Do your brakes click - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 8:29 am Thread Starter

Do your brakes click

Hello Guys,

Another question on the continous saga's we all have on brakes and bleeding etc.

I recently bleed my brakes after installing new pads. As you may have read elsewhere, I had some difficulties but all seems sorted now. However, when I brake at very slow speed, I can head the calipers clicking once as they apply pressure to the pads. They probably click at higher speeds also, but of course I cannot hear it.

I cannot say that they never did this in the past, but I do not recall it. The brakes work perfectly, but just when I am braking at very slow, they sort of clack, clack clack as I brake, brake, brake.

Unless you guys have a suggestion, I am going to assume that the clacking is just because the power brakes do not give the perfect feel that directly controlled brakes do, maybe the pump is just kicking in at that point and applying a jump in the pressure applied.

If I brake very gently, they do not click, but I do mean very gently.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Mark

Mark Breen

Ireland

K1200LT & R1100RT

728i Also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 8:35 am

I do not know if you are talking about front or rear brakes, or both. If the front is making noise, did you use bmw pads? If not, that is your problem. The bmw pads have a retainer clips on the front pads to stop rattles. As for the rear (and front), I do not hear anything with the radio playing.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 8:39 am Thread Starter

Opps Sorry, the front

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
I do not know if you are talking about front or rear brakes, or both. If the front is making noise, did you use bmw pads? If not, that is your problem. The bmw pads have a retainer clips on the front pads to stop rattles. As for the rear (and front), I do not hear anything with the radio playing.
Hello Mtrevelino

Sorry about that, it is the front that I hear clicking. It is not when I am riding, or not even once I start applying brake pressure, it is only when I go from not braking to applying the brake. I am also not talking about brake sqeal of any sort. Let me know if I still have not described this clearly, oh, and thanks for the very prompt reply.

Mark Breen

Ireland

K1200LT & R1100RT

728i Also

post #4 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 8:51 am

I hear a similar metallic noise from the front brake when gently applying the brakes at low speed on my '05. I never heard this on my '99 but of course that bike didn't have the power assisted integrated system. I first heard that noise when I test road the used '05 that I now own. I ask the wrench at the dealership about the noise and he told me that it is caused because the "power assist pushes the wheel cylinder pistons out so quickly that they click when they hit the pads". Perhaps out of ignorance I accepted his answer and bought the bike. I've put about 6000 miles on the bike since then and still hear the click but have experienced no problems and the brakes are still fantastic. I now assume it's "normal".

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 9:02 am

Could it be the floating rotor disc?
post #6 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
Hello Big E,

No, I am familiar with that sound from my R1100RT and it is not that.

FYI, I changed all twenty four bushing on the R1100RT and it solved the rattling disk problem. I was told in advance that the looser the disk the better the floating effect, but I hated the noise.

Thanks anyway,

Mark

Mark Breen

Ireland

K1200LT & R1100RT

728i Also
post #7 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbreen
Hello Guys,

I cannot say that they never did this in the past, but I do not recall it. The brakes work perfectly, but just when I am braking at very slow, they sort of clack, clack clack as I brake, brake, brake.

Mark
Have '02 and what you describe is normal. See Lynn Keens comments as well. No issues.

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"
post #8 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 9:18 am

Clicking Brakes & Noisey discs

I have recently purchase at 2002 with ABS and power assistance braking.

I noticed the identical loud Clicking as I slowly maneuvered the bike at the petrol station. I will be taking it to the dealer for a check over but am encouraged that others say its normal - seems to be plenty of pad left but at modestly slow speeds it sounds terrible. Also when braking at slow speed the brakes sound like metal-to-metal grinding.

Any more comments on either of these topic appreciated (from an ex GoldWinger)
post #9 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 9:39 am

Yup, mine does that.. it is especially bad after I give my bike a good bath. When it's been ridden until filthy the noise is much less...same for the rear brake noise...

I agree with Lynn and others.. no problems!

Also, I noticed if I am careful to very gently apply front brakes there is little or no clicking.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 1:02 pm

My front pads click when manouvering back and forth at walking pace. Stripped and checked by BMW, no fault found. BMW standard pads installed.
post #11 of 21 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:52 am

Does anyone know why and is it a real problem ?

