Another...'Is it the battery' Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 4:30 am Thread Starter

Another...'Is it the battery' Question

2002LT 24k miles... 2 yr old battery regularly used and put on a BMW tender.

I came home from a run the other day with seemingly no problems. The following day I was unable to start the bike. I have tried and retried and checked all the normal user errors. ie Not in reverse, in neutral, stop switch off etc. I appear to have power as the lights come on, but the horn does not operate...not even a feeble squeek! and nor do the indicators.
And, importantly, the imobiliser is appearing to do nothing. No indicators coming on...nothing.
So the question is...Is this the battery or is the imobiliser failing (Imobiliser battery replaced just in case, and the red light on the unit is showing.) Or is there somewhere else I should be looking.
I have poor mechanical skills, made up for with an unwillingness to give the dealer an open check!

Any help would be very much appreciated as the sun has started shining here in the UK.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 6:53 am

Re: Another...'Is it the battery' Question

First question is the batteries voltage?

If it is just a tad low, the K1200LT will not start. It really needs a full charge.

The fact that it doesn't even start to turn over though might mean something else. First check voltage and if it's possible to check the battery under a load.

My 02 went through 3 batteries in 8 years.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 7:24 am

2 year old battery sounds a little soon for it to die but not unheard of. From the description it does sound like you have a battery that is low or won't take the charge anymore. Like Dan said if the voltage is too low it won't start and if it tried could even weld your starter relay.

You didn't mention the kind of battery. If you had a battery tender from 2002 designed for lead/acid and kept a gel type battery continuously hooked up to it, that may have shortened the battery's life considerably.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 9 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 7:51 am

Michael,
You raise a good point about lead acid vs gel. I went to BT website and read their specs. They do have a tender for lead acid and one for gel cells. When I went to the "summary" on the gel tender, it "says" that it is intended for any lead acid battery. I don't know if they just used the same summary from the lead acid tender by mistake or if it means what it says.

Now I'm confused.

Rocket Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 8:02 am

You can use the later gel tender to for either gel or lead/acid batteries. The Gel tender has rest period built in the charge cycle so it won't cook the gel. The lead/acid battery doesn't need the rest cycle but resting won't 'hurt' the lead/acid battery. Also just fyi the Gel charger (BMW) can also keep the AGM style charged but might not be able to charge a low AGM battery depending on how low it got.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 2:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
Is it 'norml' when the battery is dead for the lights to work, but not the imobilser, horn or indicators.
many thanks
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo2phil
Thanks for the replies.
Is it 'norml' when the battery is dead for the lights to work, but not the imobilser, horn or indicators.
many thanks
Yes it possible, also the electrics can go wacko and make your speedometer run while not moving.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 26th, 2012, 7:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

An easy way to check is to simply put some jumper cables on it. Using a car battery to jump start will not harm the bike or the smaller battery as long as you observe polarity and don't short it out.

post #9 of 9 Old Feb 28th, 2012, 7:22 am

Had a similar problem last year. Turned out to be a loose connection at one of the battery poles. Worth checking if not already done.
Cheers!

Greetings from Ireland!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in