Torque spec for coolant temp switch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Torque spec for coolant temp switch

Clymer doesn't specify a torque spec that I can find for the coolant temperature switch. Anyone have that info? My bike is sitting here, dripping fresh coolant, while I wait a week to ten days for the $40 replacement for the one I over-torqued.

'15 GTLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Torque spec for coolant temp switch

Well, nevrmind. Autosearch found it in tonygret's spreadsheet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon
Clymer doesn't specify a torque spec that I can find for the coolant temperature switch. Anyone have that info? My bike is sitting here, dripping fresh coolant, while I wait a week to ten days for the $40 replacement for the one I over-torqued.

'15 GTLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 7:19 am

Re: Torque spec for coolant temp switch

I'd torque it the same as the oil filter cover bolts.............steel into aluminum..........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 2:26 pm

Talking Re: Torque spec for coolant temp switch

Quote:
My Clymer says 9 NM..... page 163 near the bottom.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 10 Old Feb 27th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Run to your local Ace hardware and buy some liquid thread sealer compound in the plumbing aisle. It's best described as a greenish colored runny clay. Haven't found any threads yet it won't seal up. That'll give you peace of mind on the install since it got over torqued and might be prone to leakage.

post #6 of 10 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

Well, I just may have to do that. I put the new sensor in, torqued to 9nm and it is leaking. I had some hi temp teflon tape laying around so I tried that and seems to be sealed well. Anyone think this might throw off the temp reading?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
Run to your local Ace hardware and buy some liquid thread sealer compound in the plumbing aisle. It's best described as a greenish colored runny clay. Haven't found any threads yet it won't seal up. That'll give you peace of mind on the install since it got over torqued and might be prone to leakage.

'15 GTLE

post #7 of 10 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 4:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well, I just may have to do that. I put the new sensor in, torqued to 9nm and it is leaking. I had some hi temp teflon tape laying around so I tried that and seems to be sealed well. Anyone think this might throw off the temp reading?
You still used a crush washer with it didn't you? As long as the metal portion of the switch is making contact with the aluminum housing you should be OK.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #8 of 10 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You should be ok. It's just a thermal resister. Two wires on it, correct? Two wires means it's not grounded (normally) through the threads.

post #9 of 10 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 4:37 pm Thread Starter

Actually just a single wire, so I will have to make sure there is continuity to ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
You should be ok. It's just a thermal resister. Two wires on it, correct?

'15 GTLE

post #10 of 10 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 4:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Check that and you should be good. A small dab of never seize thread compound will help ensure that proper ground.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in