatzo a few minutes ago to tell him that I live across the river from him in Irvington and am going to be the proud owner of a 2000 1200LT on March 30. I was looking forward to riding with him until I just read where he sold the bike. I still hope we get to meet and he can help me with tips to let me get to know the new bike better. I used to have an '85 K100RT but that was 200 pounds lighter and I was also younger. This is a great website!

Bob

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #38 of 43 Old Mar 20th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Thought I'd chime in here as I sold my '99 K12LT Custom with 88k. I only had one major issue with it, had to replace the clutch at about 75k+/-. Other than that, I just put gas, oil and tires into it with the occasional tuneup. I think the valves only had to be adjusted once (I bought it with 20k on it). I really liked the LT, but decided to go with something lighter. The other problem with that bike was that I'd head to the store and 300 miles later call home to say I'd be a little late.....

Dave - NH Seacoast
RT-NH1; AMA; MVTR; NETRA;
'02 R1150RT-P; '01 R12C Montana; '07 KLR650; '00 KDX200;
Gone, not forgotten: '05 450EXC; '99 K12LTC; '94 KDX250; '92 R100GS; '77 R75/7; a few others...
post #39 of 43 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 6:50 am

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum. I answered your PMs and you are welcome to use my lift if you can get your border pass punched to come across the bridge . You will find this forum very friendly and informative, especially when it comes to wrenching. I am looking forward to meeting you and chewing the fat.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #40 of 43 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 8:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
That is correct Glenn.
And, of course you are allowed to talk to me anymore
Bill, bsndscm is the proud new owner of Delilah, my knee and hip just couldn't handle the weight anymore.
I am anxiously looking forward to this Friday when she will be delivered to my doorstep!
Thanks Bill!
post #41 of 43 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Hi Bob and welcome to the forum. I answered your PMs and you are welcome to use my lift if you can get your border pass punched to come across the bridge . You will find this forum very friendly and informative, especially when it comes to wrenching. I am looking forward to meeting you and chewing the fat.

I guess now I am just chopped liver?

Glenn

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #42 of 43 Old Mar 21st, 2012, 6:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
I guess now I am just chopped liver?
Why do you think that just now?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #43 of 43 Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 6:52 am

Come on Glenn, I'll still go to the BBQ joint with you, just not on the LT

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in