Finally "threw in the towel" and bought a new Brake modulator - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 3:04 pm Thread Starter

Finally "threw in the towel" and bought a new Brake modulator

WOW...that was a quick $2100 phone order even after a 20% parts discount...lol. Sorry...just had to vent on here a bit.

I have been casually tinkering with my "faulty" brake modulator for the past year in hopes of getting it to magically heal itself. After several removals, cleanings and re-installs....I satisfied myself that it is infact "dead"....lol. I have been riding my other bikes the past year and am looking forward to getting the LT "safe to ride" again. I'm hoping to do a couple week long trip out west this fall and def want to do it on the LT.

A QUESTION for John Z., Dean....or any of you other very knowledgeable and helpful friends on here..... After I install the new modulator....will I get any fault codes that will need to be cleared or reset? Both times that I removed and re-installed my original Modulator, it seemed to work like it did before removal (not properly-leaks and/or not building and holding pressure) and was "recognized" by the bike and its "computer". I read in my Clymer and BMW manuals and the tech PDF's on here about the "modec" test at the dealer?? Will I def need to do that or is that just a brake system test to ensure proper operation...which I will probably do if thats what it is.

I would ask the dealer I am buying the part from but I dont care for them. The owner pissed me off a few years ago when I was trying to ask a simple question and his response was....we cannot charge $90.00 an hour labor and then have our techs be at the counter answering questions. I'm a Harley guy who also owns an LT and that "snotty attitude" is soooo differnet than anything I ever experienced at Harley shops. At least this BMW shop gave me the 20% part discount when I mentioned some other dealers do....lol.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 5:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Finally "threw in the towel" and bought a new Brake modulator

I can't remember what year yours is but I presume it is an early one since you call it a modulator and not a pump. In any case if all is well it should not have a "stored" fault code and not require a reset. If yours is an integral system it self clears any faults once they are fixed so you should be OK as well.

OK I went back and you have an 04. When you install it you should fill the reservoirs pushing fluid up from the front and rear calipers through the ABS unit and the long tubes to the reservoir by the saddle bag. Fill the front reservoir and bleed it out the inboard tall bleed nipple. Once you do that and bleed the rear control (res is already full) via the outboard tall nipple you should be OK and have no faults if the unit is OK.

The dealer test is a good idea as it will let you know if you got all the air out of the lines and if you have any weak hoses. If all is well with the install you should see the wigwag lights go out after you roll a few feet. Just take it easy until you are satisfied it is functioning right even if you don't get any new faults.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; Feb 28th, 2012 at 6:56 pm.
post #3 of 5 Old Feb 29th, 2012, 7:07 am Thread Starter

THANK YOU JOHN....good to know the info you provided. Yes its an 04 and I have re-installed, filled and bled the bad one a few times so I'm getting half decent at that part...lol. Just still "irks me" and makes me chuckle every time I think about the price of this part.

Steve

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 27th, 2012, 12:15 am

I have the same problem that you mentioned since the beginning. Brakes just stop working when triangle light turns on. Do you think the only answer is to buy a brake pump or bake modulator? What I do not understand is why brake works fine until triangle light goes on if the pump does work it supposed to work at all times.
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 16th, 2014, 1:28 am

Smile Re: Finally "threw in the towel" and bought a new Brake modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser View Post
THANK YOU JOHN....good to know the info you provided. Yes its an 04 and I have re-installed, filled and bled the bad one a few times so I'm getting half decent at that part...lol. Just still "irks me" and makes me chuckle every time I think about the price of this part.

Steve
Hi Steve I am changing my ABS pump next week are they reasonably straight forward? It would be good to have a quick run down of what's to strip off if you don't mind. There doesn't seem to be any reference to it in the Clymer book. By the way mine is a 2005

Cheers Bren

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in