Windshields and taller folk - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

Windshields and taller folk

Riding around on the LT the other day, I tucked down behind the 22" Cee Baley and discovered...there was no wind. At all. If I didn't look like a dork, I'd ride that way all the time!

At 6'6" (before osteoporosis sets in), will a taller aftermarket windshield provide me with that kind of wind isolation, or is it another one of those handicaps you pay for with added height?

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 4:02 pm

Re: Windshields and taller folk

You can get a taller windshiled, check out the ceebaileys ultra flow series in various sizes. They are quiet, really cutting down on the wind noise, but be warned it will cost you in mpg to push that large of sail through the air. I just went the other way and got a vtech sport shield so its smaller and made of polycarbonate. I just raise it up to get the quiet zone.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

Looks like I've got a 22" reverse contour. I'd say with it all the way up, it cuts about 40% of the wind at my height. (Course, that's 1000% better than the 'YOU are the windscreen' I had with the last bike.)

------------------------
05 LT - Blue

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 10:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

These guys have a tall version for the LT, I seem to remember that they just came out with a eXtra tall but I don't see it in their Web page yet, perhaps a call to them would get you the specs. This is the Ztechnik product.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/Z2461?mv_session_id=BpJKKg6K&search_model=bm%2d073 "

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 13 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 11:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like you have a Cee Bailey's #2. Not sure how you're measuring but I have a #2 -2 which is perfect for me. However I don't sit that tall in the saddle my height is in my legs 6' 3" with 36" inseam. When I adjust the windshield so that I look just over the top, I get a nice quiet space. With it all the way up, I get a bit of push from the back at speed but get less water when raining. At the normal position I get 48-9 MPG one up 45-6 two up. Haven't ridden with it up high enough to get a MPG reading (I do hand calc old school. I don't trust BC). In a cross wind you'll get buffeting anyway.
Good luck with making the best choice for you.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 5:05 pm

I put the laminar lip on, changed the dynamics without much increase in size of the barge

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #7 of 13 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 5:54 pm

You can always stop by (again) and swap in my stock windscreen for a test ride for comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
Looks like I've got a 22" reverse contour. I'd say with it all the way up, it cuts about 40% of the wind at my height. (Course, that's 1000% better than the 'YOU are the windscreen' I had with the last bike.)

'15 GTLE

post #8 of 13 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon
You can always stop by (again) and swap in my stock windscreen for a test ride for comparison.
That's not a bad idea....tried upping the chrome covers...that will take more effort that I gave it at first shot. They're on pretty good.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
post #9 of 13 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 6:59 am

I have a tall aftermarket (I think it is Ztech) that came with the bike. I could sell it easily as I only used it once (MPG sucked!!!)
post #10 of 13 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 8:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled
Riding around on the LT the other day, I tucked down behind the 22" Cee Baley and discovered...there was no wind. At all. If I didn't look like a dork, I'd ride that way all the time!

At 6'6" (before osteoporosis sets in), will a taller aftermarket windshield provide me with that kind of wind isolation, or is it another one of those handicaps you pay for with added height?
You might want to look at the Parabellum K1200LT replacement windshield. They are the only ones that I have seen that offer Pop-open vents as an option. They have three sizes, standard, minus 2 inches, and plus 2 inches. Start at this link, http://www.parabellum.com/, and drill down to the Lt.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #11 of 13 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 9:26 am

John, do you have a parabellum on your 05 and how much protection does it offer for the pillion? The original low one that came with my 05 is bad no matter where you put it!

05 Dark Graphite LT
post #12 of 13 Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 12:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 104strad
John, do you have a parabellum on your 05 and how much protection does it offer for the pillion? The original low one that came with my 05 is bad no matter where you put it!
Dave, I bought the bike used and it came with a Vstream tall, http://www.nationalcycle.com/whybuy.html on mine. The wife ( hate to call her a pillion ) says she gets no wind and can take a nap if she needed one. A good friend of mine has the BMW original and after we swapped bikes he said that the Vstream provided more protection than the original. I did a little research for him and came across the Parabellum as an alternate.

If you do a search you will find a few folks that have the Parabellum and like it.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Last edited by johnbaker15; Mar 2nd, 2012 at 12:33 pm.
post #13 of 13 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

When you folks say the higher windshield destroys your gas mileage...what are we talking about? 2-3 mpg? 5+?

(DAMN but it sure was windy this weekend. )

------------------------
05 LT - Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in