Difficulty getting on center stand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 9:52 am Thread Starter

Angry Difficulty getting on center stand

I have 2003 LT. My good friend also has one. Last week I had both bikes in my garage. The goal was to do some pre-season maintenance and install new front tires. I tried to get my bike on the centerstand and hurt by back. My friend put his bike on the centerstand without much difficulty but when he tried mine he couldnt do it either.

This morning I made another attempt. I had to move his bike and I was able to put in back up the centerstand fairly easily. When I tried mine. I couldnt do it.

Both bikes were on flat ground (in my garage) and I centered both and pushed down on the centerstand to touch the ground, before I tried to raise it.

I then started to think that my centerstand must be bent. Maybe I bottomed out too hard? or maybe when I crashed (accelerated too hard out of a left turn with cold tires and the back tire let go and the bike slid on the centerstand for about 20ft.)

I put the bike on my lift and did an inspection. I was going to take the centerstand off, but everything seems OK. No visible misalignments.

Now I'm thinking that my bike is sitting lower due to rear suspension sag. I have 17,000 miles on my bike, he has 8,000. I'm at a loss (and my back hurts). If the next generation wasn't a year away, I would trade it in for a 2006 with an electric centerstand.

I just picked up a trick to back the bike on to a 2x6 first. I think I'll go try that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:01 am

Did you check your rear tire pressure? If your tire is (relatively) flat it may be the source of your problem.
At 17000 miles your rear suspension should not be sagging yet...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_nj1
I have 2003 LT.

Now I'm thinking that my bike is sitting lower due to rear suspension sag. I have 17,000 miles on my bike, he has 8,000.
I just picked up a trick to back the bike on to a 2x6 first. I think I'll go try that.
Check your shocks for any possoble leaking. If they are leaking, your sag will make it difficult to put on center stand. Mine were shot at 20,000 miles. Another check is to see how upright it sets on side stand compared to your buddies. If you are still in warranty, they are covered. Mine were. In addition I asked if I could pay the difference and put ohlins in. They agreed, but that will depend on how good a relationship you have with the dealer. Just another reason for showing up with KK's or pizza occassionally !!!!!!

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:16 am

Question

What is the preload (under seat) setting on your rear shock? Increase it and see if that helps. Stock shocks don't last very long and it may be time for replacement. I have Ohlin's and the LT does sit higher due to the upgraded shock. This obviously makes it very easy to pop up on the stand.

May we never find the end of the road!

oknplm

Perry Ridgway
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:27 am
Super Moderator

Cool Not my back

The method I use to get the bike on is to never use my back. I put on a pair of boots and use nothing but my right leg to push down on the foot rest. I only grab the bike to stabilize it and myself.

I have found that grabbing the handle bar and the left hand saddle bag handle and trying to lift and push at the same time places your body in a potentially bad position for torquing those with tender backs.

I also lubricate the bearing points on the center and side stand- you will be surprised how much that helps.

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 11:18 am

You may also need to add fluid to your pre-load adjuster. I know I did and it helped alot. I believe there is something in the HOW section on it. Easy fix!

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

Last edited by patroa1; Mar 19th, 2006 at 11:32 am.
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 11:22 am Thread Starter

Now I have uneven brake pad wear

Thanks for all the suggestions. I backed it up on to a 2x6 and then it went up without a problem.

I changed the tire, but after inspecting the brakes I see that 1 brade pad is almost completely worn while the other 3 have plenty of material left.. I better go do a search on that topic now...

How do know when your shocks are worn? I had the bike out last week for a 200 mile trip through the mountains and it handled fine (once I put air in the tires)
post #8 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 11:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroa1
You may also need to add fluid to your pre-load adjuster. I know I did and it helped alot. I believe there is something in the HOW section on it. Easy fix!
I recently followed that advice and it does work. It really restored full-range adjustment to the rear shock. Here's the Link to the HOW!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #9 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 11:57 am

Thumbs up

I have a 2000 Lt with 37000 miles on it. When I first tried to put on the center stand I had a problem. The wife of the shops owner, had to show me how. I thing I was doing wrong was trying to set it up on only one leg of the center stand.

After getting the center stand down with the right foot on the lever, check that the bike is on both leg of the stand. I rock it from side to side before pushing down with my weight on the center stand lever. When this is done it goes right up.

Hope this helps. sure was glad it was only the bosses wife and I in the show room that day back in March of 2000.

Ride safe.
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 7:14 pm

QUOTE: Now I'm thinking that my bike is sitting lower due to rear suspension sag. I have 17,000 miles on my bike, he has 8,000. I'm at a loss (and my back hurts). If the next generation wasn't a year away, I would trade it in for a 2006 with an electric centerstand.

That may be the give away that your shock is going out. It is impossible to say how long a stock shock will last. Even Ohlin's recommends rebuild at approximately 25,000 miles. Variables like how much do you weigh, do you ride one up or two up most of the time. What kind of roads do you ride on (backroads or interstate) riding style (laid back or bal$% to the walls). The main spring on the back shock may have lost some of its lift based on the variables as well. I replaced a new 03 LT with Ohlin's, even compared to new OEM shocks, the ease in which it took to pop the LT up on its centerstand was like day and night. I also put Ohlin's on a brand new 05 and even with the power lift I could tell how much easier it was to get it on the centerstand. The shocks are matched to my weight, other specs and makes the LT sit higher than stock. Check the preload system to see if it is working, it should give you a little extra height unless it is already jacked all the way up. Look around the shock to see if there are any obvious leaks. To me it sounds like you may need new shocks

May we never find the end of the road!

oknplm

Perry Ridgway .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in