This thread seems to have died without an answer. Im hopeing someone has an answer because my 2002 does the exact same thing
(at least its nice to know im not alone with a unique problem)
post #12 of 21 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 1:57 pm

Mine is going in for service this Sunday...will nip the techies head about it once more and see what he comes up with. I now have all 3 clicking away on my 02.
post #13 of 21 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:30 pm

After I put new pads (OEM) on the front, I too heard a single "click" when I applied the brakes. Found out that the anti-rattle spring on one pad had bent slightly and was not holding the pad still. Took the offending pad out, bent the anti-rattle spring so it would have more tension at the pin, and have not had any rattle since. I have the old style brakes (early '01) and the later ones have a little different spring design. Still, I would check while the bike is parked to see if there is any play at one of the pads and take it from there... Good luck!

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT
post #14 of 21 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 4:17 pm

Re: Do your brakes click

i have a 08 k1200lt and my front and back brakes clicked it is the rivets that make the disc float that are worn . there is 3 new ones on order for me.
i am not saying that is whats wrong with yours
all the best
eamon
post #15 of 21 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 5:16 pm

Front Brake click and rattle

I have a front brake click as you describe. In addition, I have a rattle that is very noticable at slow speeds on rough roads. (My drive is gravel and I ride on lots of dirt/gravel roads.)

I noticed this rattle after I replaced the OEM pads with EBC. The EBC pads have no spring or clip to keep them from moving in the caliper, and they rattle around on bumpy roads, and there is a click when the brakes are first applied as the pad moves in the caliper.

It isn't a problem. Don't worry, be happy.

If it really bothers you, there are a few ways to stop it. Auto parts stores will sell various forms of spray or goop to apply to the back of the pad to keep if from rattling around. Actually, any sort of silicone applied to the back of the pad will work.
post #16 of 21 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 9:56 am

I currently have a clicking noise on my 99' but I know what my problem is. I just recently replaced the front pads with Galfers and one of the pads did not have the retaining clip that keeps the pad secure in one place. At first I almost sent them back but then I figured they were cheap pads and I still have a lot of pad left on the old pads. I was just testing the Galfers, which by the way they Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek when cold. I bed them in and man they Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #17 of 21 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 8:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emon
i have a 08 k1200lt and my front and back brakes clicked it is the rivets that make the disc float that are worn . there is 3 new ones on order for me.
i am not saying that is whats wrong with yours
all the best
eamon
Hello Eamon,

I sold my LT and now have an 87 GS. I still miss the LT and may go back to one, how do you like the 08. Is it great? I never minded the size of mine, but I always worried about it breaking down on long trips. that was why I bought the 87 GS. Funny thing is that the LT never broke down and the GS broke down on the way back from Germany. No big problems though and now all is OK,

Would love to see a photo of the 08, email me a few if you wish, [email protected]

Mark

Mark Breen

Ireland

K1200LT & R1100RT

728i Also
post #18 of 21 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 9:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E

Yes, that is what it is and is normal. I had the same concern and had it explained to me by a BMW tech.....

2007 K1200LT BLACK
post #19 of 21 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 11:47 am

I had mine start to make that noise after I had the rotors off the wheel. I dertermined that it was only one of them and removed it and rotated it to a different position. Now it's totally quiet.

You don't have to remove it from the bike. just pry the calipers apart a little and try to turn each rotor. If one or both of them move enough to make a little noise just take the bolts out (being carefull not to lose the shims behind the rotor if it has them) and rotate the rotor to another position. Replace and touque the bolts, then try again.

Only one of mine was loose and I got it quieted down on the first try.

Good luck !
post #20 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 6:55 pm

Had a clicking noise or more like a small stone behind a hub cap on a car. I only heard it at slow speeds. Took it to the dealer and he road it around and heard it. The service tech immediately went for the brakes and looked bushed pulled and so on. He said not the brakes. So he drained the gear lube from the rear end. Checked for metal, finding none refilled it and told me to bring it back if it changed or got worse.

I have not heard any sound since. What's up with that?
post #21 of 21 Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:35 pm

I have a 02 lt and I have the same problem clacking on the rear rotor while riding slow on uneven roads. I really got tired of the noise and during a weekend I took out the rear tire, also the rotor taking out 8 screws plus the pads 2 screws. When I have the rotor on the table I fill out the floating break disk with silicone. The noise disappear right away I had been driving for thousand miles without any problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in